PDA

View Full Version : Buying a laptop

dassey
5th December, 2008, 07:49 PM
My daughter wants a laptop for christmas - in a bloody recession doesn't she know ?
She will use it mainly for MSN / surfing the net and homework. It will need wi-fi to connect to my router . Built in web-cam would be good. Hoping for a bout a gig of memory at least, HDD at least 80GB. Wont be used for heavy gaming, probably Sims. Anyone purchased anything lately they can recommend at decent price ? Or point me to a decent site where I can have a look. Not too trusting of these price comparison sites, always think they have an ulterior motive like a back hander from the shops...Dassey

jetsada
6th December, 2008, 05:50 PM
It depends how much you're wanting to pay really. I've had my Acer laptop for about 2 years now and never had any problems with it.

This one seems decent Amazon.co.uk: Acer Aspire 5920 15.4-inch Laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo T5550, Vista Home Premium, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD: Electronics & Photo and would handle msn/word processing and sims fine.

If you're wanting to spend less I'd be tempted to look at things like the Asus Eee PC/Acer Aspire One, the mini "netbooks" as they're called, fine for surfing/word processing for homework. I'm not sure about graphics though they'd probably handle a game like Sims but I wouldn't be sure about future releases of it!

jonno71
6th December, 2008, 06:25 PM
Take a look here matey buyit247.com - UK's No1 for Grade2 laptops and computers (http://www.buyit247.com).
My mate got one for ?219 fujitsu siemens amilo 1gb ram 120 Gb hdd.
If you can't see anything give them a ring , they're very helpful!!:call:

BLUE242
6th December, 2008, 07:18 PM
i have bought three laptops off ebay for 100.00 each for just that purpose. a second hand compaq with touchpad/ not stick is perfect for what you need

carbandit
6th December, 2008, 08:43 PM
try OpenDNS (http://www.bigpockets) .co.uk mate very good and free delivery

dassey
8th December, 2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I will have a look at these sites..merry xmas:party: