PDA

View Full Version : New to Tuning

djorgensen
8th December, 2010, 04:36 PM
I've been doing IMMO, kiey cutting etc and General car eletrics for a few years and recently thought about trying out from Tuning.

I have an MPPS and I've been able to download a map from one of my cars, a VW Transporter T5 1.9 TDI

WinOLS to be blunt looks very complicated, not a problem with learning but where does one start?

I got ECM2001 running and I've loaded the dump into it.
What should I be doing or trying to do to get a modest performance increase?

Damien

scargo
8th December, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hi

I am also new to tuning, and find WINOls very complicated, is there any other user friendly applications that we can use?

djorgensen
8th December, 2010, 07:40 PM
ECM2001 seems the best route, in terms of getting the job done in an easy to understand way.

Scargo, send me a PVT MSG and I'll send you a link

Where I seem to have hit a problem is that you need a driver for each type of each which appears to split the dump into the seperate maps for things like Turbo Pressure.

Does anyone have a how to guide or similar for creating drivers in ECM2001?

ominimicu
8th December, 2010, 08:36 PM
ECm uses drivers...some of them are not very good..and does not identify all the maps.

Win Ols is a little difficult to use, but requires A LOT of time in front of the PC, tutorials the the HElp idex of the software itself.

del635
14th December, 2010, 01:49 PM
My advice is to stick with winols, ecm doesnt even give real values, its for percentage tuning rubbish.
When youve learnt to 'define' maps and tables in winols have a look at how the manufacturer gets more power, how much they inject and WHEN, what they ask from turbo etc eg look at 90hp-110hp-130-150 vw files and 90-110bhp pug/cit hdi files. Also look at what mufactures do to reduce nox emissions ;)

rsibiza
14th December, 2010, 06:03 PM
My advice is to stick with winols, ecm doesnt even give real values, its for percentage tuning rubbish.
When youve learnt to 'define' maps and tables in winols have a look at how the manufacturer gets more power, how much they inject and WHEN, what they ask from turbo etc eg look at 90hp-110hp-130-150 vw files and 90-110bhp pug/cit hdi files. Also look at what mufactures do to reduce nox emissions ;)

ECM2K1 is not the best on market,for sure...but if u recognise maps in ols,youre also able recognise them in ecm? right? You can make your own drivers...and have a good tool...

BTW,if u open ecm,click on modify and choose show real values in 16BIT files,ECM will show real values...

Great problem for ECM2K1 is searching values...not possible :(

If u know the value for boost limiter,you cant search just by giving this value,and search this way to find maplocations...

But it can give an idea of how have look a map...what map...etc

subtil
14th December, 2010, 07:37 PM
ECM2K1 is not the best on market,for sure...but if u recognise maps in ols,youre also able recognise them in ecm? right? You can make your own drivers...and have a good tool...

BTW,if u open ecm,click on modify and choose show real values in 16BIT files,ECM will show real values...

If u know the value for boost limiter,you cant search just by giving this value,and search this way to find maplocations...

I tune a 1.9Tdi PD EDC15P dump in 10minutes in Winols (for regular tuning - egr, driver's wish, torque limiters, smoke maps, maf temp related values, IQ limit via temp, boost single, injection advance maps, boost, boost via P(atm) and boost via temp. It can take me up to 30min to tune in ECM2001 mostly because ECM2001 does not have all this BASIC maps and it is not as user friendly as Winols for quick and accurate tuning.

Regards

ominimicu
14th December, 2010, 11:09 PM
actually boost via P(atm) and boost via temp are tipical ECM maps names hahaha

subtil
15th December, 2010, 03:31 PM
actually boost via P(atm) and boost via temp are tipical ECM maps names hahaha

OMG.
Boost via P(atm) means Boost pressure in KPa in z axis and rpm vs atmospheric pressure in y and x axis. I don't care if you say it this way or other way. I don't care how ecm2001 says it either. This is how I learned back in the days where kwp2000 was the only programmer available via obd you know? Show me results in chiptuning and actual knowledge otherwise bye bye

Oh and by the way ECM2001 doesn't even have boost via P(atm) nor via temp for diesel edc. Just checked;)

del635
15th December, 2010, 05:07 PM

Yes tbh If I want very quickly to look at something in 2d I would use ecm and I can make the drivers and have done but you cant apply a factor and offset to a table so for eg if we want to look at pd duration maps to compare between 2 types of injector we cant see a real value just raw data or some random-ish number that means nothing in the real world. Better to have all softs you can get but better to learn with winols imo plus its only a grand original.