PDA

View Full Version : Which HD DVD Player to complement my LCD TV?

Bugzee
18th April, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi People, I hope to buy a LCD TV this weekend and to complement the TV, which HD DVD Player should I go for, any recommendation or the ones to avoid. Thanks.:burnout:

krazylegz
28th April, 2008, 10:43 AM
blu_ray is the best m8, as you probably know HD DVD has been dropped by a few of the big companies, but saying that the prices have come down a lot since and would probably be worth getting just for the upscaling.

so if you have a few hundred for one get a blu_ray if not get a HD DVD player;)

C64
28th April, 2008, 11:54 AM
Without a doubt it has to be Blu-Ray mate, HD-DVD is dead.

If i were in the market for a Blu-Ray player then I'd simply buy a PS3, it's Blu-Ray playback is fantastic and it upscales great aswell.

hawkish
30th April, 2008, 10:50 PM
The PS3 is king - and currently the only version 2.0 player on the market with the fastest boot time too

If you def want a box version then the DMPBD30EBK is top choice IMO

aftermath
19th May, 2008, 01:33 PM
I just bought the PANASONIC BD30AEG-K PANASONIC BD30AE-K BLU RAY PLAYER

i am very pleased with the quality m8, even normal dvd`s get upscaled to nearly full HD.

i found a couple of divx movies on cd, and the played as well, better than normal quality,

Blu ray picture is stunning, and its own Virtual surround sound is a nice touch.

Give a few more months and i am sure it will be far cheaper than the ?350 what i paid for it.

ronaldo121
19th May, 2008, 08:29 PM
Steve you should have bought the PS3 man

aftermath
19th May, 2008, 08:32 PM
I dont play games Ronnie, and i want to add an amplifier and surround sound if or when i want m8.

ronaldo121
19th May, 2008, 08:40 PM
okay mate i just thought it would have been cheaper also you can use the optical for surround sound but for your needs maybe this was better option

aftermath
19th May, 2008, 08:45 PM
the sales guy tried to sell me a ps3, and i was tempted, but needed something that played all my existing disks, only thing is , it wont play super audio cds though

hawkish
20th May, 2008, 10:49 AM
Plus the PS3 uses a software based decoder for the movies - BD30s have p4p hardware decoding that improves all types of dvds and HD scources (plus it physically looks a lot nicer than the ps imo - good choice aftermath)

:top:

Curly
20th May, 2008, 02:51 PM
Give a few more months and i am sure it will be far cheaper than the ?350 what i paid for it.

They are down to ?300 (http://www.webelectricals.co.uk/eStore/Product.asp?ProdUID={0E13F4CC-5FFE-4825-BFD0-85A4C947C730}&AUID={A85AEAD1-7355-446E-9FE9-8644269F87CB}) now Steve m8, looks a nice bit of kit.

Curly

aftermath
20th May, 2008, 07:41 PM
Well it was just a matter of time curly mate, just didnt expect it that quick.

I must admit ?30 for a HD cable is a bit steep, and the top one was ?80.

aftermath
23rd May, 2008, 03:53 PM
I was talked into buying a hdmi cable for it for ?30, the shop had other cables in for ?80 and less, i was told i need the good quality cable or i would lose the picture quality.

The problem ive got is my Pioneer tv has only got 1 HDMI socket, so obviously i am using this for my blu ray player, which means my V+ box is now only on scart.

i looked on ebay for splitters and hubs and saw quite a few HDMI swith hubs, quite cheap as well ( around ?20 ).

Are these switch/hubs/splitters a waste of money ?
Would i lose the picture quality having one of these ?

any help will be appreciated.

sambo
18th June, 2008, 11:10 PM
These shops make most of their money selling extra warranty and accessories. USB and hdmi cables from the highstreet seem to have a markup of like 1500% compared to places like ebuyer.

HDMI is a standard, any cheap cable with the logo printed on the box (assuming it's not a fake) will do exactly the same job as an expensive branded one.

Jocky666
30th December, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hi People, I hope to buy a LCD TV this weekend and to complement the TV, which HD DVD Player should I go for, any recommendation or the ones to avoid. Thanks.:burnout:

Mate unless you wanna spend ?20 on a movie I suggest ur money better spent on HDD media player The I-box looks good see this thread
(http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f32/blu-ray-divx-player-22292/) For my response, I'll be getting an I-box or similar soon aslong as it will Play MKV files which carry H.264 format aslo there is a wireless I=box and other media players you can stream directly to them over a home network.
I currently have an emprex ME1 and that has great picture quality through component though it won't play MKV.. but will play High def divx just never tried the divx one, Dvd rips look great...

Hope this helps :captain:

Jocky

:party::party::party:

on_the_jazz
1st January, 2009, 04:57 AM
I'll go in order of cheapest first.

1) I would recommend an x264 player like the WD HD too.
2) HD-DVD is dead BUT if you have an xbox you can get the drive for a tenner. Disks are dirt cheap so not too much outlay to experience HD.
3) PS3.

Oh and it shouldn't matter about the cable. Its digital so if it works it works. There is no variable picture quality. Only analogue signals vary depending on quality of cable.