PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cleaner do you use to flush a coolant system?

ricz
5th December, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hi. Im wondering what do some of you guys use to flush a coolant system after a replacement of a bad oil cooler (like a cat or even better an isx). At my work what we have been doing is draining the coolant with all the sludge from the oil, dipping a rag or flushing the reservoir (if it can be removed), then filling it up with water and automatic dishwasher soap, letting it run for about an hour then draining the water/soap. Then just filling it up with water.

mondao
5th December, 2010, 07:58 AM
we use a bit of diesel mixed with detergent, also remove the thermostat so that the solution to flow throughout the engine
about three times so that it is clean, very important to change the coolant filter lol

ricz
5th December, 2010, 04:24 PM
yeah I forgot to mention the filter, but I hardly see any cat (3406 or c15) with water filters/corrosion inhibitors. Yeah we never have taken the thermostats out, I'm gonna start doing that.

cactikid
5th December, 2010, 05:12 PM
might have been a few posts around the forum,think someone mentioned cheap cola,never tried it lol,i would be worried about detergents and diesel,rotting hoses.

mondao
5th December, 2010, 06:54 PM
sometimes when the amount is too much with oil in the coolant system, I have to use about 15 liters of diesel and washing powders (detergents)
this in the first wash, because you have to do like 4 or 5 times to make it clean the coolant system, and only a few minutes ago, because without the thermostat, clean soapy water all the hiding places of the engine and radiator
after washing the system, installing the thermostat again, and spoke of the ISX
sry my inglish

drakov
5th December, 2010, 08:08 PM
Fort? Lubricants (http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php?id=41/Bio_Degreaser)

talmadge
6th December, 2010, 06:50 PM
I use dishwasher detrergent , it wont foam and does the job. but cummins makes a cleaner called restore it works good to, but dishwasher works good.

mecanico112
7th December, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hello.
We have had problems with the coolers and we have also used Deutz Fortes.
The issue price.