PDA

View Full Version : Scottish lorne sausage

zaphodbb
16th January, 2011, 12:28 PM
Ok chop up bread put bits in processer blitz till largish crumb not to fine not to big until you have your 4 cups

Put meat and spices into large bowl mix together with hands until its all well hmm mixed, add bread crumbs and really get in there and mix it up don?t add water this gives the sausage a bad texture just keep mixing you will know when it looks ok. Then take a large piece of cling film place it on worktop put your mince mixture in the centre and make a square sausage shape oblong type thingy, cover all sausage in film pat in the sides then slap it on each side on worktop to make the shape a bit better, no need to bugger about with it there will be cracks but just leave them, put it into fridge overnight and let it fester, next day you can take it out and slice it up and repair any cracks, I found they always taste better the second day, I wrap them in two slices in cling film an put in freezer then you can cook them anytime no need to defrost

a

jim56
21st January, 2011, 10:31 PM
many thanks, will give this a go. usually pick mine up when i go back up for the games.

jim

Lainie
21st January, 2011, 10:47 PM
ye cannae whack a good scottish lorne sausage. i get mine from a butchers in anniesland what was voted best lorne sausage in scotland, mmmm delicious.

cgscott
22nd January, 2011, 12:27 PM
ye cannae whack a good scottish lorne sausage. i get mine from a butchers in anniesland what was voted best lorne sausage in scotland, mmmm delicious.

joe mckelvey runs the place lainie. Used to go to school with him.

Lainie
22nd January, 2011, 10:57 PM
always been an older man thats served me at the sausage counter. hes lovely, so helpful and their lorne sausages are bloody brilliant. another one they do that is lovely are pork round sauages with spring onion through them.

jim56
23rd January, 2011, 11:10 AM
Same place I get mine as I usually visit my family in dumbarton when I go to the games.

jim

allycoops
23rd January, 2011, 11:21 AM
Lucky Buggers, lol

I have to put up with M & S or Morrisons as its all I get down here unless I go up to my mam's and I usually buy a shit load bring it back and freeze it.

My favourite sausage of all time though has to be boerewors from S.A.

Try that on a Summer BBQ

If you can't do the skins etc try making it in a tin as in the recipe above or make burgers with the mixture.

Boerewors Recipe (http://www.africhef.com/Boerewors-Recipe.html)

Shady
23rd January, 2011, 11:29 AM
PUT UP with morrissons? Why sir, Mollygogs do the finest sausages known to man in 'the best' range

allycoops
23rd January, 2011, 11:50 AM
They may do great sausages in the best range Shady but I'm only on about their version of Scottish Lorne Sausage.

They and M & S are the only two places I can buy it where I live when I run out of the stuff.

The Guys are lucky that they can walk into there local Butchers and pick it up any day of the week,

I also miss a good old fashioned Scotch Pie with Mutton,

Can't get them either down here.

Cheers Bud

Shady
23rd January, 2011, 11:57 AM
oh lol maybe i should read threads a bit better? lol
ESABLISHED 1898 (http://www.wjsloan.com/id57.html)
any good?

allycoops
23rd January, 2011, 12:02 PM
oh lol maybe i should read threads a bit better? lol
ESABLISHED 1898 (http://www.wjsloan.com/id57.html)
any good?

Cheers Shady but I Think I'll put up with morrisons, lol

WE NOW DELIVER ACROSS THE UK!
SIMPLY CHOOSE THE DAY YOU REQUIRE YOUR ORDER TO BE DISPATCHED USING THE BUTTONS ABOVE WHERE ?16.99 WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ORDER TO COVER POSTAGE AND PACKAGING,

Shady
23rd January, 2011, 12:46 PM
~~~~ me! never saw the delivery price!!! sorry mate

rds60h
23rd January, 2011, 03:36 PM
Shadyback, not only are his delivery costs rip off, his prices are extortonate, the quality would have to be absolutely brilliant to justify his pricing. Especially considering some of his produce is out-sourced and not made in the butchers.

P.S.
Alleycoops, don't know where you are located but try and search out a Farmfoods frozen food shop they usually have Lorne sausage (Slice as I've always known it), Black Pudding, White Pudding and Traditional Scottish Steak Pie, it's not as good as I remember from "up hame" but it's better than nothing and it is reasonably priced.

Lainie
25th January, 2011, 01:24 AM
i will be visiting engerlund in april so if its worth me while i will stock up and you can meet me in yorkshire lol.

opsmonkey
26th January, 2011, 01:56 AM
just buy some sausage meat, add some pepper and shape into squares..

hardly ~~~~ing rocket science lol

rds60h
26th January, 2011, 12:20 PM

hardly ~~~~ing rocket science lol

It isn't ordinary sausagemeat used to make lorne, perhaps you would realise if you had tasted them.
Not rocket science, but common sense helps !!!

zaphodbb
27th January, 2011, 10:42 AM
sorry to butt in here but didnt i post a recipe on how to make the damn things, it would be better if you at least tried them before talking about shipping them etc, ops is right in one respect its not rocket science. think im done posting recipes now judging by the response to this one.

rds60h
27th January, 2011, 01:42 PM
sorry to butt in here but didnt i post a recipe on how to make the damn things, it would be better if you at least tried them before talking about shipping them etc, ops is right in one respect its not rocket science. think im done posting recipes now judging by the response to this one.

Hey zaphodbb,
I'm sure everyone appreciates your recipe and I'm also sure most of us will try it, so don't stop posting recipes.
It's just that not everyone has time or the inclination to do the cooking so advice on where to purchase the food (particularly when it is regional dishes which are hard to find) is also considered helpful, and remember it is your recipe that has stimulated the debate so has been helpful on more than one level.

Lainie
27th January, 2011, 04:38 PM
zappy ma darlin

its prob me that hijacked it - soz

but i still love ya

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/183-lainie/albums/lainies-pics/1353-animated-glitter-graphics-50.gif

charlie1952
1st February, 2011, 05:14 PM
cannie beat eggs bacon lorne black pud tattie scone 2 slice breed a cup tae thats good scots food never mind the heart attack youll die happy

charlie1952
1st February, 2011, 05:18 PM
im away to have stovies and tatties with breed

charlie1952
1st February, 2011, 06:16 PM
whats he delivering way rolls royce

thecelticfan
1st February, 2011, 09:38 PM
Butchers next to me does lorne with black pudding in the middle!

Magic!

carshalton
2nd February, 2011, 02:08 PM
Morrisons and Farmfoods in Sutton surrey sell Lorne sausage and some branches of Waitrose do microwaveable sliced haggis.Farmfoods also sell scotch pies and black pudding.M and S sell black pudding.

eileen
2nd February, 2011, 02:41 PM
sloans the butchers in dumbarton, spend a fortune there every time im home, plus all the orders off pals in oxford, we love the square, the steak pies, yum yum yum

eileen
2nd February, 2011, 02:44 PM
Same place I get mine as I usually visit my family in dumbarton when I go to the games.

jim
where do you get yours? i use sloans in dumbarton east

Shady
2nd February, 2011, 02:46 PM
i get mine by ~~~~ING TRYING ZAPS RECIPE!!!!!!!!!

Richard Wee
3rd February, 2011, 06:59 PM
This sausage is new to me. I am interested in collecting sausage recipes.

steviem
12th April, 2011, 10:27 AM
Shadyback, not only are his delivery costs rip off, his prices are extortonate, the quality would have to be absolutely brilliant to justify his pricing. Especially considering some of his produce is out-sourced and not made in the butchers.

Being a Dumbarton resident, i can confirm that all of Sloan's products are of the very best quality around. Like everywhere else, you get what you pay for.

Mee?kat
12th April, 2011, 03:15 PM
Instead of breadcrumbs you could add farleys rusks for texture and added taste also,i,m sure thats what the original recipe is too.

C64
12th April, 2011, 05:08 PM
I now know what I'm having for dinner.

I'm off out to Penders Butcher, a local place that does the best sliced sausage in Coatbridge.

Nom Nom Nom

markybhoy007
12th April, 2011, 09:07 PM
listen mate, i live in amsterdam and to be honest after a big white widow joint from hill street blues coffee shop, a role n square slice is like curry to a pisshead, the closest a kin get to sausages from the back home is a pack of richmonds irish links out the brittish shop in amsterdam and they cost nearly 6 ~~~~in euro so ill happily say thankyou for this recipe and if you have anymore recipes ill thankyou for them aswell, keep on postin big man :party:

Mee?kat
12th April, 2011, 09:56 PM
listen mate, i live in amsterdam and to be honest after a big white widow joint from hill street blues coffee shop, a role n square slice is like curry to a pisshead, the closest a kin get to sausages from the back home is a pack of richmonds irish links out the brittish shop in amsterdam and they cost nearly 6 ~~~~in euro so ill happily say thankyou for this recipe and if you have anymore recipes ill thankyou for them aswell, keep on postin big man :party:

Haha nice post and snap,i,ve lived outside scotland before and it is surprisingly hard to buy(like hens teeth)

Weird thing is now i do live back in scotland i hardly eat or have a craven for it,it seems to be when you cross that scottish border you hunt for it like a madman,i even remember trying butchers in ireland to no avail but some butchers said if i got the recipe they would make it.

That recipe looks nice posted and i also meant to add mutton lamb with farleys rusks is also in the main original scottish recipe i think as i did hunt down a recipe at the time.

So its baby food and mutton lamb,,lurvlyyy

mr.mojorisin
12th April, 2011, 10:15 PM
Gillespies on Gt Western Road, Anniesland are one of the best.
Bishops in Merkland Street, Partick (just down fae the subway) are superb.
if any of the above want to pay me for the free advertising, I'll take it in sausages :)
Anyways, thanks for the recipe.gonna try it sometime soon :)

jim56
22nd April, 2011, 02:49 PM

Apologies are due m8 as you indeed did post a recipe. I've tried it a couple of times now and should have reported back sooner.

My first attempt was not the best but my second was much better.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your recipe and please continue to share any others you have.

jim

jim56
22nd April, 2011, 02:55 PM
where do you get yours? i use sloans in dumbarton east

eileen

I have used Sloans and another little butchers in Balloch which I can't remember the name of.

Most of the time I use Gillespies of Anniesland.

jim

chazt
21st May, 2011, 12:33 PM
to right best in coatbridge same goes for their horseshoe black pudding
coatbrig man here to

C64
7th July, 2011, 12:31 AM
to right best in coatbridge same goes for their horseshoe black pudding
coatbrig man here to

Have you tried their steak sliced sausage?

None of this Lorne muck, pure sliced Sausage-ised steak, ~~~~ing delicious. :)

john theone
26th September, 2012, 03:54 PM
:santaclaus:

hardly ****ing rocket science lol