PDA

View Full Version : iphone for newbie thread

DavC
5th December, 2008, 10:00 AM
Done a search and found a surprising lack of iphone info on this great forum.

I'm probably gonna get an iphone 3g for xmas but before i do i'd like to find out a bit first. please bear in mind I've never really used one before, and i've never had an ipod. so as you can see I'm not that clued up on em!

i will be using it on o2 so unlocking it isn't that improtant for me, but i'd like to be able to load my own games/apps/mp3s on without having to buy them through itunes. (tbh I'd like to avoid installing itunes all together if possible!)

first of all is this possible? if so whats involved?

also any links to some good info would be nice too :)

smokey_jnr
12th December, 2008, 01:53 PM
if you can wait get till feb, you can get Batmans phone..

chk out these links..

Nokia Tube 5800 touchscreen mobile phone preview (exclusive) | T3 magazine (http://www.t3.com/news/nokia-tube-5800-touchscreen-mobile-phone-preview-exclusive?=36852)

Nokia UK - Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Products (http://www.nokia.co.uk/5800xpressmusic)

ibnbatuta
12th December, 2008, 03:59 PM
You can get heaps of third party apps for free using installer and cydia... google for more info, also there are many helpful guides on youtube

DavC
12th December, 2008, 10:04 PM
if you can wait get till feb, you can get Batmans phone..

chk out these links..

Nokia Tube 5800 touchscreen mobile phone preview (exclusive) | T3 magazine (http://www.t3.com/news/nokia-tube-5800-touchscreen-mobile-phone-preview-exclusive?=36852)

Nokia UK - Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Products (http://www.nokia.co.uk/5800xpressmusic)

that actually looks pretty cool, and judging by the reviews the price should be reasonable too. not sure i want to wait too long though. and also would only be interested if it was available on o2

You can get heaps of third party apps for free using installer and cydia... google for more info, also there are many helpful guides on youtube

thanks mate. i just didnt really know where to start. never thought of looking on youtube for stuff like that, off there now :)

Dazzonamission
14th December, 2008, 10:28 PM

I'm probably gonna get an iphone 3g for xmas but before i do i'd like to find out a bit first. please bear in mind I've never really used one before, and i've never had an ipod. so as you can see I'm not that clued up on em!

i will be using it on o2 so unlocking it isn't that improtant for me, but i'd like to be able to load my own games/apps/mp3s on without having to buy them through itunes. (tbh I'd like to avoid installing itunes all together if possible!)

The iphone 3G is a excellent choice of handset, it's one of the easiest phones to use and web browsing is a stroll in the park.
With the iphone now open to 3rd party developers there are lots of apps available some of which are Apple approved via the itunes website.
If you are like me and will be using the iphone on a ligitimate o2 contract then i really wouldn't bother jailbreaking the handset.
All the common applications are available out the box,although you will need itunes to activate your iphone,itunes is quiet user friendly and you need itunes to load applications,music,videos etc onto the iphone.
You can easily install your own ringtones via iphone ring tone maker, Efiko Software: iPhoneRingToneMaker (http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm)

DavC
14th December, 2008, 11:00 PM
thanks mate. i've just ordered one anyway, so should be with me by wednesdayish :)

brianofborg
28th December, 2008, 12:44 PM
You need to use a mac to deploy apps outside of itunes. You will also need to download the XCODE development kit from Apple (its free). once installed you can deploy apps using the application deployment tool in the iphone sdk.

caveman_nige
20th January, 2009, 02:49 PM
Have you hacked it yet? Was expecting updates on how you were getting on with it and what you were doing to it... In case you have not started have a read here but make sure your adaware is working first Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn (Windows) - iPhone Hacks (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/01/jailbreak3g-win.html#more)

DavC
21st January, 2009, 10:18 AM
well after o2 sending me a knackered one, and then taking two weeks to get a replacement one sent out, it's all sorted.

i updated to the latest firmware (2.2) in itunes as soon as i got it. also jailbroke it using quickpwn that day too. was a really really easy process.

for anyone that doesn't know, when you jailbreak it, part of the process installs two extra apps (cydia and installer). from there you can install a few games (several half decent emulators) and also plenty of tweaks, fixes, mods, customisation stuff.

and despite what everyone seems to tell you you can reflash your iPhone from itunes to it's original pre jailbroken state :)

i installed a program called instalius (sp?) and you can download cracked games directly to your phone from there ;)

i must admit I've got a proper love hate relationship with itunes. it is utter crap in the way it works with it's fiddly around-the-houses way of doing simple things. but then there's no really alternative with the iPhone as apple have locked it down too well :(

the iPhone it's self is a fantastic device, once you get past the fact it's extremely poor in that bluetooth cant do file transfer (hands free only, but is currently being worked on by a bunch of hackers) and the camera is rather sh*te (2mp, no flash) and it doesn't do MMS messages (unless you buy a 3rd party program called swirlyMMS). then it is really impressive. the touchscreen is by far better than any other i have seen. and couple that with the accelerometer it opens up a whole new world of portable games.

just a shame apple are are so stubborn and try to lock down too much and think they know what the customer wants without listening to them.

but saying all that i dont regret buying it, at all :)

666lucifer666
30th January, 2009, 07:30 PM
Could someone please point me in the right direction , my son is asking me to put films on his itouch but i dont know which software to use to convert films to itouch , any help much appreciated.(free software please):)

Lanxman
30th January, 2009, 07:31 PM
Could someone please point me in the right direction , my son is asking me to put films on his itouch but i dont know which software to use to convert films to itouch , any help much appreciated.(free software please):)

I use total video converter mate (not free) but can be found on the torrentz ;)

666lucifer666
30th January, 2009, 07:33 PM
Cheerz lanxman
will check for torrent now
many thanks

waspish
30th January, 2009, 07:53 PM
type this "vio thepiratebay org" in google and open first website at top of page and download vio it converts to ipod and iphone formats. when converted just drag over to itune movie collum.

daistroyer
30th January, 2009, 08:00 PM

thanks alot

G_Unit
31st January, 2009, 12:42 PM
If jailbroken can u still do u still use itunes for the music and will i still have the apps i purchased from itunes store?
Thanks

DavC
2nd February, 2009, 11:12 AM
If jailbroken can u still do u still use itunes for the music and will i still have the apps i purchased from itunes store?
Thanks

certanly can. all will work as normal except youll have two extra icons on your phone.

don't upgrade to the very latest firmware just yet though (2.2.1 is out, but stick to 2.2 for now)

G_Unit
14th February, 2009, 10:41 PM
Ok thanks fella