PDA

View Full Version : to PS3 or not to PS3 that is the question

dassey
5th December, 2008, 07:39 PM
:stupido:Hi folks, tried searching the previous threads for definitive answer but can't seem to find the answer so here goes. gonna buy my lad a PS3 for xmas. 80 GB I think. What is the definitive answer ? - Can you play PS2 games on it or not, or does it depend on something a bit technical ? Any recommended sites for purchasing games at a decent price apart from the popular ones such as amazon or play.com that you know of. Thanks for reading guys,,,dassey

davidred5
5th December, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hi There
Only the 60gb 4 usb ps3 can play ps2 games as there was hardware in that system that allowed this which has now been removed on all later releases incl the 40gb and 80gb system.

aliboba
6th December, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hi There
Only the 60gb 4 usb ps3 can play ps2 games as there was hardware in that system that allowed this which has now been removed on all later releases incl the 40gb and 80gb system.
My friend says he can play ps2 games on his 80gb ps3...maybe hes lying...idk.

Also why not just test a ps2 game on the ps3 yourself?

Raven
6th December, 2008, 05:25 PM
Your friend probably put his own hard drive into the ps3.....I always thought that the ps2 compatible playstation3 was the American version imported ? I'm sure all European ps3's had ps2 compatibility taken away aswell as hard drive reduction but same price lol.

C64
6th December, 2008, 05:47 PM
He'll be much happier with an Xbox360 :)

It can be modded to play copied games which you can downlaod from the Internet and burn onto a 20p disc!

jetsada
6th December, 2008, 05:57 PM
To add some more confusion to the mix,

I thought they'd introduced the 80GB version again to the UK which does play PS2 games? It's got 4 USB ports on it for sure.

davidred5
7th December, 2008, 02:01 PM
Different models of the Sony PS3 support different levels of backwards compatability with Sony PS2 games.

The 20 gig and 60 gig NTSC models of the Sony PS3 are the absolute best models for backwards compatability with the Sony PS2.

Available on certain auction sites

These models contain/contained PS2 circuitry in hardware. Each of these units contains a full PS2 Emotion Engine (EE).

Unfortunately, this hardware-based approach was very expensive and Sony discontinued the 60 gig PS3 after a very short time.

Even though the older 60GB version ps3 plays ps2 games its only certain games on the list that it will play properly. otherwise its a case of trial & error & see what you can get to work. if you have the 40GB version this will not play ps2 games.

Again I hope this helps if you need any further calrification please let me know.

:pcguru: :top:

macca147
7th December, 2008, 05:53 PM
hm i`m looking to buy a ps3 for crimbo what is the best one to get at the moment then