PDA

View Full Version : Central Heating Failure

lord peter haylor
31st December, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hi All.
During the resent cold spell several of my neighbours have been without heating on their condensing boilers, most turned out to be that a vent pipe froze up but other the main PCB failed. Doesn't anyone know what fails so much on the PCB?
The vent pipe problem is unusual because my vent pipe is on a north facing wall but is a straight drop to the drain while others go through a series of bends before reaching the drain, in each case the Council workers have cut through the pipe to free it and shortening the length of the pipe.
Any ideas to prevent future problems?

cactikid
31st December, 2010, 10:05 AM
ahh ha ha i had the same problem with my vent freezing as my pipe runs over a flat roof and started dripping inside on to carpet,i was told to replace pipe a year ago as an acid drip off is harmful and may go through felt roof so maybe i will go up a grade/size of pipe and then if no lagging was available get a bigger bore pipe slid over them to help from freezing.
i can see it happening again and again,even bathwater from bath froze in the pipe lol

DW190
31st December, 2010, 11:16 AM
My neighbour had her soil pipe freeze and flood the bathroom.

The balltap in the modern toilet was not sealing properly and a slight trickle continued to fill the cistern eventally causing it to overflow. Modern toilets overflow straight into the bowl and the trickle slowly travels rounfd the bend and into the soil stack which is cast iron thus before it get round the last bend before the straight drop it freezes and eventually the ice builds up and blocks the whole of the pipe.

It was an easy fix of just emptying the bowl and filling with hot salted water at the same time as pouring hot water on the outside bend area.

cactikid
31st December, 2010, 01:03 PM
health and safety instructions may say you have to run it outside so no option,
Pipe Insulation, Lagging, Foam, Armaflex, Commercial, Industrial, UK - Pipe Insulation, Lagging, Foam, Armaflex, Commercial, Industrial, UK (http://www.pipelagging.com/)

reddevil157
1st January, 2011, 06:22 PM
Hi All.
During the resent cold spell several of my neighbours have been without heating on their condensing boilers, most turned out to be that a vent pipe froze up but other the main PCB failed. Doesn't anyone know what fails so much on the PCB?
The vent pipe problem is unusual because my vent pipe is on a north facing wall but is a straight drop to the drain while others go through a series of bends before reaching the drain, in each case the Council workers have cut through the pipe to free it and shortening the length of the pipe.
Any ideas to prevent future problems?what make/brand boilers are they ?

chucklor
1st January, 2011, 07:16 PM
On a property I rent out I used to get the 2A fuse blowing in the PCB on several occasions, when I metered out the components it turned out to be a faulty pump which was cauing it, I think the usual thing to go on a PCB is one of the resistors and if you go on ebay or google there are several companies who will do a repair or repaired exchange for a fraction ot the cost of buying a new one...

cactikid
1st January, 2011, 07:38 PM
i had the wrong one diagnosed by gas company and when they came to fit it wrong connections lol,lucky i googled the name on boiler and found out they had a service van with all parts on board,3 days later came out and checked,it was a hidden board at back that went not the front one as gas company said.lol
even a service i am going to ring him as all parts carried if needed.

Meat-Head
4th January, 2011, 03:46 PM
, this will help but the plimber I spoke to has even seen these freeze too :eek:

JoK

what's a 'plimmer' lol
here in M-C two buildings with internal overflows on toilets froze the 4" pipe - same estate, differant locations lol

Makes you wounder why pouring anti-freeze down drains is illegal:rulez:

alladdin
14th January, 2011, 12:43 AM
what make/brand boilers are they ?
valiant ? by any chance?

several of these here with this issue.