PDA

View Full Version : PC shuts down

smoggie61
5th December, 2008, 01:43 PM
Can anybody help? My pc randomly turns itself off. Sometimes I get a blue screen saying an error has occured and other times it just goes off. Is this likely to be a Windows problem, or a hardware problem? I'm running XP PRO with an Amd Athon 4400 processor and 2gig of ram.

DavC
5th December, 2008, 01:46 PM
write down the error code and google it. it should give you some idea as to what it is.

personally i've ususally found BSOD's to be driver related.

how long has it been doing it? any idea what caused it? was it after you changed some hardware or something?

mickydibble
5th December, 2008, 01:47 PM
Can anybody help? My pc randomly turns itself off. Sometimes I get a blue screen saying an error has occured and other times it just goes off. Is this likely to be a Windows problem, or a hardware problem? I'm running XP PRO with an Amd Athon 4400 processor and 2gig of ram.

hi,could be something you have installed recently hardware/software,also run a virus scan......shutting off without info could be processer overheating...then you need heatsink compound on processer simple job:)

smoggie61
5th December, 2008, 01:53 PM
Its been doing it a few months now. Sometimes it can be on all day and no problem, other times it does it frequently. I cant get the error code as it shuts down too quick. ran a virus scan and nothing showing.

DavC
5th December, 2008, 02:04 PM
Its been doing it a few months now. Sometimes it can be on all day and no problem, other times it does it frequently. I cant get the error code as it shuts down too quick. ran a virus scan and nothing showing.

go to control panel > system > advanced tab > startup & recovery settings > untick "automatically restart"

then the BSOD will stay up and you can write down the errors ;)

smoggie61
5th December, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'll check the error and Google it. Thanks

mickydibble
5th December, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'll check the error and Google it. Thanks

any joy? maybe your comp needs hoovering

smoggie61
5th December, 2008, 11:27 PM
I know, but its a last resort old son! I'll try the fixes and let u know. Thanks for the help.