PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Window Seals

Devilfish
3rd December, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hi folks,

Was wondering if anyones in the double glazing game and could offer any advice. I want to replace all the rubber seals on all my windows (where the window closes against the frame). I found some on sealsdirect.co.uk (http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=8) but not sure of the procedure or specifically what seal to buy.

They're CR Smith windows.

Cheers
Devilfish

mept1
3rd December, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hi folks,

Was wondering if anyones in the double glazing game and could offer any advice. I want to replace all the rubber seals on all my windows (where the window closes against the frame). I found some on sealsdirect.co.uk (http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=8) but not sure of the procedure or specifically what seal to buy.

They're CR Smith windows.

Cheers
Devilfish

First thing is see if they can be removed?,they are usally cliped into a grove into the sash and outerframe,..if they can it,s a very simple job to do,..this one on ebay is a universal gasket
R4055X FLIPPER UPVC WINDOW DOOR RUBBER GASKET SEAL on eBay (end time 15-Dec-10 11:23:01 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R4055X-FLIPPER-UPVC-WINDOW-DOOR-RUBBER-GASKET-SEAL-/110611991185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19c0fd0a91)
If i wasyou i would snip a little bit of were the join is,and see if it,s somthing similar

This one fits all 10 MTRS, BLACK 6571 QLON UPVC WINDOW/DOOR GASKET SEAL on eBay (end time 07-Dec-10 12:30:48 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-MTRS-BLACK-6571-QLON-UPVC-WINDOW-DOOR-GASKET-SEAL-/120393342173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c08009cdd)

Walkinmyshadow
3rd December, 2010, 04:30 PM
Firstly im not in the double glazing game, but i am involved in construction and regularly install replacement panes/windows/doors etc.

If you feel comfortable replacing new seals then good on you,
trouble is finding the right seal to do the job, thing is most window/door company's buy in thousands of metres of window profile (seals included) then cut it up to make the frames and sashes.
From time to time its possible the company will change suppliers due to financial reasons or whatever.
What im getting at is the only fail safe way of knowing what type of seal is to remove a length or even a piece to compare it with whats available.

Heres another quandary.. Are the glazing beads on the inside or outside?
If theyre on the outside then trying to remove them and the pane of glass from an upstairs window is as dodgy as ~~~~.

As i said if you feel comfortable doing it then good on you, but there should be plenty of professional window fitters looking to earn an extra buck by replacing seals, and a quick look at the seal in your windows should tell them exactly what type you need.

Devilfish
3rd December, 2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, great info there.

I certainly won't be removing any panes or anything like that. It's not the seal that's on the actual window I want to replace. It's the seal on the window frame, the rubber bit that the window presses against when you close the window.

mept1
3rd December, 2010, 04:38 PM
Yep understand that,...them 2 links i gave you is what you require or somthing very similar.

Devilfish
3rd December, 2010, 04:47 PM
Kool...magic m8, thanks! :)

Walkinmyshadow
3rd December, 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, great info there.

I certainly won't be removing any panes or anything like that. It's not the seal that's on the actual window I want to replace. It's the seal on the window frame, the rubber bit that the window presses against when you close the window.

Ahhhh...lol.. The window within the main window!!!
I dont want to sound pedantic but thats known as a sash m8... replacing seals in the frame that the sash fits into is a piece of pish..

Jasus i have visions of you up a ladder taking out panes of glass, and Mrs Devilfish with a worried look shouting "be careful be careful" :roflmao:

Devilfish
3rd December, 2010, 05:12 PM
A sash it is then! :)

cactikid
3rd December, 2010, 05:47 PM
the mrs would be shaking the ladder,and dont worry about the goey grease on 3rd rung from the top of ladder.lol

Grizz
7th December, 2010, 09:37 PM
i have a local window company that are usually good enough to supply any replacement original parts if they can. maybe if you give a call to the manufacturer, they might provide you with a roll of the original seal if they still use same. make life easier for you if you had the exact same profile stuff.

DogdySnigwirter
3rd January, 2011, 03:29 PM
Did you succeed in changing the gasket/seal?