PDA

View Full Version : DDNS feature on linksys

philly
5th December, 2010, 12:52 AM
Hi all,
My knowledge of routers is very basic indeed. I am hosting a server and have an account with dyndns.org (to track my ip) which works fine.
I recently replaced my router with a Linksys / Cisco unit and noticed that it has a facility called DDNS. Here I can input my dyndns account details etc. Q. Is this feature similar to running updater on my PC to track my ip. I have not seen this feature on my older routers.

macendale
5th December, 2010, 12:57 AM
Yes, its the same. I have a linksys and what I have to do is choose the provider of the iptracking (dyndns.org in my case), enter the username and password of the account I have on the provider site and the name og the host (just the name, not the whole address).

philly
5th December, 2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks macendale,
I did not have this option set up at first and after about 4 weeks I lost connectivity with my server. I had to run dyndns updater and everything worked straight away. Now that I have enabled the ddns on my router hopefully this problem will not return.
Philly

csilaj3
10th December, 2010, 05:27 PM
Once you have set up your dyndns username and password in your router, the dyndns updater program is a plus solutionm for working 100% ;)

philly
11th December, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks,
I have set this up so hopefully I should have no problms.

Philly.