PDA

View Full Version : Fibre Optic, no difference noticed so far...

mrblue
19th January, 2011, 02:46 PM
Ive had fibre optic installed today, speeds of up to 40mb Ive went to speedtest.net and Im getting 34.9mb

Ive started to download a movie and only getting 80kb/s and no difference noticed in web browsing.

Dont understand this, I though Id be downloading at like 10 meg per sec.

irishbluestaffy
19th January, 2011, 04:37 PM
hi there,i dont think its slow on your side of things it could b the person seeding it try downloading another film and c how fast that is,hope this helps

markybrook
20th January, 2011, 12:59 PM
You might also want to check that your ping is working fine.
Try pingtest.net.

choozay
20th January, 2011, 05:29 PM
Ive had fibre optic installed today, speeds of up to 40mb Ive went to speedtest.net and Im getting 34.9mb

Ive started to download a movie and only getting 80kb/s and no difference noticed in web browsing.

Dont understand this, I though Id be downloading at like 10 meg per sec.

If you have 40Mbps the person you are downloading will also need to have the same speeds!!

If the person u are downlaoding from have a terrible connection their connection will reflect in your downlad speeds!!

Hope that makes sense

mrblue
20th January, 2011, 07:30 PM
It makes perfect sense and I was quick to criticise the connection. I was getting 3mb/s this morning through vuze.

Is there anywhere I can download movies and games without depending on someone seeding it to me.

Ive tried rapidshare and its not great. Ive also had a look at usenet, ncbmatrix but it costs to join.

barrowmanandrew
20th January, 2011, 07:35 PM
do you use newsgroups m8?
they max out your connection......

but the way is displayed is weird.
i have 20meg bb from vermin.
on newsgroups my max download is 2.4mb/s.

mrblue
20th January, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yea I had a free trial with one of them and was dissapointed with the UI

Might try the paid version of rapidshare....

barrowmanandrew
20th January, 2011, 09:18 PM
who's you bb provider are u in uk?

choozay
20th January, 2011, 09:19 PM
Yea I had a free trial with one of them and was dissapointed with the UI

Might try the paid version of rapidshare....

I would advise payin for it.. I would use newsbin!! You can get some amazin speeds

But be aware, cus your usin VM they do alot of traffic shapin and capping!!! Nt sure wat VM fair use policy is but the cap can cripple ur speeds

barrowmanandrew
20th January, 2011, 09:30 PM
yep, if you download during the day, they can hammer you.

Our traffic management policy (http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html)

best to download betweeen midnight and 9 am

sometimes i get throttled during the day, other times i dont.....

mrblue
21st January, 2011, 12:02 PM
Im with bt infinity. FUP is 300gb. Need to be careful. Will give ncb matrix a go, this would would be a newsgroup wouldnt it......

odiemixed
21st January, 2011, 12:05 PM
if you drive a porsche in rushhour, you have got the same effect

geethwh
17th August, 2011, 06:03 AM
You might also want to check that your ping is working fine.
Try pingtest.net.

Hi,i would like to share my ping test results
Reply from 74.125.221.83: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=53
Ping statistics for 74.125.221.83: Packets: Sent = 4,
Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 45ms,Maximum = 45ms,Average = 45ms
and check my ping from here whoisxy (http://www.whoisxy.com/ping.aspx)

Sepiraph
18th August, 2011, 06:52 AM
There are different factors that affect download speed, but mainly:

1) Path taken by data from server to client
2) network congestion - whether there is any bottleneck in the network data path

A upgraded link at home (last mile in networking speak) to the ISP will improve download speed if congestion (#2) was an issue. However, the download speed will still be constrained by #1.

You can actually use tracerroute in Linux or tracert in Windows to a ip address to identify what the latency (ms) is to reach the target. Unfortunately for a home user, there is basically nothing much one can do to improve on #1)

DeviousG
1st September, 2011, 05:35 AM
do you use newsgroups m8?
they max out your connection......

but the way is displayed is weird.
i have 20meg bb from vermin.
on newsgroups my max download is 2.4mb/s.

20 megabits = 2.5 megabytes

drawflex
1st September, 2011, 11:41 PM
8 bits in a byte....

anything quoted in megabits... divide by 8.. to get max speed in megabytes / second.

ISPs just use megabits to make it sound better, no-one else really ever quotes size/speed in bits... had me stumped before i learned this too.

Usually , when written b = bits.... B = bytes ... eg 20 Mb/s / 2.5 MB/s

rabujas
21st September, 2011, 11:31 PM
they are both IP conections and the speedlimit is not made by the cooper wiring or the fiber optic.

Most network conections these days use a CATTV kind.

It's CMTS (cable modem termination System), coper wiring until the Optical node, fiber wiring to the "cell" and another Optical node to take care of the modulation to coper again.

It uses the docsis3.0 process and it can give u speeds up to 360 Mb/s it does have an upload limit. because it normally uses for the upstreams a 6,4 Mhz channel bounding up to 2 channels (some say you could use 4), but the amplifiers will cut anything over 85 mhz, so it does get crowded, and because of ingress noise u cant use more then 64QAM modulation. Wile the download normally uses a 4 channel bounding group of 8Mhz channel with 256QAM and can go up to 8 channels, each of this "channels" have 50 Mb/s capacity

The ping does not get slower because of it. Your ping to the CMTS is normaly under 2ms.

Fiber optics do not necessary make this process faster, because most times u cant get these speeds because the congestions is on the interface at the CMTS, and that has nothing 2 do with fiber optics. Fiber optics is just another way to pass information, it is mutch better the cooper wiring in some very specific situations. Like, long distance and lots of bandwith needs. It has...

sorry, getting lost here. Just tell me, when u changed to fiber, what was the speed you paid for?

PS- sorry about my english

PS2 - ahhh, and byte it's a 8 bit group. Something like 11110000. Whe use the byte because it is the number of bits needed to assing a numeric number to any ASCI caracter. Actualy they use the bit, because it's the correct way to measure speed. It's the number of bits they can "move" in a second.

redjacek
25th September, 2011, 03:13 PM
to get a proper (fast) connection between users you need to wait until they finish fibre rolling out stage. It seems to me only marketing works so far.

drawflex
7th May, 2012, 06:29 AM
they are both IP conections and the speedlimit is not made by the cooper wiring or the fiber optic.

Most network conections these days use a CATTV kind.

It's CMTS (cable modem termination System), coper wiring until the Optical node, fiber wiring to the "cell" and another Optical node to take care of the modulation to coper again.

It uses the docsis3.0 process and it can give u speeds up to 360 Mb/s it does have an upload limit. because it normally uses for the upstreams a 6,4 Mhz channel bounding up to 2 channels (some say you could use 4), but the amplifiers will cut anything over 85 mhz, so it does get crowded, and because of ingress noise u cant use more then 64QAM modulation. Wile the download normally uses a 4 channel bounding group of 8Mhz channel with 256QAM and can go up to 8 channels, each of this "channels" have 50 Mb/s capacity

The ping does not get slower because of it. Your ping to the CMTS is normaly under 2ms.

Fiber optics do not necessary make this process faster, because most times u cant get these speeds because the congestions is on the interface at the CMTS, and that has nothing 2 do with fiber optics. Fiber optics is just another way to pass information, it is mutch better the cooper wiring in some very specific situations. Like, long distance and lots of bandwith needs. It has...

sorry, getting lost here. Just tell me, when u changed to fiber, what was the speed you paid for?

PS- sorry about my english

PS2 - ahhh, and byte it's a 8 bit group. Something like 11110000. Whe use the byte because it is the number of bits needed to assing a numeric number to any ASCI caracter. Actualy they use the bit, because it's the correct way to measure speed. It's the number of bits they can "move" in a second.

Are you taking the piss ? Im reading through that big chunk of text youve copied/pasted in, and i'm still struggling to find anything constructive... Or even really relevant.

janobi
7th May, 2012, 08:34 AM
Are you taking the piss ? Im reading through that big chunk of text youve copied/pasted in, and i'm still struggling to find anything constructive... Or even really relevant.

It's actually a very informative post about a fibre optic network.

Main point here is that you can only dl as fast as someone can upload. You can have a 100/100 seedbox but if the person seeding has an upload of 30kbps then that is all you will download at.

@op drop me a pm with email address and I will invite you to a private tracker so you can max out your speeds. Although you will have to seed back or get banned :)

Sent from my cave in wales ***128522;