PDA

View Full Version : wandering mouse pointer

BLUE242
5th December, 2008, 10:28 PM
the mouse pointer on my laptop keeps wandering to the top of the screen. sometimes i can force it back, but other times it will not come down the screen at all. i have a compaq n400 with a pointer stick in the middle of the keyboard. it is awkward enough when working properly, but when it is being naughty i just can't be bothered with it. using windows 2000.

excelence
5th December, 2008, 10:31 PM
my mums did this.. her pad was messed up..

just take it to your pc shop and they should fix it for ya..may need replaceing :o.. cost us ?30 to fix it

caveman_nige
5th December, 2008, 10:34 PM
Have you loaded the drivers for the trackpoint (or whatever compaq choose to call it) ? However (now for the bad news), usually this means its shagged on a compaq, you can get a spare/replacement keyboard though and they are not to hard to fix, depends on your confidence..

BLUE242
5th December, 2008, 10:47 PM
would this be the case even though i have tried a ps2 and usb mouse only to have the same thing happen after a few minutes of ok use

BLUE242
5th December, 2008, 10:49 PM
i did reload the mouse driver, is there a different driver for the pointer stick

scooby111
8th December, 2008, 09:03 PM
Disable the touch pad in the device manager then use the mouse.

girovend
8th December, 2008, 11:58 PM
If you have the software installed just disable the stick,
or if you havent download it then disable the stick
thats what I did and can use the touchpad as normal,
It was obvious to me that the stick wasnt quite right
but its not needed

Street Hawk
9th December, 2008, 04:27 PM
Disable the Mouse pointer. im not sure on compaq laptops as i mainly work with dell's i know dell laptops experience the same problem. on the bottom of a dell keyboard there is 2 ribbons. the smallest ribbon is connected to the pointer in the middle of the keyb. when it happens on dell laptops, unless you buy another keyboard, or you can live without the middle pointer on the keyboard cut the small ribbon & use either the Pad or a usb/ps2 mouse.

But note you do this at your own risk. if you dont know what you are doing then ask someone that can help you.

BLUE242
17th December, 2008, 07:54 PM
after reading your replies, i realised it may not be a mouse problem but a keyboard problem, as you mentioned. i uninstalled the HD MOUSE, reloaded the keyboard drivers, and then plugged in my USB MOUSE, everything is good now thanks