PDA

View Full Version : Ford IDS/VCM Unlock info.

integlikewhoa
4th December, 2010, 10:32 AM
Having some Ford 7.3L and some newer Ford gas CNG motors I need to maintain, and only having a Nexiq USB-LINK.
I'm looking into getting a ford IDS/VCM kit. 2500 later I'm wondering what my options would be after the first year if I choose not to pay 500.00 every year. I know ford will make me pay back charges if I try and update later, but what will happen to my current setup.

1) What happens and when does it "Time out".
2) I know you can download IDS for free from the motorcraft sight how does that work? Is it a trial? Does it only work with a VCM?
3) Where do the calibrations come from for engine reprogramming? Will those stop?
4) What's Unlocking? Whats involved?

Thanks,

drakov
4th December, 2010, 10:45 AM
If you are buying genuine unit my advise is pay the $500, if those fees are not going to be justified because not used enough, then don't buy genuine, in 1 year if you cannot levy that fee onto customers extra $2 per job or something, then I wouldn't buy genuine interface, just my thoughts.

jnand
4th December, 2010, 12:19 PM
Having some Ford 7.3L and some newer Ford gas CNG motors I need to maintain, and only having a Nexiq USB-LINK.
I'm looking into getting a ford IDS/VCM kit. 2500 later I'm wondering what my options would be after the first year if I choose not to pay 500.00 every year. I know ford will make me pay back charges if I try and update later, but what will happen to my current setup.

2) I know you can download IDS for free from the motorcraft sight how does that work? Is it a trial? Does it only work with a VCM?
3) Where do the calibrations come from for engine reprogramming? Will those stop?

Thanks,

1) when subscription expires, you can continue to diagnose but not reprogram modules or code keys

2)It is not a trial. Will work with a legit VCM.

3) Calibrations come on dvd when you buy a VCM. You can choose to update via disc for an extra fee, in which case, cal files will be on the disc. Other option is to have internet access on your PC when checking for updated SW on your vehicle. Yes they will stop if subscription expires.

4) Dont know what "unlocking" is. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

The only regret you will have is "why did I wait so long to buy this tool", a legit unit, that is. Cheers mate

integlikewhoa
4th December, 2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Just to clear up. This is for a small fleet of 20 Cut-A-Way buses. Its a private fleet, so no extra cost to pass on to the customer. It's all on us on how we want to keep the same 20 vehicles on the road.

We also have bigger buses with Cummins and Allisons and such, nice thing with those is we bought the 700.00 USB-Link and everything else was takin care of here. This adaptor
costs alot more, and now I might have to pay yearly. I'm looking for a way around that. I also have a some chevy C5500's that I'm going to look into a scanner for next. MDI vs. Tech II, but thats another thread.

deepbase
5th December, 2010, 08:05 AM
If your looking for a scanner to work on Ford, take a look at the Snap on Solus Pro. It's not as good as Factory tool, but it does 99% of the things you need, Injector Buzz Test...etc.

It will also work on C5500's if they are powered by Duramax's, just input it as a 3500.

integlikewhoa
7th December, 2010, 12:49 AM
I have a Snap-on Modis. Looking for more dealer level control. I ended up ordering the Rotunda tool. 2500.00 is what its costing me. Paying one time for each tool is alot easier for me then have to pay 500.00 or more each year for every different one.

Digamax
3rd January, 2011, 09:31 AM

Thanks,
Hi, after Time out, you can reinstall Windows on your pc, back date, reinstall IDC software and you have full programming posibilities again.

Best regards
Vladimir

nutloose
12th January, 2011, 07:16 PM
the IDS VCM will diagnose and program all ford and Mazda vehicles to dealer level. If you could be bothered to reflash it you could do Jaguar Landrover too.
If you cant make or save $500 a year on your own fleet and anyone else's why are you messing around with them.
change your job

you could buy a used one with VMM too which would then give you 2 channel oscilloscope functions with datalogger and PVT, auto gearbox adaptors and current clamps to 500A and other specific tests for cop etc. works great with all makes.