PDA

View Full Version : W221 500 2006 - ECU and GEARBOX not present..

Artjom
11th January, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hallo friend,

following problem i want to share.. and maybe someone can help ...

today an S-Class W221 500 2006 came to me... the car was not driven for 6 moths.. before it drove without any problems..

the batteries were dead... both of the.. so some bosch center that tried to find the problem changen both batteries ..

now .. if i make shorttest by star... all units are present except the ECU ME 9.7 and the Gearbox.

strange is also then assording to Star ... the car should have 3 gearboxes and all 3 are not present.. so i get in star shorttest an "!" sign

also the other ecu say that no can comunication with ECU ...

before is start cheking all cables and tearing car appart .. i wanted to ask if any one had similar experiance... or have an idea what can be the propblem..

the ECU and gearbox got + and ground.. that i checked..

could the ZGW be in any way responsible for that? or is there any unit that can have something to du with that?

i mean it cant be that those 2 units are broken at same time..

and the vetilator is running the whole time..

peko
11th January, 2011, 11:55 AM
hi friend

when ventilator running always , is trouble from ECU ( engine )
two solution :
- ecu engine died
OR
- not alimentation 12v to ECU ( engine )

so check if you have 12v go to ECU with key in 1 position in ignition
or if you have ecu second hand maybe you can clone it with bdm

milanista
11th January, 2011, 02:42 PM
It's possible that something's wrong with the ZGW.
Can you check the coding of the ZGW? A reflash may do the trick.

peko
11th January, 2011, 02:59 PM
i forget, when you insert key in ignition, you can turn it ? because if you can't turn it, you can't made diagnostic because ecu not turn on

Artjom
11th January, 2011, 03:37 PM
I can turn the key.. and all other ecu work just fine..

is it really possible that because of the zgw the ECU and gearbox dont come to dignostics?

how can i reflash the zgw.. ? i have star.. but you have the procedure ?

milanista
11th January, 2011, 04:18 PM
I can turn the key.. and all other ecu work just fine..

is it really possible that because of the zgw the ECU and gearbox dont come to dignostics?

how can i reflash the zgw.. ? i have star.. but you have the procedure ?

Yes. All the diagnostic communication is handled by the ZGW. If you don't have ZGW - you don't have any diag at all.
Use your Star to connect to the ZGW and see the Live data and Fault codes. If you don't find anything unusual then open "Adaptations" and select "Program control unit".

nothing
11th January, 2011, 04:29 PM
Don't reflash the ZGW , if you reflash you will get in truble because you need SCN ! without it all the car wont function head lights will turn on , once i had this problem with CLS the problem was my DAS please try to use other DAS if that didn't work you need to see the car fuse then the powertrain CAN bus plugs then you need to see if there is a contol module doing a short in the can bus network you can do that by remove the plug in the powertrain CAN bus socket one by one good luck ...

nothing
11th January, 2011, 04:36 PM
othing thing you should try is switch the power off by remove the battery - for a little while sometimes control unite go to sleep mode .

milanista
11th January, 2011, 04:48 PM
Don't reflash the ZGW , if you reflash you will get in truble because you need SCN ! without it all the car wont function head lights will turn on , once i had this problem with CLS the problem was my DAS please try to use other DAS if that didn't work you need to see the car fuse then the powertrain CAN bus plugs then you need to see if there is a contol module doing a short in the can bus network you can do that by remove the plug in the powertrain CAN bus socket one by one good luck ...

That's not true! No SCN is needed to reflash the ZGW of W221 !!!

nothing
12th January, 2011, 01:28 AM
well , if its not true then flash it and tell us the result , control unite adoptaion --> reprogram we waiting for you !

Artjom
12th January, 2011, 07:39 AM
yesterday i checked the the voltage... the fusebox in the engine department on the driver site dont chare voltage to ECU .. i attatch scematics of ecu..

if i not undertand right then the ecu pins: 15, 19, 31, 27, 16, 3,5 17 should get voltage those are all on one of the 2 plugs of the ecu.

the pins 3,5 did not get voltage from the fusebox one relai C dont switch .. so i switch it manualy and conected 12 to the cable in the fucebox that is responsible for 3 , 5 pin in ecu..

now ecu hab one one plug (smaller one) all voltage that i think it should have.. but still no comunicatation...

does anyone know if the other plug one the ecu also should have voltage?

i also checked the 4 can connection of the ecu.. 2 go to the location behind driver seat and 2 go to location on the foot space of passenger... both arrive.. but did not check where they go after this location..

ZGW have no error at all... cant imagine that it is damaged.. shows all programming data corectly..

strange is .. if the fusebox in the engine department is realy brocken and ECU dont come to diagnostics.. because of it.. then why the gearbox dont gett to diagnostics as well?

milanista
12th January, 2011, 08:36 AM
Then it looks like your problem is not in the ZGW. It is very strange that both the ECU and Gearbox got broken at the same time that's why I suspected the ZGW...

@nothing: Hey mate, why don't you use DAS SIM and see for yourself if you need to have SCN code?
One more question - did you ever reflash a W221 ZGW?

Artjom
12th January, 2011, 10:50 AM
Does any one know which fusebox is responsible for the voltage of the GEARBOX ?

and why i got 3 gearbox on the shorttest? and none of them is pressent?

the car was parked outsite for 6 moths.. then beause bettery was killed they tried to star it by no luck..

where do the can-bus for driving.. (ECU, gearbox.. etc) go .. i mean the one bihind driver seat? because the can cables are ok.. where is the next step to which it goes ofter this?

nothing
12th January, 2011, 04:26 PM
you see 3 Gear box becaus DAS trying to search for your ETC ( 722.6 -722.9 ) .... take the pulg out of the transmission it have 4 wires 2 are can bus th other are power you won't miss it the colors will show you the green is CAN BUS red + blak - .

Good luck .

trigital
13th January, 2011, 03:11 PM
Try to connect from normal menu to the gearbox, not from shortest and follow steps as DAS suggest.

nothing
13th January, 2011, 04:42 PM
HI friend i wonder if you solve your problem , please feed back .

Artjom
13th January, 2011, 06:09 PM
i still working on it.. as far i understood.. the gearbox gets its power from sam front.. as ecu of engine does..

so this must be the problem ...

does anyone know if i can just put voltage to gearbox and ecu directly ... is it 12V ?

because gearbox has 4 cables... so can put 12v directly.. or is it 6v ?

nothing
13th January, 2011, 11:11 PM
its, 12 V , your ECU have no power as well ?

Artjom
14th January, 2011, 10:11 PM
ok problem soved..

the gearbox can bus goes thrugh the ECU .. if ECU is damage the can bus of the gearbox can pass through.. thats what happened in may case..

i tested not all can bus cables.. and voltage...

now the ecu has voltage from sam front... but still dont come to diagnostics..

if i connect the can cables in the ECU plug that belong to gearbox.. the gearbox start working..

now my question.. is it possible to use an used ECU and make it work ?

the car is an 2006 S500 did somebody try?

ramram7
8th March, 2012, 12:49 AM
Dear Sirs,
Anybody interested in resetting the ETC of mercedes 722.9,
there is a new tool available!!!
For people who are interested please send a mail to ramikhaled@gmail.com
Thank you :)