PDA

View Full Version : USB to null modem cable

scurders
18th April, 2008, 12:42 AM
Anybody know of any problems connecting to dreamup using the above cable? I get as far as being prompted to turn the dreambox on then...nothing, screen stays like that until i decide to disconnect or exit. Reading some vague stuff on other forums about usb ports not being the best for this but im using a laptop so ive no other choice. would really appreciate suggestions/opinions on this one as im gettin a bit annoyed to say the least with the lack of progress (its been nearly two weeks with basic channels):(.

Cheers

Scurders

Jaffa
18th April, 2008, 01:06 AM
They are hit and miss from what I have read, best to get a pcmia rs232 card on fleabay and that will do the job for you.

I got that tip from Kaos so its sound.

wayne.bradshaw3
18th April, 2008, 11:45 AM
boy am i having problems i cant remember what i did to flash the box ive connected my null modem cable to pc and dreambox but i cant ive no idea:withstupid:

smirnoff_rules
18th April, 2008, 11:47 AM
u need a programe called dreamup in downloads m8

Devilfish
18th April, 2008, 11:59 AM
I've just bought one of these to try and suss it out for folks.

Remember you will still need a null modem cable to connect to the end of the usb - serial cable.

teleboss
18th April, 2008, 12:06 PM
Anybody know of any problems connecting to dreamup using the above cable? I get as far as being prompted to turn the dreambox on then...nothing, screen stays like that until i decide to disconnect or exit. Reading some vague stuff on other forums about usb ports not being the best for this but im using a laptop so ive no other choice. would really appreciate suggestions/opinions on this one as im gettin a bit annoyed to say the least with the lack of progress (its been nearly two weeks with basic channels):(.

Cheers

Scurders

I would suggest that you remove any other usb devices off the USB ports, Of course on newer machines rthe mouse and Kb are USB, I also find use the back ports on the machine, as on some machines the front ports are shared through a hub device.

I bought a maplin Usb to RS232 converter and it works fine on all machines that I have, works with dreamup, are you sure its not your cable rather than the converter ?

A proper Null modem cable is the following

From back of connector solder side

1 2 3 4 5
o o o o o
o o o o
6 7 8 9

DB 9 A to DB 9 B

2 3
3 2
4 6
5 5
6 4
7 8
8 7

Dont worry about grounding the shells or PIN 9, The Above cable works with dreambox, and while there are other varitations of a Null modem cable as in pins looped and so on this config works for me without any problems.

Hope this helps

teleboss
18th April, 2008, 12:11 PM
They are hit and miss from what I have read, best to get a pcmia rs232 card on fleabay and that will do the job for you.

I got that tip from Kaos so its sound.

if you can go USB its a better option, as most New Laptops are the new card bus standard, and its hard getting a laptop that supports PCMCIA.

The cheap and nasty maplin converter works really well, USB to SerialD9 Male ZP43W 7096 19.99 stearling.

I know there are cheaper converters, but at least if it does not work they will take it back.

I have used the above on Sony Viao, IBM thinkpads and dell towers and laptops works evertime. This has been used on XP home and XP pro.

scurders
18th April, 2008, 06:12 PM
Guys, its the cable!! just had a look at the description of what i bought and its not a null modem cable, Its a usb to RS232 serial cable!! very similar, my mistake!!

Really appreciate the help though, im determined to crack this even if it does cost me my sanity!! thwarted at every turn so far...cant flash using FXP because i cant get IP of box because i cant access dreambox memory, then when i try and flash using dreamup i go and buy the wrong cable!! you gotta laugh! anyways its the weekend and im off to drink until my name turns to Oliver Reid!

have a good one

Scurders

Devilfish
18th April, 2008, 07:59 PM
All the usb to serial cables on ebay that I've seen has a 9 pin male connector on the end. You will still need to have a 9pin female to 9pin female cable to connect to that and then to your dreambox. I think lol.

I'll be able to confirm when I get mine in.

thommo
18th April, 2008, 08:23 PM
if its one of the cheap ebay jobs it wont work with a null modem cable, i tried every config in the book and some not in it lol, would it work? would it ~~~~.

i ended up taking the box upstairs as my tower has a port to plug the null straight in so didnt need the usb adaptor.

but on my travels ive come across this and everyone that has tried it says it works so it is correct info and will work.

"quote"

I had the same problem i could not get a connection until i took out my null mdem cable and used a straight rs 232 and it works fine, it seems that my USB cable is already wired as a null modem cable. you might like to try the same, I hope this is of some use.

"unquote"

as said confirmed working by everyone who tried it, and i can confirm if its one of the cheap ebay jobs like mine it prob wont work with a null.

smirnoff_rules
18th April, 2008, 08:38 PM
this is how l did it http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=8511&postcount=3

tinbox11
18th April, 2008, 10:16 PM
Looking through Maplin there are some converter to change the printer port (sometime referred to as parallel port) to serial port which works better than usb port.

Dowie
18th April, 2008, 10:31 PM
I bought one from maplins you need to go into device manager Ports and com ports it will then say comxx (xx being the com port of your usb serial cable) double click that and click advanced there is then a drop down box so you can change your com port number to the lowest number then in dreamup change that number to the same and voila ive done this tonight so i 99% that this works
Dowie

thommo
18th April, 2008, 10:34 PM
I bought one from maplins you need to go into device manager Ports and com ports it will then say comxx (xx being the com port of your usb serial cable) double click that and click advanced there is then a drop down box so you can change your com port number to the lowest number then in dreamup change that number to the same and voila ive done this tonight so i 99% that this works
Dowie

as post above says you do need to set it heres a quick thing i found which might help.

The default COM port setting for the USB to Serial connectors seems to be COM 5 but these programs tend to support only COM 1-4. You will need to change the COM port that your USB to Serial is using.

Do this:
Control panel->system->device manager-> hardware settings->Ports->"device" (the name of your USB to Serial should be here)->port settings->advanced->use COM x

Dowie
18th April, 2008, 10:36 PM
Yup thommo just one thing mine was com12 for some wild reason!!!!

Dowie

scurders
19th April, 2008, 04:12 PM
Ok guys heres the latest installment of the saga that is my dreambox!! went out and bought a null modem cable from maplin today , changed my port to COM port one "thanks Thommo" and the only difference this has made is...in the log box just after i connect the power the time appears along with the dreambox type ie. DM500..also when i tried to close down dreamup i got the error "purgecomm fuction failed (win error code:5)...something different yes but still not a sniff of a flash..as always help is appreciated.

scurders

teleboss
20th April, 2008, 12:09 PM
Ok guys heres the latest installment of the saga that is my dreambox!! went out and bought a null modem cable from maplin today , changed my port to COM port one "thanks Thommo" and the only difference this has made is...in the log box just after i connect the power the time appears along with the dreambox type ie. DM500..also when i tried to close down dreamup i got the error "purgecomm fuction failed (win error code:5)...something different yes but still not a sniff of a flash..as always help is appreciated.

scurders

If the blue bar has come up and it tells you the dreambox type you are winning, Now select a flash image and flash the box, or backup the flash.

Or is there something else u want to do

krazrofl
30th May, 2010, 05:45 AM
yes u have to do it right away non stop quicking