PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar Acert trim files

joeseph666
13th January, 2011, 06:52 AM
Hi Gang,

I have searched here on DK for an answer to a nagging question. How are trim files created for acerts?

Here is the scenario:

A truck with a twin turbo cat, has an ecm die. Not readable for any info. It's dead. Here is what happens to the owner at the dealer. Not only must the truck owner buy a new ecm, and get it calibrated... but he must also get an overhead. Why? Because the dealer will say that they must remove the valve covers to read the codes on each injector... so that those codes can be programmed into the new ecm. Then since the valve covers are already off... they might as well do the overhead.

So in this situation... the tech must read each injector, and probably create a trim file for loading into the ecm.

So what software does he use... where he can just type in the codes and wind up with trim files that ET will be able to program this new ecm with?

Thanks for reading this... and taking the time to give me any help on this nagging question.

trucks
13th January, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yes you have to get the injector serial number and confirmation code off the injector.The trim files can then be downloaded off of SISWEB

c16man
13th January, 2011, 11:48 AM
When we buy a machine (new or old) the first thing we do is to do a Copy configuration > ECM replacement. Then you basically have a backup of all the ECM data, current totals, ser no: and the trim codes and files etc. For a case just like this when the ECM fails.

chrisn27
14th January, 2011, 12:42 AM
We had a good bit of ECM failures on BXS engines. IF there has been no injector replaced since truck was purchased new the DEALER ONLY can call the ECM hotline and give those guys the engine serial number. The ECM guys there will fax you the injector serial numbers and cal codes that were originally installed in the engine.

This was off the subject and qustion asked but maybe this will sabe a guy from the unnecessary cost of an overhead or additional hours of labor at the shop.

joe5543
14th January, 2011, 01:49 AM
We had a good bit of ECM failures on BXS engines. IF there has been no injector replaced since truck was purchased new the DEALER ONLY can call the ECM hotline and give those guys the engine serial number. The ECM guys there will fax you the injector serial numbers and cal codes that were originally installed in the engine.

This was off the subject and qustion asked but maybe this will sabe a guy from the unnecessary cost of an overhead or additional hours of labor at the shop.

We always just pulled the valve cover write down the injector codes look up the trim files on sis web then install the trim files.

dieselman77
14th January, 2011, 02:56 AM
if you get the injector codes i can try and get the trim files for you off the sis web

joeseph666
14th January, 2011, 04:03 AM
Thanks guys for chiming in on this one...

So... it really looks like there is no way to dial in an injector code like we could in the single turbo days? Ie 5232, 6999, 9850 etc...

It really surprises me that there is not any way to hack some better performance out of those Acerts. Does anyone do that here at DK? Use codes other than what is "stamped" on the injector?

Far_Call
14th January, 2011, 06:37 AM
you can trim up the Acerts but only to about 30% of what you could do to the previuos trim setup. the injectors themself are capable but the software in the Adem 4 doesn't allow the % of change like the software in the Adem3's'
The other issue is the Adem 4 wont allow a trim file to be used in more than 1 cylinder so no way to put in 6 of the same.
Cats way to try and stop people putting in 5232 in all 6 pots.

trucks
14th January, 2011, 09:44 AM
You can use the same trim file in all 6 on Acert.Just open the file with wordpad and change 1 letter in <InjectorSerialNumber>

joe5543
14th January, 2011, 12:29 PM
You can use the same trim file in all 6 on Acert.Just open the file with wordpad and change 1 letter in <InjectorSerialNumber>

It should all be done correct trim files are for Idle calibration

joeseph666
14th January, 2011, 08:25 PM
Ok, time to go a little off topic... but yet not so very far off.

Is there some breakdown of what the digits in an Acert injector code mean?

What is the 5232 equivalent code on an Acert. It looks like the last 4 digits do correspond to what the old 4 digits meant. Has anyone tried that out? lol

Far_Call
14th January, 2011, 10:49 PM
This is correct however it will list all serials in ET the same so its quite obvious.
If you can test the Acert trim files you can soon select 6 with the same flow but different serials.
Besides you should not run 6 of the same Trim numbers as no 2 injectors are the same.

If the trim is wrong and it affects Idle it will effect the whole fuel range so I am against the common practice of using 6 trims the same. Hence me testing and calibrating trims and injectors prior to fitment.

Far_Call
14th January, 2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, time to go a little off topic... but yet not so very far off.

Is there some breakdown of what the digits in an Acert injector code mean?

What is the 5232 equivalent code on an Acert. It looks like the last 4 digits do correspond to what the old 4 digits meant. Has anyone tried that out? lol
the trim numbers as such are encrypted and as such they are not logical so you cant just change then by a % as such.
Be nice if it was that simple but Cat is a bit smarter than that.

joeseph666
15th January, 2011, 04:15 AM
{...}
...If the trim is wrong and it affects Idle it will effect the whole fuel range so I am against the common practice of using 6 trims the same. Hence me testing and calibrating trims and injectors prior to fitment.

Testing and Calibrating TRIMS...
Now that's kind of what I am after here...
But using trim codes that are encrypted... Surely you jest.
Is that what they are? Encrypted? Seed Value right in the code I would suspect. Amazing.

So how do I find the right trim file for what I want to do with a motor? You can't convince me that CAT knows best... because you would not believe the junk settings I have already seen (and backed up with ECM replacement) on trucks with some miles already on them. I have alot of trucks out there, getting much better mileage, and with drivers reporting a much better experience overall as far as power goes with 5232's in all 6. Could they be fine "tuned"? Sure.

But... works "good enough" is the enemy of "best".

That's really what I'd like to have for Acerts as well.
Thanks guys.

chrisn27
3rd February, 2011, 06:32 AM
We always just pulled the valve cover write down the injector codes look up the trim files on sis web then install the trim files.

Well which would you rather do? Just "simply" pull the valve cover on a C13 that's in a International 9200i SC cab with half the valve cover under the cab where you have to remove the dogbox inside the cab or just give the ECM Hotline a call? Sure a big pete 379 is a breeze but take that lil short nose and "just pull the valve cover" and you'll know what I mean...

tonyrb1
21st March, 2011, 08:30 PM
Where on SISWeb can you find the trim files?

cabby176
21st March, 2011, 08:44 PM
sorry to interrupt the trim file issue but what to do with fls fts settings i think that make big difference in fuel and power thanks

dieselman77
21st March, 2011, 09:40 PM
the fls and fts settings i think stand for full load setting and full torque setting if you have acces to fuel timing/mapping software you can get huge power/torque and fuel mileage gains from what i have been told but its very hard to find also custom trim files make a huge difference in power and torque but you have to send the injectors out to be flow tested and then get the trim files to match the test specs what engine are you working on rignt now c-15, c-12 ?

MDR72
9th April, 2011, 05:41 AM
the trim files for the mxs/bxs engines have long ser#'s and 4 digit conformation codes. i have installed larger injectors in a mxs engine and had a very bad idle. i recorded many injector #'s and 4 digit codes for injectors out of other engines which we were rebuilding. took the 4 digit code from the larger injector and matched it as close as possible to a mxs trim file. installed all 6 idles perfect and has much better performance. 4 digit codes on newer injectors is still metering codes. but cat did away with the dyno codes they were ment to check injector performance to see what hp was lost over time and mileage. if they still are avib they were never given to dyno operators. i know 2 and they cannot tell which file to use.

dieselman77
9th April, 2011, 12:06 PM
Are yo refering to the old I think it was 4232 code for the 3406E ? Somebody told me it used to make the engine have big power and great fuel economy

joeseph666
10th April, 2011, 06:03 AM
Dieselman77,

The code is 5232. Try it. You will like it. 3406E, or on a 6NZ.

Juanincho
1st July, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hi friends, someone can help me with the trim codes files for the bxs12190, how to get the files? where? (I'm not able to get the codes printed on the inyectors, yet) Or somebody can send me an ecm replacement file for another bxs engine so I can take the inyector trim files programmed from it?

Thanks in advance to everybody.

alcoholahmed
1st July, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hi friends, someone can help me with the trim codes files for the bxs12190, how to get the files? where? (I'm not able to get the codes printed on the inyectors, yet) Or somebody can send me an ecm replacement file for another bxs engine so I can take the inyector trim files programmed from it?

Thanks in advance to everybody.
unfortunately , trim codes should be supplied using the 12 printed code on the injector body...but this is your ecm file 3054511 do u wanna me upload it for you?

Juanincho
1st July, 2011, 09:13 PM
unfortunately , trim codes should be supplied using the 12 printed code on the injector body...but this is your ecm file 3054511 do u wanna me upload it for you?

No my friend, I already have the flash, thanks anyway, the problem I have now is there is a fault code relating to the trim codes (not programmed) and now I need to program the trim codes. If I find the codes printed on the inyectors the files can be created or downloaded?

alcoholahmed
1st July, 2011, 09:38 PM
No my friend, I already have the flash, thanks anyway, the problem I have now is there is a fault code relating to the trim codes (not programmed) and now I need to program the trim codes. If I find the codes printed on the inyectors the files can be created or downloaded?

once u find these codes just pm and i will send them to u...and then u can flash the injectors using ET and communication adapter...

squirles
26th September, 2011, 05:50 AM
Here the question is there a way to program the MXS injectors when all the four digit confirmation code numbers are missing.
I have all of the six injector serial numbers and the injector part numbers. I have the necessary trim files, I do not know the four digit confirmation code for the serial numbers. There has to be away of getting this four digit confirmation code from the trim file. Any help would be appreciated.

mmrj
3rd October, 2011, 05:53 PM

Here you go m8, just about every trim file availible. look here
:hello:

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f166/caterpillar-trim-files-here-222865/

Alligator
3rd October, 2011, 06:20 PM
https://rapidshare.com/#!download|90...iles.rar|10114
mmrj trim files are not in this rar. There are +18,000 trim files in this. Another +2000 with mmrj's.

mmrj
3rd October, 2011, 06:40 PM
https://rapidshare.com/#!download|90...iles.rar|10114
mmrj trim files are not in this rar. There are +18,000 trim files in this. Another +2000 with mmrj's.

I'm not sure where your link is from, but I did just double check mine and its working good.. ?? I have to be honest, I thought there were more than that on mine, although I'm not going to take the time to count them all..:)

Alligator
3rd October, 2011, 08:19 PM
You don't know where my link is from??? I don't quiet understand your statment. I copy cd's that come with Acert injectors and put them in to one folder then uploaded them to my rapid share account....
LMAO Count them you gotta be kidding me. If your running a windows operating system every time you open a folder with files it will tell you how many are in it on the bottom left.

Far_Call
4th October, 2011, 12:47 AM
Sadly even 18,000 doesn't give you a lot of choice and the Acert files are not as generous as the old trim numbers when it comes to fuel.
Stripping the file details helps and gets you out of trouble but there is a squillion files and the chances of the one u want being in these 18k is minimal at best.

Combining the New part number and the Reman adds to the total volume and helps weed out the better ones.

mmrj
4th October, 2011, 06:50 AM
You don't know where my link is from??? I don't quiet understand your statment. I copy cd's that come with Acert injectors and put them in to one folder then uploaded them to my rapid share account....

LMAO Count them you gotta be kidding me. If your running a windows operating system every time you open a folder with files it will tell you how many are in it on the bottom left.

I understand where the confusion came from. ok..what happened was that you never stated where your link was from, ( not that you have to ) and when I when to your Rapidshare link show up as 0.00mb at least that's what I got when I tried to download. Doesn't look like anything is there. Maybe it didn't upload correct? I misunderstood your post, thinking that my link was dead. It all makes sense to me now.

Sorry m8, I had just got done working a double when I posted before, I wasn't thinking a 100% ..

..And yes, I was just joking about counting all the files... lol.

mmrj
4th October, 2011, 07:04 AM
Sorry m8 I forgot .....thanks for your post of files. The problem might be on my end, but could you double check and re upload please?? I defiantly would like to add yours to my collection. thanks again.

Alligator
4th October, 2011, 03:05 PM
Sadly even 18,000 doesn't give you a lot of choice and the Acert files are not as generous as the old trim numbers when it comes to fuel.
Stripping the file details helps and gets you out of trouble but there is a squillion files and the chances of the one u want being in these 18k is minimal at best.

Combining the New part number and the Reman adds to the total volume and helps weed out the better ones.

Are you willing to share some of those hot acert files?

Far_Call
4th October, 2011, 11:12 PM
They are of no value to you unless you can bench test the injectors using the said files. as you know each injector is different and the file that gives you more fuel on one injector may not give you the same on the next.
Using Trim files like people use 4242 is a Dumb move and uneducated and as such damaging to the engine and pocket.

If your luck is with you and you manage to Jag 6 injectors that are very close u may get away with it but in most cases you will not.
Ask yourself how many engines run rough at Idle when using trims like 4242????? The engine is screaming out for Help but no one listens.

Alligator
7th October, 2011, 10:45 PM
They are of no value to you unless you can bench test the injectors using the said files. as you know each injector is different and the file that gives you more fuel on one injector may not give you the same on the next.
Using Trim files like people use 4242 is a Dumb move and uneducated and as such damaging to the engine and pocket.

If your luck is with you and you manage to Jag 6 injectors that are very close u may get away with it but in most cases you will not.
Ask yourself how many engines run rough at Idle when using trims like 4242????? The engine is screaming out for Help but no one listens.

FAR_CALL
We know the exact same stuff.....
The difference is I have to do everything the long way.
Every trim value = amount of fuel (some are the same as others)
I myself also believe in never using the same in all six because of the rough idle.
eg. xxxx trim in all six shaking antenna.
eg. fine tuned antenna doesnt shake.

ADEM 4 programmer to advance fuel past 30% all though that is way to advance and shouldn't be messed with by dk members. maybe you though lol.

If I didn't answer your question on if I can bench test injectors? I can. Can I give all six injectors different trim codes and make them flow the exact same in all 6 holes yes because no 2 injs are the same. but thats why they have trim codes.