PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher -repair

paulinemc
1st January, 2011, 10:40 PM
Anyone got a clue how to repair a dishwsher? ive got an integral one (inherited with the house). Fagor make, bout 7 years old. One repair guy was rude and unhelpful on the phone, one turned up and said 'get a new one', took ?15 and left, and basically nobody will actually look at it closely and analyse the problem. It stops after first 10 mins and water wont seem to drain away. Tried a plunger to make water go away, in case a blockage but no joy. Is it best to renew??? Would rather repair but cant get anyone honest or reliable. Live Stockton on tees. help!!

reddevil157
1st January, 2011, 10:59 PM
the guy that took ?15 is more than likely right. 7 years old, by the time he may have fixed it, it may have cost you 1/2 the price of a new one. So you'd have a 7 year old machine thats been repaired, how much longer would it last ? I'd be going for a new one.

paulinemc
2nd January, 2011, 01:40 AM
thanks, but even that isnt easy! i went to currys etc and they wont fit the new dishwasher unless i purchase the same make as currently in situ (which isnt available now)!! Then they say its very difficult to replace and promise that the door fits exactly on the front and its my responsibility if it doesnt!! Im happy to replace it but everyone seems to give me obstacles! if i buy one and it doesnt fit onto the integral door then im stuck with a broken dishwasher and a new one that cant be fitted! god why are things so difficult?

cactikid
2nd January, 2011, 02:02 AM
i got a new kitchen and used my free standing unit to pop in underneath and also got a door when i change up,there should be plenty of integral ones to get,measure your width as a guide.do you have lime in your water which kills dishwashers .
YouTube - how to fit an integrated dishwasher (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how%20to%20fit%20an%20integra ted%20dishwasher&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1)

cobblers you can buy what you want,not what they want as long as it fits as there maybe 2 different sizes.

gregk
2nd January, 2011, 02:56 AM
You should have no problem in fitting new dishwasher in existing space. Just messure the with of the machine. Door will be same but what you might have to do is re-position mounting brakets so that they fit new dishwasher door. You will get new brackets and instruction with dish washer. I think the rezone comet insist on same apliance is the ease of fitting wooden door for their delivery man.
What you can do is messure Width and hight of the metal part of the door in your dishwasher then go to comet and see if new dishwasher door is same size. You also need to messure apliance Width and Hight.

reddevil157
2nd January, 2011, 02:11 PM
I think you can get standard size which is usually 600mm wide or a slimeline one ( dont know the width ) either way your worktop height should be ok. If it's a standard machine, your door should fit any standard model, but just measure door to be safe.

DW190
2nd January, 2011, 07:33 PM
Anyone got a clue how to repair a dishwsher? ive got an integral one (inherited with the house). Fagor make, bout 7 years old. One repair guy was rude and unhelpful on the phone, one turned up and said 'get a new one', took ?15 and left, and basically nobody will actually look at it closely and analyse the problem. It stops after first 10 mins and water wont seem to drain away. Tried a plunger to make water go away, in case a blockage but no joy. Is it best to renew??? Would rather repair but cant get anyone honest or reliable. Live Stockton on tees. help!!

If you can turn off the water supply and get the dishwassher out, hold the waste pipe low with a bowl underneath. If water freely runs its odds on its the pump. If it just trickles it could be blocked.

What I do with the washing machine which the wife manages to block regularly is hold the waste pipe out through the kitchen door and set the machine to empty/spin, at the same time pushing and pulling a 3 foot long piece of plastic pipe in and out of the waste to dislodge the fluff. After a minute or so it clears. You will more than likely get wet so be warned.

chucklor
2nd January, 2011, 07:53 PM
The most popular dishwashers come in two sizes 60cm and 45cm and are standard worksurface height as stated above, there are 3 types freestanding which just comes with the factory door(white silver etc); semi intergrated, which you normally have the controls on display with a smaller door(matching your units) ; fully intergated which will have a full height door and the controls are on the top of the pull down door, they are all interchangable. The doors are fully adjustable as there is no adjustment on the actual dishwasher door. I would be tempted to take the door fascia down to the suppliers and they should be able to suggest your options.It is worth noting that some older washers had a hot and cold feed, and most new ones have cold feed only. As previously stated the price to repair will not warrant it, I would opt for a new one....chuck

paulinemc
3rd January, 2011, 01:06 AM
thanks all for replies. Gona opt for a new one and try the local shop who supply and fit, easier I hope!! Forgot the complicated bit is a plumber who fitted a radiator in my conservatory ran the two flexi pipes carrying the water to the new radiator UNDER the legs of the dishwasher so hoping the old one will come out safely and the new one can go in without too much disruption to these pipes!!

reddevil157
3rd February, 2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe this will help someone else. My dishwasher wouldn't work for me today. It was stuck on the programme, 65 degree wash, not a peep when I turned it on. So I held down the programme button as I turned it on and it reset itself, maybe everyone knows this but I didn't. Hope it help's someone.

rabburnit
3rd February, 2011, 10:22 PM
ITS 1 OFF 2 PROBS. 1 ITS NOT HEATING THE WATER AND WILL NOT ADVANCE, 2 THE PUMP IS BLOCKED.....1 IF ITS NOT HEATING THE WATER REPLACE HEATER OR CHECK FOR BROKEN WIRE AT BOTTOM OF DOOR WHERE LOOM GOES FROM DOOR TO BASE OF M/C 2 NOT PUMPING REMOVE PUMP AND CLEAN OR REPLACE IF FAULTY...

coopertronics
27th February, 2011, 11:09 PM
I found this website pretty invaluable when it came to finding out the error codes and trying to figure out what was wrong with our Diplomat (Rebranded SMEG) dishwasher -

UK Whitegoods (http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=33)

Traders post on this website, so the help given is generally of a high standard.

Hope this helps.