PDA

View Full Version : Wireless access point

celast
31st December, 2010, 04:52 PM
Am I right in thinking that I could purchase a wireless access point to enable me to get a signal between my PC router which is upstairs and my DSI XL which is downstairs,which at the moment cannot get the signal from the router ?
If yes,which one ?

Mjolinor
31st December, 2010, 04:55 PM
You cannot do this with one. I am assuming you mean accept wireless from the router upstairs and relay a wireless hot spot.

Some will allow it but generally you will have to have openwrt and form a WDS between your access point and the new wireless repeater.

Not easy to do. The easiest way to set it up is with a wireless client and a wireless access point connected via ethernet.

celast
31st December, 2010, 05:05 PM
Mjolinor[/LEFT];909457]You cannot do this with one. I am assuming you mean accept wireless from the router upstairs and relay a wireless hot spot.

Some will allow it but generally you will have to have
openwrt and form a WDS between your access point and the new wireless repeater.

Not easy to do. The easiest way to set it up is with a wireless client and a wireless access point connected via ethernet.

Thanks for that,being a novice it sounds a bit complicated to me, what is a wireless client ? how would one wire that up
Wireless
access point to
Ethernet ?

Mjolinor
31st December, 2010, 05:12 PM
unless you are doing a point to point connection with wireless (very rarely used) then you do it with a master -- client relationship. The master is your hot spot and the client is normally your computer.

You need a client to connect to an already existing hotspot then that needs to make a hot spot of it's own for you to connect to. (that is how I understand you r need anyway).

In order to do that you can see that you need 2 wireless devices, a client and a master. The wireless standards are set up to allow this with one device, that is a wireless repeater but it is a bit complex and requires that you make an AP bridge using WDS connections. It is unlikely that your existing hot spot will allow WDS unless it is running openwrt (google it) so you are left with only one alternative and that is a "client" and a "master meaning 2 separate devices connected by ethernet.

celast
31st December, 2010, 05:20 PM
unless you are doing a point to point connection with wireless (very rarely used) then you do it with a master -- client relationship. The master is your hot spot and the client is normally your computer.

You need a client to connect to an already existing hotspot then that needs to make a hot spot of it's own for you to connect to. (that is how I understand you r need anyway).

In order to do that you can see that you need 2 wireless devices, a client and a master. The wireless standards are set up to allow this with one device, that is a wireless repeater but it is a bit complex and requires that you make an AP bridge using WDS connections. It is unlikely that your existing hot spot will allow WDS unless it is running openwrt (google it) so you are left with only one alternative and that is a "client" and a "master meaning 2 separate devices connected by ethernet.

So really its not worth trying to do it,I have a new wireless router and thought an access point could go half way to get the signal to the DSI,BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP