PDA

View Full Version : Washing Machine Trips RCD

wiseman
6th December, 2010, 11:35 PM
My washing machine keeps tripping, Sometimes it manages a full cycle and finishes it ok, but even off at the knob on the front it still does it untill I unplug it from the wall.

If its doing this when its switched off at the front, it must be something like condensation, or the wiring at the back to the plug??

cablefreejunkie
7th December, 2010, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=wiseman;876471]My washing machine keeps tripping my washing machine, QUOTE

dont put one in front of the other !!!
seriously though if its tripping the rcd then it could be a few things causing the problem

1st the washing machine itself has an intermittent fault
2nd the wiring in the back of the socket could be loose and is therefore arcing and causing the rcd to trip or maybe the socket itself has had it and needs replacing could also be the washing machine cable,,,basically its a process of test and elimination,,if you know a sparky get him round for nowt and get it checked out asap

wiseman
7th December, 2010, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=wiseman;876471]My washing machine keeps tripping my washing machine, QUOTE

dont put one in front of the other !!!
seriously though if its tripping the rcd then it could be a few things causing the problem

1st the washing machine itself has an intermittent fault
2nd the wiring in the back of the socket could be loose and is therefore arcing and causing the rcd to trip or maybe the socket itself has had it and needs replacing could also be the washing machine cable,,,basically its a process of test and elimination,,if you know a sparky get him round for nowt and get it checked out asap

yeah cool guy award for me for writing the same thing twice, was tired lol

chucklor
7th December, 2010, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a earth leakage fault, I would not imagine it would not be the socket as you would not be able to reset the RCD, if you have another circuit in your house run an extension cable to the washer and see if it trips the RCD, it sounds like you have an earth fault on the washer itself could be a loose connection due to the vibration on the input to the controller, hence tripping occurs on the RCD even when the controller is pressed in, the only way to determine it is to have it PAT tested with a class one test, or to strip it down and have a look, but before you do anything I would suggest you change the 13amp plug..

alladdin
27th December, 2010, 04:52 PM
checkit for leaks, while UNPLUGED. maybe some damp causing the tripping. take the covers off and use hairdryer to dry it all off, check low down pump connections etc.

gmb45
28th December, 2010, 04:33 AM
its more likely an intermittent fault with the washer, i had it not long ago, had a sparky in to check everything and everthing was ok, in the end we had a new washer because the old one was past its best, and no problems any more, it was also doing it with our old kettle and iron, which we have also replaced, it could be as well that the rcd trip is over sensative.

ITS A SCAM !
28th December, 2010, 12:30 PM
Can you tell us what the mA rating of ther RCD is ?? It should be 30mA for a general domestic installation. Also is the affected socket part of the ring main or do you have it on a radial circuit ?

wiseman
29th December, 2010, 04:02 AM
Can you tell us what the mA rating of ther RCD is ?? It should be 30mA for a general domestic installation. Also is the affected socket part of the ring main or do you have it on a radial circuit ?

30 mA, Part of the main ring. I have noticed it seams to do it on a 60c wash but it still does it when you turn it off.

BTW you avatar is gona give me nightmares:afraid:

ITS A SCAM !
29th December, 2010, 11:17 AM
If its still tripping when the power is off then its a neutral to earth fault, try the connections on the back of the socket, especially the neutral and earth connections, if the neutral becomes a " open circuit " then the RCS will trip...Apart from that borrow a PAT tester to check the machine.