PDA

View Full Version : dishwasher wont drain help please

cablefreejunkie
29th November, 2010, 01:40 PM
as the title says
my dishwasher wont drain,,now i have searched every nook and cranny of the internet and every piece of info on this issue and cant seem to find any answer to my problem,,,i have cleaned out the under sink bend etc etc its gleamingly clean and not blocked at all,,,,the dishwasher will pump the water away with the drain pipe in a bucket,,,if i lift the bucket up as its draining i can get the bucket higher than the dishwasher and its still pumping the water away no problem at all,but the minute i connect it to the under sink contraption it wont drain away,,,if i put a bucket under the sink and disconnect the drain hose while the dishwasher is trying to drain the water it immediately spurts out of the pipe and drains away,,,,but why wont it drain once connected to the u bend
this isnt a new dishwasher but worked perfectly well before i got it from my sister
any help would be much appreciated

reddevil157
29th November, 2010, 02:06 PM
as the title says
my dishwasher wont drain,,now i have searched every nook and cranny of the internet and every piece of info on this issue and cant seem to find any answer to my problem,,,i have cleaned out the under sink bend etc etc its gleamingly clean and not blocked at all,,,,the dishwasher will pump the water away with the drain pipe in a bucket,,,if i lift the bucket up as its draining i can get the bucket higher than the dishwasher and its still pumping the water away no problem at all,but the minute i connect it to the under sink contraption it wont drain away,,,if i put a bucket under the sink and disconnect the drain hose while the dishwasher is trying to drain the water it immediately spurts out of the pipe and drains away,,,,but why wont it drain once connected to the u bend
this isnt a new dishwasher but worked perfectly well before i got it from my sister
any help would be much appreciatedYou have turned on your tap's to make sure it's not blocked further down the waste pipe ?, and you've checked the spiggot as well as the p trap ?.

Grizz
29th November, 2010, 02:11 PM
~~~~, thats a strange one. by any chance is the pipe kinking as you put it in the drain pipe, then spurting out when you remove cause kink releases?

Canker_Canison
29th November, 2010, 02:16 PM
The problem won't be with your dishwasher. Does your waste pipe have an internal or external connection to the drains?

Given the cold weather I'd be looking for an ice blockage on an external pipe.

Try filling the sink with hot water, start the drain on the dishwasher then pull the sink plug to empty the hot water down the drain.

Is there a drain trap on the u-bend? Have you checked this for fat deposits? I blocked a sink a few years ago after allowing kebab fat to go down the sink....not nice. The center pipe was blocked but everything else was clean.

frankharrison
29th November, 2010, 03:28 PM
It may be your pump. If it's not giving anything out when you bring end of pipe up. The only other thing is blockage in the pump or to the pump but that would stop just about all water coming out.
Another thought. Have you checked the wires to the outlet pump? Could be loose or corroded.
You'll have to lean washer over to get at pump so get as much water out as you can.

cablefreejunkie
29th November, 2010, 03:54 PM
thanks for the replies ladies and gents
i have ,after a trip to the local appliance shop,sorted the problem
i took the little pipe off of the u bend that the drain pipe fits over and took that to the shop to explain my problem to the very helpful assistant,who after one look at the pipe,and with a slight smirk on his face,looks me in the eye and says,sir theres a bung in the end of this pipe,its the blue cap on the end,its been put there to stop any water flying out of the end when there hasnt been an appliance connected to it you need to remove it and the problem will be solved,,i didnt know where to look,,as you can imagine i wanted the ground to open up and swallow me up there and then
anyway glad to report that its now working fine,may this be a lesson to all

reddevil157
29th November, 2010, 03:57 PM
thanks for the replies ladies and gents
i have ,after a trip to the local appliance shop,sorted the problem
i took the little pipe off of the u bend that the drain pipe fits over and took that to the shop to explain my problem to the very helpful assistant,who after one look at the pipe,and with a slight smirk on his face,looks me in the eye and says,sir theres a bung in the end of this pipe,its the blue cap on the end,its been put there to stop any water flying out of the end when there hasnt been an appliance connected to it you need to remove it and the problem will be solved,,i didnt know where to look,,as you can imagine i wanted the ground to open up and swallow me up there and then
anyway glad to report that its now working fine,may this be a lesson to alllollollolThat's how we all learn m8