PDA

View Full Version : electrician needed

footycard steve
25th December, 2010, 07:41 AM
hi
i had a post regarding a burst pipe on thursday i have just added post #60 to it but i need to see if we have any electricians on this site from tyne and wear, i'm in ryton and i think we need help urgently? our utility/converted coal house has lost electricity either from burst pipe getting into washing machine power socket or water drops from the ceiling getting into the light switch,it tripped the main master switch last night but we have electric back on in most of the house with 2 trip switches down if they are put back up they trip it all. do we have anyone on here that can help or know anyone reliable that might be able to come out a.s.a.p if needed?

gregk
25th December, 2010, 11:00 AM
If you can't get any one out today leave those switches in off position and you should be OK.
What I would do to minimaise amount of water dripping from the roof is to sweep off as much snow from that roof as posible so that is less of it to melt and leak in to the room. Despite of this try to have a Merry Xmass.

footycard steve
25th December, 2010, 11:05 AM
we have just this minute managed to organise for an emergancy electrician to come out today so hopefully that part will get sorted now we just need a plumber but they must have much more work on, the worst part about not having the water is flushing the toilet!

gregk
25th December, 2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. Just on a off chance ask sparky if he knows anyone that can block off the pipe at least then you can get water back on to rest of the house. it is a 5 min job if you got tools and max 30min to repair a leak if access to pipe is ok.

cactikid
25th December, 2010, 11:20 AM
buckets of water from elsewhere if possible,even melted snow will do in emergency

footycard steve
25th December, 2010, 01:01 PM
electrician got here really quickly and he blocked off the pipe and found and deactivated the faulty socket by the washing machine so we have water back on,we still have the frozen drain pipe and standing water in the bath and the bathroom sink but he said to wait for the pipe to thaw and also try putting some red hot water in the bath,so things are much better apart from that and now not having the use of the washing machine but thats not urgent so should be able to get a plumber in through the week. he also advised us to get a heater of some sort to heat it up.in the other thread somebody mentioned they were using a low watt heater and have also had a fan heater mentioned any suggestions on which to get?

daithi
25th December, 2010, 02:15 PM
electrician got here really quickly and he blocked off the pipe and found and deactivated the faulty socket by the washing machine so we have water back on,we still have the frozen drain pipe and standing water in the bath and the bathroom sink but he said to wait for the pipe to thaw and also try putting some red hot water in the bath,so things are much better apart from that and now not having the use of the washing machine but thats not urgent so should be able to get a plumber in through the week. he also advised us to get a heater of some sort to heat it up.in the other thread somebody mentioned they were using a low watt heater and have also had a fan heater mentioned any suggestions on which to get?

good stuff id say he charged a mint coming out christmas day
but ya had no choice

i have guests stayin for christmas and one of them turned off the tap that was running in the kitchen
turns out ive no water now lol
could be worse i suppose

cactikid
25th December, 2010, 02:31 PM
you were told to stop leaving taps running lol,that is why there was no water supply to some places,just shows you now why lagging pipes so important ,roll on next year same problems only worse,even my bathwater frozen,and the drain to boiler,so both need new pipes and lagging.

daithi
25th December, 2010, 08:32 PM
you were told to stop leaving taps running lol,that is why there was no water supply to some places,just shows you now why lagging pipes so important ,roll on next year same problems only worse,even my bathwater frozen,and the drain to boiler,so both need new pipes and lagging.

its my own water supply the council wont defrost so ive no other choice
looks what happened as a result of it not running
cant even have a dump theres no water to flush it lol

chucklor
26th December, 2010, 06:08 PM

Get the spark to change the socket for an waterproof one that is RCD protected, in this way no water can penetrate through, and even if a fault occured it would trip that individual socket and not the main one on your consumer unit, as for heaters you can buy low energy panel ones that they fit into static vans they are not expensive and are very discrete or anther option is a free standing oil filled one which when on low don't draw much power but you do then have the option to crank it up if you need more heat.....chuck