PDA

View Full Version : Heating

steppenwolf
29th December, 2010, 11:11 AM
DK is place where people gather together from lots of countries and I am sure that everyone have some different experience. So I thought that I can hear some good advice about heating during winter and maybe some tips & tricks how to keep house warm.

I am currently heating on electricity and I am interest what is most economic way this kind of heating? I mean what is the best plug and play :) device?

Currently I am freezing my self to death and still my bills are getting bigger and bigger...

I have heard something about so called Norwegain radiators :hmmmm2: don't know is it good though?

Regards!

reddevil157
29th December, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hey m8, I think the most important thing to do is, to retain the heat that you've already got, your freezing, which would suggest a lack of insulation- heat loss. I would spend some money on this first. You could look into government grants for ppl trying to make their houses more efficient, they are available. We might suggest something that would suffice for us but not for you, I would imagine its a lot colder over there.

cactikid
29th December, 2010, 01:34 PM
warm boards for outer walls of house with no insulation or insulation paint.
Thermalite paint additive from Eco Living Centre (http://www.infolink.com.au/c/Eco-Living-Centre/Thermalite-paint-additive-from-Eco-Living-Centre-n773840)

patkins
29th December, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hi Steppenwolf, Hope you had a good Christmas and best wishes for the new year.
I fully agree with reddevils suggestions on insulation which was my first thought. You could have Dantes inferno in your home and draughts could make it useless. So Silicone sealer or expanding foam for the draughts and that is a good starting point. This, in itself ,will make some improvements. Best of luck. Pat.

thered
29th December, 2010, 04:33 PM
DK is place where people gather together from lots of countries and I am sure that everyone have some different experience. So I thought that I can hear some good advice about heating during winter and maybe some tips & tricks how to keep house warm.

I am currently heating on electricity and I am interest what is most economic way this kind of heating? I mean what is the best plug and play :) device?

Currently I am freezing my self to death and still my bills are getting bigger and bigger...

I have heard something about so called Norwegain radiators :hmmmm2: don't know is it good though?

Regards!

Stick another coat on lol

seriously though draghtproofing and decent windows are a must im not too sure about the thermal insulated paint i have read some not too favourable reviews on it its 5hite apparantly

i have always been told that electricity is the most inneficient way of heating fires radiators ect

if you want free fuel just go for a woodburning fire and knock a flue through the wall for the fumes a trip out to the local woodland will give you all the free fuel you need

and you get the bonus of a work out and a free warm whilst dicing logs

alec
29th December, 2010, 08:41 PM
After ensuring your house is good insulated. I only have the heating on in the lounge if it falls below 60f. I also use a dehumidifier to keep the air dry. I use a heated throw blanket that keeps me warm as toast, and is very cheap to use. I have the water heater on a timer that uses economy7 electric.

cactikid
29th December, 2010, 09:09 PM
evastar has used the additive for her batroom which was cooler and damp,warmer and damp gone.if its that bad try a
Snuggie (http://www.jmldirect.com/Snuggie-PS5784/)
in this weather people need to keep warm as too many have frozen to death.

patkins
30th December, 2010, 10:09 PM
Or you could buy thermal underwear but make sure the long johns has a pee hole.

utdman
30th December, 2010, 11:35 PM
just had my house renovated

it was tradionally plastered but i decided to have the external walls dry-lined with insulation plaster boards

Kingspan Insulation - Self Build (http://www.insulateonline.com/index1.htm?walls3.htm~main)

plus have the ceilings insulated in every room.
it has made a huge difference unlike before when the heating was on we were still cold, now its baking...

cactikid
30th December, 2010, 11:49 PM
what depth 50 mm

Grizz
31st December, 2010, 10:32 PM
just had my house renovated

it was tradionally plastered but i decided to have the external walls dry-lined with insulation plaster boards

Kingspan Insulation - Self Build (http://www.insulateonline.com/index1.htm?walls3.htm~main)

plus have the ceilings insulated in every room.
it has made a huge difference unlike before when the heating was on we were still cold, now its baking...

that stuff is the dogs spudz for insulation, ive put in a few houses for people and have it in my own. very easy to install (drill a few holes and mushroom plug it to the wall). if its your own house Steppenwolf its well worth the investment.

cactikid
31st December, 2010, 10:45 PM
comes in various depths,i have done1 wall with 50mm its a bit thick,so may use a thinner one in other room that is cold.curious can you hang them lol as my ceiling is always cracking.

Grizz
31st December, 2010, 10:57 PM
ive never seen it done and they can be fairly heavy, but enough plugs/screws and i dont see why not. if you have access above the ceiling i reckon it would be more economical to use fibreglass though.

utdman
31st December, 2010, 10:59 PM
what depth 50 mm

the ones i used was 18mm

dot and dabbed to the wall

reddevil157
1st January, 2011, 11:42 AM
The boards are great as said above, but expensive, in Ireland anyway ( suppose, everything is, lol ). Might be worth looking into getting a Thermal imaging scan done on the house. It'll show you exactly where your losing heat / where to insulate. So you wont waste money insulating a part of the house that doesn't need it. Might be worth checking out the price m8.

cactikid
1st January, 2011, 01:05 PM
think the house was built in the 50-60s whats insulation lol ,go up to the attic and look through the tiles to see if it was sunny outside,expanding spray foam fixed that problem,the extension is cold and walls cracking also so whole room needs doing up,outer walls losing heat and single glazed windows and the odd draft to do.

Grizz
1st January, 2011, 03:43 PM
i think the last time i bought it it was around E35 per 8x4 sheet of 50mm but i bought a couple of bales. might get a better price now with recession (in ireland anyway)

utdman
1st January, 2011, 07:24 PM
another thing which might be useful is

Polystyrene Veneer - Lining Paper - Wallpaper -Decorating & Interiors - Wickes (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Polystyrene-Veneer/invt/219990)

bald rick
1st January, 2011, 09:16 PM
I fitted a woodburner 3 years ago you wouldnt believe the heat they throw out.
You have to work hard collecting and sawing in the summer but it keeps you fit and its free.

:dancing2:

newbieland
2nd January, 2011, 01:01 AM
There are numerous company's out there offering to insulate your house.
I contacted one off the internet. Just googled 'home insulation grant'. They came and surveyed the house and took some details of my energy providers. I think they then apply for the grant.
They insulated the cavity walls and loft at a cost of about about ?175. I don't think I could have even bought the materials for that price!

steppenwolf
2nd January, 2011, 07:41 PM
There are numerous company's out there offering to insulate your house.
I contacted one off the internet. Just googled 'home insulation grant'. They came and surveyed the house and took some details of my energy providers. I think they then apply for the grant.
They insulated the cavity walls and loft at a cost of about about ?175. I don't think I could have even bought the materials for that price!

Yup it is not expensive. I don''t know how much do you pay for insulation out there. Here in Serbia price are about 12 euros per square meter. I am just qurious how much it cost in UK?