PDA

View Full Version : got a wee warning light after battery change ?

Saltire
11th December, 2010, 04:00 AM
i had to get a new battery in my 55 plate (year 05) vectra sri, was driving to garage to get the battery everything fine, no warning light.

got the battery fitted, guy put a wee thing in the lighter socket seemingly so as the radio wouldnt lose code etc (thats what he said).

got battery fitted, everythings fine, but now i have that ~~~~in wee icon displaying on the main dash where the speedo is and all that, its a wee icon of a car with a spanner going through it !!

doesnt go away, does anyone know how to get that to go away ? or should i take it back to halfords and get them sort it out or could they ? i have a funny feeling your gonna say it needs to go to a vauxhall dealer to go on the computer to turn it off, correct ?

cheers guys.

racin-snake
11th December, 2010, 04:24 AM
not at all someone here on dk might be able to reset the light

Saltire
14th December, 2010, 05:21 PM
~~~~in vauxhall are wanting 30-60quid(maybe more) just to look at the car and check whats wrong............!!!!

ive had a few mates of mates who said that they know for a fact its just a case of hooking it up to a laptop and fixing it that way, seemingly in a case like mines that is all thats needing done as all i had done was put a new battery in and it was fine before that, and that cost me ~~~~ ?100.....!

:guns::guns::guns:

someone help :nurse:

p.s
halfords couldnt sort it.

Donut Boi
14th December, 2010, 06:41 PM
The light means there are fault codes stored in the ECU

They could be because the battery was changed and something has registered low voltage ABS etc

The thing he plugged into the lighter was a code saver for just as he said it keeps a little bit of battery life in the car so the radio code does not need to be entered etc

it could just be a simple thing that the code(s) need clearing and will never come back or it could be that you have a problem with the car nothing to do with the battery being changed

Donut

Saltire
15th December, 2010, 06:02 PM
thanks mate, but i still have the problem, thats the problem. lol.

racin-snake
16th December, 2010, 01:32 AM
theres bound to be someone near ya with op-com or somic ?

anyone in glasgow ?

reddevil157
16th December, 2010, 01:41 AM
Might be worth a try to go back to where you got the battery fitted, up in arms, and say wtf, it was fine till ye got at it.

Saltire
16th December, 2010, 01:48 AM
awready tried to go back but they says it wasnt thier fault and wouldnt budge, so i still need it sorted, awwww, my poor car :(:eek:

racin-snake
16th December, 2010, 07:26 PM
what a bawbag !
if you can get to me i can scan and clear the faultcodes ?
and if halfrauds has a website with a comments section then theres where to drop the bawbags name in ...hth

Meat-Head
16th December, 2010, 08:44 PM
funny things is 55 plate will be coded to the car lol.

Would guess that fag lighter is ignition switched, DFM at Halfords has powered the ignition with their tool, and upset something.

Think it's worth disconnecting the battery and see what happens - but yes ultmatly pretty sure will end up having to be plugged in - suggest you download off ebay Opcom

HTH

Meat.

Saltire
17th December, 2010, 12:46 AM
theres a place up the road says 30quid and its off, so i thought thats a good deal, then take the invoice back to halfords and have them pay it.

jctech
18th December, 2010, 12:14 PM
theres a place up the road says 30quid and its off, so i thought thats a good deal, then take the invoice back to halfords and have them pay it.

Bring it down here and I will take the bulb out for a tenner...... LOL

Saltire
19th December, 2010, 01:08 AM
cant believe theres no one in or around glasgow that has the gear to sort this ?? surley there must be someone ?

cactikid
19th December, 2010, 11:01 AM
dont know whether wort a try or not disconnect battery,hopefully you remember audio code lol, join pos and negative cables together for a sec or 2 then reconnect pos then neg,were keys in ignition when battery was changed because usually if fag lighter only works with ignition on ,i cant see a code saver harming circuit if its disconnected.
any local diy lad might have a scanner to scan for faults.
or ....
obd2 scanner items - Get great deals on Vehicle Parts Accessories, Consumer Electronics items on eBay UK! (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=obd2+scanner&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

smirnoff_rules
19th December, 2010, 11:27 AM
U didn't jump start this car to get it to the garage did u ? It easy to get the jump cable mixed up on a vauxhall , u might l shorted it for a second ? Do u remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltire
19th December, 2010, 05:51 PM
U didn't jump start this car to get it to the garage did u ? It easy to get the jump cable mixed up on a vauxhall , u might l shorted it for a second ? Do u remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didnt jump start it no mate.

Saltire
19th December, 2010, 05:55 PM
dont know whether wort a try or not disconnect battery,hopefully you remember audio code lol, join pos and negative cables together for a sec or 2 then reconnect pos then neg,were keys in ignition when battery was changed because usually if fag lighter only works with ignition on ,i cant see a code saver harming circuit if its disconnected.
any local diy lad might have a scanner to scan for faults.
or ....
obd2 scanner items - Get great deals on Vehicle Parts Accessories, Consumer Electronics items on eBay UK! (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=obd2+scanner&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

wouldnt i just be as well disconnecting positive then and that breaks the circuit and then hook it back up ? actually i'm not sure about the radio code, i have the original books etc as ive had the car since litrally new 6000k miles, so i should have the code in a book i think

bazaa
19th December, 2010, 06:12 PM
you should never just diconnect the positive +ve
terminal because if your spanner touches the body work or makes earth you will cause a spark with could cause your battery to explode.Alway disconnect negative terminal first and refit it last.
as a few people have said disconnect your battery for a while to see if your code clears, if not return to halfrauds and tell them vauxhall dealer says a cigar lighter radio code retaining device should not be used with your car as a fault code will be flagged and they are responsable for clearing it.

Saltire
11th February, 2011, 01:09 AM
turns out its the crankshaft sensor thats faulty, got another test done and thats what it said, so its about 40-50quid just to renew a little poxy sensor, i have to get it done though so that the warning light goes out incase the car was to develop another more serious fault and i wouldnt know cause the light is stuck on , booohooo :(

Saltire
9th March, 2011, 12:34 AM
well so far not so good.

got the crankshaft sensor replaced and the warning light stayed on, vauhxall says they recommed that the camshaft sensor is replaced too as thats the way they do it, so got the camshaft sensor replaced too and the light is still on, it stayed off after the fitting until the car egnition was turned off but then started up again and light was back on, so i'm back to square one.

now on the computer its says camshaft sensor pending !

does anyone know what that means or how to fix it as the money i'm spending is going up and up ?

cheers.:banghead:

jctech
9th March, 2011, 12:58 AM
well so far not so good.

got the crankshaft sensor replaced and the warning light stayed on, vauhxall says they recommed that the camshaft sensor is replaced too as thats the way they do it, so got the camshaft sensor replaced too and the light is still on, it stayed off after the fitting until the car egnition was turned off but then started up again and light was back on, so i'm back to square one.

now on the computer its says camshaft sensor pending !

does anyone know what that means or how to fix it as the money i'm spending is going up and up ?

cheers.:banghead:

Check the cam belt tensioner, there is a problem on Nissan's with a timing chain, when the chain stretches, the cam sensor and the crank sensor are no longer in sync (they do not signal at the same time), you can tell how stretched it is by how far the tensioner has moved out
If you cam belt is stretched, you may have something similar, or it could be a sensor, like they say.
If it was me I would check the sensor before replacing it, or try one from a breaker.

Saltire
9th March, 2011, 01:06 AM
Check the cam belt tensioner, there is a problem on Nissan's with a timing chain, when the chain stretches, the cam sensor and the crank sensor are no longer in sync (they do not signal at the same time), you can tell how stretched it is by how far the tensioner has moved out
If you cam belt is stretched, you may have something similar, or it could be a sensor, like they say.
If it was me I would check the sensor before replacing it, or try one from a breaker.

car has only done 40k, ive had it since new, fully vauhxall serviced etc, i got a new timing belt fitted by vauhxhall about 2 years ago, i know that was silly but i had money to burn and says stick a new one on for sake of it and they did.
I asked vauhxhall mechanic about possibilty of belt jumping a teeth and he said no chance, he said your car would be lucky to drive if that happend and the car runs fine, i also had someone check the tension on the belt and says was fine.

so as i said, back to square one :(

dont know what that is on the computer now saying camshaft sensor pending, hmmm, strange, its as if it wants a code or summit.

when i say the car runs fine, since i first got the car (we bought two of them actually) the car seems to idle too low revs compared to the other exact same car, like you have to rev it higher to pull away or it would stall, its as if it needs a tune up or summit, can these cars be pro tuned by vauxhall, its something ive never done or tried ? once its driving it drives fine, thats what i meant.

Meat-Head
9th March, 2011, 10:30 PM
car egnition was turned off:banghead:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: IGNITION

Can you:-

1) save all old parts untill fixed

2) what is the P code - if it is p0431 then the cam sensor is 'too far away'

3) Could even be engine ecu, kid.

Saltire
10th March, 2011, 12:26 AM
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: IGNITION

Can you:-

1) save all old parts untill fixed

2) what is the P code - if it is p0431 then the cam sensor is 'too far away'

3) Could even be engine ecu, kid.

i dont even know what you mean by p code mate, all i know is its now coming up on my mates mates computer saying camshaft sensor pending, i dont know what parts hes kept or if he chucked them, but i have receipts anyway.

whats the ecu ?

thanks.

10th March, 2011, 10:31 PM
im in glasgow dont know if thats of any help to you, i have obd 2 scanner as well as the vauxcheck software and elm327b interface which ive used on my previous vectra b sucesfully,

timing belt could have been stretched, i just changed an alternator and pas drive belt (Which were stretched to ****) and the new one (tight as hell, had to use a lever to get it on with the tensioner fully held back)

if we can get the pcode that would probably be better,

sure the sensor matched the old sensor (shape, size, dimensions, etc) as it could be the sensor is too far away from crank/cam which prevents the square wave / induction signal being sent to the ecu letting it know position, speed etc.

Saltire
10th March, 2011, 10:51 PM
anyone else got any ideas on this before i go and spend even more money, the camshaft sensor on its own was 65quid. ?

cheers.

i think i need someone whos good with vauxhalls maybe.

Saltire
10th March, 2011, 11:07 PM
im in glasgow dont know if thats of any help to you, i have obd 2 scanner as well as the vauxcheck software and elm327b interface which ive used on my previous vectra b sucesfully,

timing belt could have been stretched, i just changed an alternator and pas drive belt (Which were stretched to ****) and the new one (tight as hell, had to use a lever to get it on with the tensioner fully held back)

if we can get the pcode that would probably be better,

sure the sensor matched the old sensor (shape, size, dimensions, etc) as it could be the sensor is too far away from crank/cam which prevents the square wave / induction signal being sent to the ecu letting it know position, speed etc.

sorry mate, didnt see your post until after i typed my last post.

i dont know mate, i'm not a mechanic but i got mechanics to fit the parts and also had it in the back door of vauxhall and onto thier computer too free of charge, as far as i'm aware the guy in vauxhall says its nuffin to do with the timing belt and another mechanic said that too, they said the car is kinda driving too well for it to be anything like that and the timing belt that i got fitted was only two years ago and was fitted with vauxhall, so i'm guessing its done correctly, but ya never know.

all i know now is the mechanic i know has camshaft sensor pending showing up on his computer now, and thats it, hes not an auto electrician, just a mechanic, but the two parts have been fitted as vauxhall recommended, crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor and by fully pro mechanics.

what is this P code that you'z are on about ? i dont know what you mean ?

the car is due a service and i always get the services done in vauxhall dealer and always have done, would they maybe rectify this during the service you think ? or is it a code i can enter on the dash or something, i dont have a clue.

car runs fine, if anything its revs have always felt too low on idle, you know that way that you need to give it some higher revs when pulling away or you will stall it, i can tell the difference when i drive the other car which is exact same car, same model, same mileage and it seems to idle smoother and have that bit more punch.

can these cars be tuned like you used to do with older cars, take them for a krypton tune, or is that only possible in a vauxhall deals on thier computer, i was thinking about asking them to tune it while it gets a service but i'm actually scared of the prices they may quote for a tuneup and to get this warning light out even though these new parts have been fitted. ?

the car is a nov 2005 model, 1.8sri (the new shape model, the one that looks nicer than the old one) you'll probably know what i mean.

Saltire
10th March, 2011, 11:41 PM
im in glasgow dont know if thats of any help to you.

pm sent mate, please read post above too, i'm in glasgow too.

Saltire
11th March, 2011, 10:28 PM
does anyone know the camshaft pending code for my car please, this is driving me nutz ? :shot:

Xram
11th March, 2011, 10:52 PM
Could be one of a few depending on the exact fault take your pick....
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)
P0346 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)
P0347 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)
P0348 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input (Bank 2)
P0349 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)

Saltire
12th March, 2011, 12:48 AM
Could be one of a few depending on the exact fault take your pick....
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)
P0346 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)
P0347 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)
P0348 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input (Bank 2)
P0349 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)

thanks mate, how do i enter these codes mate, do i have to get my mate with the computer to do this or is this done from the buttons on the dash ? if its the dash, there is no "0" (zero) on the dash buttons, so what happens there ?
Also what happens if you enter the wrong code cause all hes mentioned is that its coming up on his laptop thingy saying "camshaft sensor pending", he didnt mention anything else unless there is other stuff he can see but just mentioned camshaft sensor pending, i'm not sure, hes hard to get hold of a the weekend.

Saltire
12th March, 2011, 08:44 AM
Xram, you there mate ?

Xram
12th March, 2011, 09:22 AM
You don't enter the codes mate they are the ones that your car generates with the fault all you can do is clear them with a computer after the fault has been fixed.

Saltire
12th March, 2011, 08:03 PM
You don't enter the codes mate they are the ones that your car generates with the fault all you can do is clear them with a computer after the fault has been fixed.

he never mentioned a code mate, he just said it said "camshaft sensor pending", but maybe there was a code and he didnt mention it, i doubt it though because the talk was like he was saying "i wonder what that code is" so his computer couldnt have been showing a code, i think its just a very basic laptop and basic software hes got as hes just a mechanic and not an auto electrician.

But i will call him and ask him again about the code and come back to you.

do you mind if i ask you what type of equipment it is you have mate without you feeling offended, i dont mean to offend, just wondering, and are vauxhalls cars you work on a lot ? see this mechanic i know is a friend and his job has him work on lots of different models, not just vauxhall, its just by luck he has done work on vectras and owns the older model himself.

p.s
he is able to clear the fault from his computer and it turns the light out while the engine is running, but you go a run and come back and turn the engine off then back on and the stupid light is back on again, i dont know if that bit of info helps you more ?

thanks mate.:driver:

p.p.s
originally at first i took it to an auto electrician my mate knew, he was supposed to have "all the gear etc", so he took it, charged me 30quid and said (i have the receipt right here, i will type what it says) >>>

FAULT CODES:

FUEL/IGNITION (Z18XE-SIMTEC MS 71.5- MT/AT)
DTC DESCRIPTION
P0340 -Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
-Intermittent

so on the vauxhall receipt for that part its discription says N/STK SENSOR and it was 30.02quid at trade price, is that the correct part for that fault ????????

So seemingly they fitted that and thats when it then started saying camshaft sensor fault rather than crankshaft and when we asked vauxhall they said you should actually fit both of those sensors as thats what they do, so thats when my mate who is the mechanic came in and fitted the 60quid camshaft sensor thankfully for free as he is a mate as i also said in my pm to you.

so maybe this info gives you more to go on now mate, eh ?

Meat-Head
13th March, 2011, 12:24 AM
FAULT CODES:

P0340 -Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
-Intermittent

so on the vauxhall receipt for that part its discription says N/STK SENSOR and it was 30.02quid at trade price, is that the correct part for that fault ????????

Right, that would suggest there is/was a 'broken wire' off the lumpstick sensor

"N/STK SENSOR " none stock - they had to order it - bit weird.

is there a part number on that vauxhall recepit?

Saltire
13th March, 2011, 12:27 AM
Right, that would suggest there is/was a 'broken wire' off the lumpstick sensor

"N/STK SENSOR " none stock - they had to order it - bit weird.

is there a part number on that vauxhall recepit?

yes, its V0009115115

Saltire
13th March, 2011, 12:39 AM
Found it here, so looks like it was the correct part >>>

Crankshaft Sensor - MVAP9115115 (http://www.vauxallparts.co.uk/?product_id=2024871&option=Prod_detail&image_id=760925)

Xram
14th March, 2011, 02:06 AM
do you mind if i ask you what type of equipment it is you have mate without you feeling offended
I use quite a lot of different tools though mostly launch diagun most of my work (homers) is volkswagen but my job is greenflag so everything from a motorbike to a transit. As meat-head says N/STK sensor is not in stock so sensor means any sensor on the car N/STK means special order so that you cant take it back unless it don't fit or wrong part (stops you buying a bit trying it then taking it back because its not the fault VOR parts as they say)

Meat-Head
14th March, 2011, 07:40 PM
but my job is greenflag

OFF TOPIC:-

There is a rumor going around which says "National Breakdown" became
"Greenflag" as VW, BMW sorry Rolls Royce didn't want anything to do with
the word "Breakdown" Can you confirm this rumor?

Oh are you as thick and stupid as the Meat-City lot lol?