View Full Version : Samsung TV diagnosis/repair

Rodent
9th December, 2010, 06:54 PM
I have:

Samsung series 5

Model code - LE40A556P1FXXU
Version - CN01
Seriel No - ALMK35MQ601432

Screen just went black and since then it wont turn on, the red led light flashes as if its going to turn on but never does. It is coming up to 3 years old.

Any TV boffins out there who can tell me if this is a simple fix or is it destined for the scrap heap?

Cheers

allycoops
9th December, 2010, 07:04 PM
Rodent,

V8Dave will answer this when he comes on line. but I'd say a capacitor on one of the boards are blown.

But wait for V8Dave's advice, he'll advise you Bud

telveskid
9th December, 2010, 08:39 PM
Leaked or Bulging Capiciators on the Power Supply board,Replace them all of the same Componet Value(Value is written on them) should be about 4 of them.

Never tell Someone who fixes Tv,s You been told its this or that
can be patronising

Hope that helps.

Rodent
9th December, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the replies and I have been checking out:

Capacitor discharge-discharging capacitors with right methods (http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/capacitor-discharge.html)

So not wanting to become a deep fried rodent I suppose it might be easier to replace the power supply board rather than remove and replace individual capacitors, more cost but maybe safer - for me.

I am in the UK so if anyone has any ball park figure on the costs of replacement PSBs and a good supplier I would be grateful

Cheers,

The Rodent

telveskid
9th December, 2010, 10:32 PM
The Power supply can be disconected and up plugged from the
tv chassis,however by changing the caps this is cheaper option than fitting a new PSU as it a trial and error scenario. if you can see leaking or bulging caps that should give you a good idea. the caps should be flat like a top hat. take a picture for your own record put cover back on then take it somewhere for tv repair quote.

Rodent
9th December, 2010, 11:45 PM
OK, thanks. I am quite good at soldering as I work on vehicle immo and ecu boxes. My only fear is frying myself so I need to be sure of a fool proof method of dischraging any residual electricity before starting to remove the capacitors.

There is a method described in the link in my previous thread but if anyone else has any other suggestions for safe discharging of the residual power then let me know.

Thanks

Mjolinor
10th December, 2010, 12:09 AM
The only cap you need to discharge is the physically big one. Anything under 1000 uF is unlikely to damage you. Discharge by placing a resistor across, say around 2k or bigger but do hold it there for more than 30 seconds, they can take a while to discharge.

Provided the thing is unplugged from the supply and with your meter on DC volts you can easily measure the voltage on them, once under 50 volts they won't hit you. (he said with confidence :) )

the man
10th December, 2010, 01:27 AM
call samsung tell them it wont come on and theres a clicking sound , they will fix it for free , trust me!
dont worrie about the age of the tv , tvs should last at least 7 years ect

Rodent
10th December, 2010, 09:31 AM
The only cap you need to discharge is the physically big one. Anything under 1000 uF is unlikely to damage you. Discharge by placing a resistor across, say around 2k or bigger but do hold it there for more than 30 seconds, they can take a while to discharge.

Provided the thing is unplugged from the supply and with your meter on DC volts you can easily measure the voltage on them, once under 50 volts they won't hit you. (he said with confidence :) )

Thanks, I will call Samsung first and if no joy and I have to go DIY on it, exactly where do I place this resistor and what does this resistor do? Sorry for the dumb questions but want to be definite that my mrs does not have to dig out the life insurance policy

Mjolinor
10th December, 2010, 06:42 PM
The resistor goes across the two places where the big capacitor is soldered. All it does is remove the charge from the capacitor by shorting out the two plates inside the capacitor, it allows charge to flow from one plate to the other plate leaving a net 0 charge on the cap. The reason for using a resistor rather than just a wire is that you will get a massive spark because a wire will not limit the current flow but a resistor will.

Rodent
10th December, 2010, 09:01 PM
Update:

Found this post on earthinfo.com

Read through these posts. Have same prob with 40***8243; LCD . Trawled net for tel no: in UK?. Here it is guys 01932 455000. Called and explained I have read through various websites and believe it to be capacitors ?. Bought in dec 2007 so out of warranty but they have arranged for engineer to contact within 48 hrs. If it is the capacitors then NO-CHARGE?. Good luck to all. And a very merry Christmas

Called the number told them about the clicking and no haggling or anytthing they jsut took my details, gave me a job number and a free repair is planned next week.

Thanks everyone - RESULT..!!!!!!!

Mjolinor
10th December, 2010, 09:19 PM
Update:

Found this post on earthinfo.com

Read through these posts. Have same prob with 40***8243; LCD . Trawled net for tel no: in UK?. Here it is guys 01932 455000. Called and explained I have read through various websites and believe it to be capacitors ?. Bought in dec 2007 so out of warranty but they have arranged for engineer to contact within 48 hrs. If it is the capacitors then NO-CHARGE?. Good luck to all. And a very merry Christmas

Called the number told them about the clicking and no haggling or anytthing they jsut took my details, gave me a job number and a free repair is planned next week.

Thanks everyone - RESULT..!!!!!!!

You won one, better than blowing your fingers off :)

Rodent
12th December, 2010, 05:17 PM
The resistor goes across the two places where the big capacitor is soldered. All it does is remove the charge from the capacitor by shorting out the two plates inside the capacitor, it allows charge to flow from one plate to the other plate leaving a net 0 charge on the cap. The reason for using a resistor rather than just a wire is that you will get a massive spark because a wire will not limit the current flow but a resistor will.

One more silly question for future reference if I do ever have to go DIY on a TV PSB.

Do I solder the resistor across the capacitor legs or just hold it there with tweezers and do I need to take any precautions when working near that large capacitor?

Thanks

the man
12th December, 2010, 07:44 PM
well done , when you get tv back call samsung tell them its buzzs on black screen and now you fill unsafe whith there fualty product , thats how i get a new 650 out of them !

p.s best not to do diy on this tv as best and safest to phone up and get a new one.

this is the one i got as a free exchange If you have high standards, maybe it's time you experienced High Definition TV - 650 40? LCD TV - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/lcd-tv/LE40C650L1KXXU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail)

Mjolinor
13th December, 2010, 08:59 AM
One more silly question for future reference if I do ever have to go DIY on a TV PSB.

Do I solder the resistor across the capacitor legs or just hold it there with tweezers and do I need to take any precautions when working near that large capacitor?

Thanks

Just hold it on. Best not to solder it as your iron will probably be earthed and ex soldering iron may result.

You can easily measure the voltage on it but once discharged it will not normally recharge again until plugged in.

johno3245
31st December, 2010, 03:23 PM
You can get all the caps from ebay, someone on there sells kits for all samsung models. I just fixed my LE40R73 same fault as you described clicking etc, cost under a tenner and tv as good as new

cactikid
31st December, 2010, 03:31 PM
there are a few you tube videos with samsung repairs on you tube.

mattybhoy
18th January, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hey Rodent. How did it go with the TV, did they repair it FOC?

I have a simular problem with my samsung 40" TV (LE40A656A1FXXU) it comes on ok, but the picture is really dark apart from a few inch on the right hand side. If you were sucessful I was going to try the same.

Cheers