PDA

View Full Version : long journey home

Lainie
7th December, 2010, 01:00 AM
my b/f and his boss left edinburgh at 11am to drive back to glasgow as they were being sent home. its now midnight and he is still 10 miles from glasgow!

barrowmanandrew
7th December, 2010, 02:16 AM
its a nightmare out there tonight.

i left motherwell at 10-30 this mornin, drove to m73 cut off and headed back home.
a round trip of roughly 8 miles....
abandonned the car 1/2 a mile away and ~~~~ed of to the pub at 8pm ish......

catastrofuk
7th December, 2010, 02:17 AM
That's insane!

having said that last week I spent 4 hours going just 20 miles :/

daithi
7th December, 2010, 09:39 AM
took me 5 hrs to drive 120 miles yesyerday evening
the roads were pure ice it was like a sheet of ice

Lainie
7th December, 2010, 11:13 AM
on my way to work yest morning i saw 2 gritters/snowploughs and NONE of them were gritting or clearing the snow! i was astonished. i made it to work every day last week and none of the roads i travelled on had been gritted so christ knows wtf glasgow city or renfrewshire council are doing. yest would not have been so bad if last weeks snow and ice had been cleared.

i didnt make my work this morning

allycoops
7th December, 2010, 11:37 AM
Time did your BF get home Lainie?

Lainie
7th December, 2010, 03:51 PM
he got back just before 1am. a 13 hour journey that normally takes an hour. at least they gave him today off.

Meat-Head
7th December, 2010, 10:47 PM
my b/f and his boss left edinburgh at 11am to drive back to glasgow as they were being sent home. its now midnight and he is still 10 miles from glasgow!

I used to have a car like that once. Ended up cutting the roof off it
as the rest of it was rotten.

chroma
7th December, 2010, 11:15 PM
on my way to work yest morning i saw 2 gritters/snowploughs and NONE of them were gritting or clearing the snow! i was astonished. i made it to work every day last week and none of the roads i travelled on had been gritted so christ knows wtf glasgow city or renfrewshire council are doing. yest would not have been so bad if last weeks snow and ice had been cleared.

i didnt make my work this morning

Grit doesn't work in this temperature. as for ploughing, that only skims the surface debris and makes a nice glassy ice surface with absoloutly no traction.
After -10c there's nowt anyone can do except fit chains and hope for the best.

jcgrumbles
8th December, 2010, 09:34 AM
It took me three hours to travel four miles yesterday in arctic conditions,next time im taking the car

gmb45
8th December, 2010, 09:45 AM
It took me three hours to travel four miles yesterday in arctic conditions,next time im taking the car
ill get your coat m8 lol

jcgrumbles
8th December, 2010, 10:28 AM
lol..lets all get together and stick up two collective fingers at mr frosty eh?

Lainie
8th December, 2010, 10:48 AM
Grit doesn't work in this temperature. as for ploughing, that only skims the surface debris and makes a nice glassy ice surface with absoloutly no traction.
After -10c there's nowt anyone can do except fit chains and hope for the best.

it wasnt -10 last week or the other day when the snow started. they knew this was coming and should have been better prepared.

its snow funny anymore

Meat-Head
8th December, 2010, 07:34 PM

I cycle to work - it's good fun in the ice-ice-baby.
Just don't go over changes of inclnation. IE don't go across hill just up or down

krazylegz
8th December, 2010, 09:30 PM
It makes you laugh though, a little bit of cold and snow and the country grinds to a halt, other countries worse off manage it fine.... Luckily I've had hardly any snow down here in Gloucester

Meat-Head
8th December, 2010, 10:26 PM
It makes you laugh though, a little bit of cold and snow and the country grinds to a halt, other countries worse off manage it fine.... Luckily I've had hardly any snow down here in Gloucester

Meat-City is worse.

OFF TOPIC:-

Right at the top end of town, near the sideward facing foo-foo valve factory - road works, VERY small custard pipe feed had burst in the road
whole city STOPPED

ON TOPIC:-

-21 in Canada, the skools are open, everywhere is open Meat-City is pants

jcgrumbles
8th December, 2010, 11:13 PM
I cycle to work - it's good fun in the ice-ice-baby.
Just don't go over changes of inclnation. IE don't go across hill just up or down
I normally pedal in as well meat head but got a puncture and i didnt realise there was a world wide shortage of puncture repair kits,probably just as well,i dont bounce as well as i used to:ridinghorse:

jcgrumbles
8th December, 2010, 11:16 PM
Your sunny south shields must be a different one to the one im in now mate! Toon forever,regardless of the pri** in charge

Meat-Head
8th December, 2010, 11:39 PM
i didnt realise there was a world wide shortage of puncture repair kits,

OFF TOPIC:

~~~~ ME thought that was just Meat-City. Download them from Home | Poundland (http://www.Poundland.com) - they DO work, two rules

1) THIN layer of solution
2) Leave 1 min to go tacky

1) Seems downloading inner tubes from wilkingsons.co.uk (http://www.wilkingsons.co.uk)
are cheaper and thicker

2) WELL WORTH downloading some "Schwabe Secentio II" - spelt that wrong puncture proff tyres - cheaper than the 'Marathon Plus' AND
you go like a rocket with them on - skinny less road resistance
also yes you still get punctures had a thorn the other week, not perfect but little help when low pressure - strong wall

Meat

johnboy1974
8th December, 2010, 11:43 PM
roads a disgrace lessons not learned from last years cold spell.

Meat-Head
8th December, 2010, 11:50 PM
roads a disgrace lessons not learned from last years cold spell.

Meat-Road - nearby street - WOW - you can't stand up on it - WELL BAD
pay all this money for council tax

jcgrumbles
9th December, 2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up meat,ive just spread half a ton of salt at work and the tw** has frozen over already i`ll be back at 6 45 tomorrow to do the same again,the things i do to put drumsticks on the table...

Meat-Head
9th December, 2010, 01:11 AM
ive just spread half a ton of salt .

Thought the daily limit for an ADULT is 6 GRAMS?

jcgrumbles
9th December, 2010, 01:18 AM
Aye but it was that low salt salt...what is that anyway for hells sake what else is in it instead to make it low im going for a quick joint on the step now youve set me off talking about grams...