PDA

View Full Version : Help with Freesat and sky dish/cable please

allycoops
26th November, 2010, 12:31 PM
Just ordered a new TV for my Mother.

TV has Freesat tuner installed.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TX-L32G20L-Freeview-Freesat/dp/B003LEJKJE?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_2&sr=1-2&qid=1290770956&pf_rd_r=1V4WRFJV5N5SZGPFF5X9&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=198143031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

There is an old zone 2 Sky dish on the wall outside house (high up) probably 12years old.

Cable goes over the roof and down the other side of house but has been cut before entry through wall into house.

Rather than start from scratch with new full length of cable from LNB to TV which would be a big pain in the arse. Is there a reliable way of joining the cable and creating an extension, bearing in mind that the join would be on an outside wall exposed to the elements.

And would the dish and LNB be Ok or would I need to fit new LNB and or dish. Only asking about new ones because the length of time they have been up (12yrs)?? I know if they were newish they'd be ok for freesat

Cheers Lads

dick b
26th November, 2010, 01:40 PM
you can make a join no prob using 2 f-plugs and a joining nipple then wind self amalgamating tape tightly round the joint to weather proof.but after 12yrs I suspect the lot needs replacing.over the roof cables take a lot of stick.
but for the sake of a bit of cable try it.
if it doesnt work perhaps you can install a new dish lower down and pin the cable round the brick work or if a terraced house go through the sofit and through the loft space.
you can get a new zone2 dish complete with lnb and wall mount for ?40

allycoops
26th November, 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks Pal, I'll try new cable 1st, if that don't work I'll get someone to bang a new dish up.