PDA

View Full Version : virgin wireless router

cablefreejunkie
2nd January, 2011, 11:45 PM
hi
was thinking of going wireless in the house
im on 10mb at the mo with vm
they are offering a router for 75 which im a bit pished off about as i been with them for a long time since ntl days,,has anybody got one of there routers and if so are they good etc,,also with three lappys in the house will 10mb be enough ? im the only one dl but there will also be the ps3 online in the kids room
im gonna try and blag the router for free of vm if i get good feedback on here,if there shite whats the best way to go ???
any advice much appreciated as always
happy new year peeps

lfc4life
2nd January, 2011, 11:47 PM
i have had a router from them for a while now ;) And its been no problem :) its a D- link

wilf
3rd January, 2011, 12:08 AM
i have their netgear router for 5 years its been very good, i pay for 20meg but get between 15 and 17 all the time and i run 3 laptops, 1 desktop, 3 dms and a xbox 360 no probs

chriss
3rd January, 2011, 11:55 AM
ru on xl package?if so phone them like i did the other day and i got one comming for nothing because the bloke said cause you been on xl for a long time we will give you one for nothing

digilox
3rd January, 2011, 01:31 PM
I got a D-Link DIR-615 (free - had to pay postage) from them about 9 months ago. It was a bit of a pig to set up. Ended up binning the disc that came with it and doing it all manually.

To be honest despite being told that it was there "best" wireless router etc I have to say that the range was not as good as my old Linksys. I have now ended up using my Linksys as a repeater and now I get good wifi coverage throughout the house.

If you have been with them for a while you really should be getting it for nothing. Tell them you are leaving 'cos you have been offered a better deal by O2 .... that should get them going !

ruudvandan
3rd January, 2011, 03:15 PM
VM sent me a Netgear WNR2000 for free when I first joined. That broke after about a year. The replaced it with a D-Link DIR-615 for free. They said it's a "better" router but it doesn't have a wireless repeating function, which I need, so apart from setting it up I never used it.

The features on both routers seemed pretty basic and neither is worth anywhere near ?75 IMO. They're good for basic use i.e. connecting to the internet and basic home networking, but if you want to do anything more advanced, like repeating or streaming HD video you'll need a better router. If you can get them free, fair enough, but if you have to pay ?75, you can go to virtually anywhere and get a basic wireless N router cheaper.

cablefreejunkie
3rd January, 2011, 04:43 PM
ru on xl package?if so phone them like i did the other day and i got one comming for nothing because the bloke said cause you been on xl for a long time we will give you one for nothing
im not on an xl package,,i was on a basic tv package as i was using a dbox 2 for years,as soon as nag 3 hit my area and the dbox was useless i rang them up and cancelled the tv package,that was quite recently,im now on freeview,so i think im goona have to try hard to be able to blag one for nowt,,
if i want to stream hd movies and i need it for repeating what are the best options to go for ?

mickydibble
3rd January, 2011, 05:47 PM
Wireless G/N would be fine loads about eBay etc cheap ,get a netgear

ruudvandan
3rd January, 2011, 05:54 PM
I have a netgear WNDR3700 upstairs. This is a top-of the range dual-band router and it cost me about ?120 and downstairs I have a WNR3500L as a repeater which cost me about ?50.

There's no need to spend the ?120 for a dual-band network if none of your devices work on the 5GHz frequency (normal is 2.4GHz), I wish I didn't lookin back. The 5GHz is slightly faster and more reliable but not worth the cash. It probably would be worth it though if several of you in the same house were streaming HD and as I don't have a 5GHz router downstairs I can only repeat the 2.4GHz signal. If I was creating my network again though I would settle for 2 of the cheaper ones.

If I were you, I would look for a cheap wireless N router that works at 300mbs (some only do 150) and has a wireless repeating function. You can go on the netgear website and look at the different features and choose what you want. Although I haven't tried it I think a setup of 2 WNR3500L would eaily be sufficient for most people.

RANGEMAX WIRELESS- N GIGABIT ROUTER (http://www.netgear.co.uk/wnr3500l.php)

ruudvandan
3rd January, 2011, 06:00 PM
Wireless G/N would be fine loads about eBay etc cheap ,get a netgear

wireless G is definately not good enough to stream HD. I've tried streaming to my PS3 through wireless G (PS3 only has wireless G) and it was constantly buffering (about 3 times a second). That's why I hav a reapeater downstairs. I repeat the wireless N signal and connect the PS3 to the router through the Ethernet port. 150mbs N also freezes, but nowhere near as often but 300mbs N works fine - no probs yet!

mujarrad
4th January, 2011, 04:12 PM
Im on 10 meg they gave us Netgear N Router

cablefreejunkie
4th January, 2011, 07:00 PM
rang them today, now i know from other posts on dk that people hate speaking to vm customer service as its somebody on the other side of the globe,ie india,,personally i have never ever had a problem with vm and i have spoke many times to agents in india,,anyway today it was a brummie ,,,,,was told i had 2 options,upgrade and receive a new wireless router or pay ?60,,obviously i told them in the politest manner that i wanted to leave,,ok will transfer you to customer relations team,,guy asks me why i wanted leave,,i explain i dont want to pay for router,,he says sir you are eligible for a free upgrade to 20meg no extra monthly cost plus a free vm super hub,they are sending me all the info in the post this week i had to double check he wasnt talking shite but i was assured a freebie plus 20meg upgrade,check the link below
Wireless routers | Fibre Optic Broadband - Virgin Media Shop (http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html)

digilox
4th January, 2011, 09:47 PM
RESULT !!!! :dancing2:

ruudvandan
5th January, 2011, 12:36 AM
nice one - let us know if it's any good!

super jumbe
5th January, 2011, 04:42 AM
You will be surprise how this company?s change there tune in the last minutes when you tell them I had enough close my account, let us know how you got on because I am about to do the same.
:cheer:

cablefreejunkie
5th January, 2011, 10:11 AM
You will be surprise how this company?s change there tune in the last minutes when you tell them I had enough close my account, let us know how you got on because I am about to do the same.
im supposed to receive this by courier no later than friday,so as always i shall report back,one more thing,anyone know a good bb checker ? im supposed to be on 20 meg now and wouldnt mind running a sort of diagnostic check to see what im actually getting

super jumbe
5th January, 2011, 12:03 PM
On the google just write (speed test) you will directed to the numbers of website.

cablefreejunkie
5th January, 2011, 12:16 PM
done the check
my up speed is 19003 kbps and my down is 1744 kbps
not sure on how to calculate what i should be getting ie is 20 meg 20000 kbps ?

Shady
5th January, 2011, 12:18 PM
think you mean down is 19003 kbps. you will NEVER get full 20 meg mate, but judging by that, you're getting damn close.

mjrrenegade
5th January, 2011, 01:28 PM
I upgraded my BB from 10mb to 20mb just before xmas and wasn't told about the free super hub! I've just given VM a call and a shiny new free hub is on it's way :) it can't be any worse than the crappy d-link effort i have at the minute.

frankharrison
5th January, 2011, 02:49 PM
My son-in-law's VM wireless modem started making a loud noise. He rang them and asked for another. VM said he wasn't on broadband! He said why are you taking money out of my bank then?
Sent him new one next day.
Also without asking put him highest bandwidth and put his monthly bill up :(
They won't drop it as they say he confirmed he would like broadband and that means he's locked in for at least a year.
He still has not got it sorted as the person he spoke to " has never worked there".
Anyway, sorry for jumping in on this thread.
Frank

cablefreejunkie
5th January, 2011, 04:37 PM
My son-in-law's VM wireless modem started making a loud noise. He rang them and asked for another. VM said he wasn't on broadband! He said why are you taking money out of my bank then?
Sent him new one next day.
Also without asking put him highest bandwidth and put his monthly bill up :(
They won't drop it as they say he confirmed he would like broadband and that means he's locked in for at least a year.
He still has not got it sorted as the person he spoke to " has never worked there".
Anyway, sorry for jumping in on this thread.
Frank
bit off topic frank but hey,i dont mind,,,if hes really having that much grief with vm get in touch with ofcom,they regulate big corps like vm,they will get it sorted for you,,alternatively post a new thread in the main forum under general chat,you will get no end of help mate

just found this tweak for xp pro
Here***8217;s a simple 3 minute tweak (XP Pro only) that will increase your broadband speed.

By default (even with QoS disabled) Windows XP reserves up to 20 percent of your connections bandwidth.

To override this reserve take the following steps.

Make sure you Log on as Administrator, not as a user with Administrator privileges.

* Start > Run > type gpedit.msc
* You will see [Local Computer Policy]
* Expand the [Administrative Templates] branch
* Expand the [Network] branch
* Highlight [QoS Packet Scheduler]
* Double-click [Limit Reservable Bandwidth]
* Check [Enabled]
* Change [Bandwidth limit %] to 0 %
* Click [Apply] [OK]
* Restart

Effect is immediate

hope this helps someone out

cablefreejunkie
6th January, 2011, 09:28 PM
got this wireless router today from vm but im having issues getting it to connect,,basically its not acquiring a network address
is this some kind of conflict between the lappy and the router ? if so any idea how i resolve it ?

ruudvandan
7th January, 2011, 01:21 AM
got this wireless router today from vm but im having issues getting it to connect,,basically its not acquiring a network address
is this some kind of conflict between the lappy and the router ? if so any idea how i resolve it ?

What os you on? I remember havin similar problems when I upgraded from XP to Vista

firestorm
7th January, 2011, 05:29 AM
i used to have the 20meg connection with virgins modem and my netgear wireless rooter worked great never had any problems.then the offered to upgrade me to the vip package and my bill would come down by 59p and i would get 50meg broadband plus free all day calls so i agreed.They came and fitted a new modem and a d link wireless rooter it worked great for about 2 days then the internet would not work so i had to unplug the rooter and modem plug them back in about 3 or 4 time before it would start to work again.So after getting very pissed of with this i rang them and they sent me another d link rooter which was the same.So i rang them again and they sent so chap out who said"the d link rooter are crap you need to ring virgin and ask for a new netgear supper hub" so i did only to be tild it would cost ?60 so i told them i want to go back to my old 20meg to which they said"cant do that it will cost you more as the package you was on is no longer available and it will cost you more than you were paying" in the end after telling them to rip the bloody lot out they sent me the super hub for free which works better than the d link down stairs but now if i go upstairs it lose the connection i am now arguing with them but they wont put me back on the old package

cablefreejunkie
7th January, 2011, 09:39 AM
What os you on? I remember havin similar problems when I upgraded from XP to Vista
im on xp media edition sp3,spoke to vm last night but as 8 oclock was approaching the tosser cut me off,,,home time in mumbai i guess,,will give it another go today
he did say it was a 3rd party software issue
i told him bollo+
all toshiba lappys have intel pro wireless installed as standard,,i was then transferred to another advisor,but as stated 8 oclock arrived,,back on it today

Danian
7th January, 2011, 12:12 PM
hi
was thinking of going wireless in the house
im on 10mb at the mo with vm
they are offering a router for 75 which im a bit pished off about as i been with them for a long time since ntl days,,has anybody got one of there routers and if so are they good etc,,also with three lappys in the house will 10mb be enough ? im the only one dl but there will also be the ps3 online in the kids room
im gonna try and blag the router for free of vm if i get good feedback on here,if there shite whats the best way to go ???
any advice much appreciated as always
happy new year peeps

I recently had a fault on my VM modem and they replaced it with a new wireless modem for free. It seems to work fine, however I preferred to buy my own Netgear router, as the range is much better.

I also have a 10MB connect from VM and it works perfectly. Like you we have many devices connected to the web at one time and the bandwidth is plenty.

Hope this helps...

cablefreejunkie
7th January, 2011, 04:23 PM
managed to get it sorted today,but only after speking to 3 different advisors,,and making 3 seperate calls back to vm,,anyway im up and running,just done my speed check again and now im wireless my down speed has dropped from 19003 ethernet to 5952 wireless,,this dosent sound good to me
what do peeps think ?

Spango
19th January, 2011, 06:43 PM
i am on 20mb bb . i told vm if you upgrade to 20 mb you get the free super hub modem/router so i should be entitled to a free one because in the past i upgraded at some point. they agreed and gave me the superhub, free installation and have upgraded me free to 50mb bb !! i think vm and sky are running scared because there is a revolution coming with internet tv and internet boxes !!:giveup:

choozay
20th January, 2011, 05:26 PM
managed to get it sorted today,but only after speking to 3 different advisors,,and making 3 seperate calls back to vm,,anyway im up and running,just done my speed check again and now im wireless my down speed has dropped from 19003 ethernet to 5952 wireless,,this dosent sound good to me
what do peeps think ?

You have lost a hefty portion of ya download speeds!! What router have you got??

Have u ran the speed test with jus one PC connected to the wireless router??

shedder101
18th February, 2011, 08:08 AM
is this the same super hub loads of forums are complaining about,,,,, works great wired but drops connection all the time wireless.....good luck