PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to connect box to computer

rob6007
19th April, 2008, 12:28 PM
hi guys whats the easiest way to try and connect my dream box to my computer .

i have been told to get a cross over ethernet cable . not too sure on what do after that lol .

im not too sure on how to do it and everyone was a great help with the keys and things so thought i should be at least trying to have a go at trying to put in the new fix to my box . thanks

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 12:32 PM
Yes m8 a crossover cable and a program called flashfxp, you can get it below and theres a guide in it aswell to help you set it up. The guide is for a dbox but just change the password to dreambox.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=176

rob6007
19th April, 2008, 01:06 PM
Yes m8 a crossover cable and a program called flashfxp, you can get it below and theres a guide in it aswell to help you set it up. The guide is for a dbox but just change the password to dreambox.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=176

thanks mate . where do i get the crossover cable from . will argos have it or best going to maplin .is there any certain one i should get or are they all the same

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 01:39 PM
You will get one on ebay for about ?1 plus postage or maplin will have one for about ?5. Any CAT 5e crossover cable will do m8.

rob6007
19th April, 2008, 02:18 PM
You will get one on ebay for about ?1 plus postage or maplin will have one for about ?5. Any CAT 5e crossover cable will do m8.

think theres one in argos will give that a try thanks

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 02:25 PM
think theres one in argos will give that a try thanks

There is one in Argos but ?9.99, if there is any local computer shops about they will have them for at least half that price.

rob6007
19th April, 2008, 02:44 PM
There is one in Argos but ?9.99, if there is any local computer shops about they will have them for at least half that price.

no mate no computers shop around . checked maplins website they are a fiver i think so ?10 aint too bad . thanks

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 02:48 PM
Needs must m8 I suppose, it is 5m so gives plenty of space and you dont have to sit on the tv to use it...lol

Devilfish
19th April, 2008, 03:23 PM
I was in B&Q this morning and noticed they had loads. Didn't clock the price though :(

Edit:

Or was it PC World...shit I can't remember :roflmao:

slotamuse
20th April, 2008, 03:11 AM
hi ive been on few different forum sites and keep getting told to use null modem cable??never heard of it is it another name for crossover cable?? if i use a router can i not use ordinary ethernet cable from dreambox to router as router already has cable to pc?

Jaffa
20th April, 2008, 07:33 AM
hi ive been on few different forum sites and keep getting told to use null modem cable??never heard of it is it another name for crossover cable?? if i use a router can i not use ordinary ethernet cable from dreambox to router as router already has cable to pc?

A null modem cable is a serial cable which connects to the serial port on your pc.

Yes you can use a straight ethernet cable if connecting dreambox to a router.

maniac2
2nd May, 2008, 03:06 PM
Good info for noobs .

TravelHead
3rd May, 2008, 03:08 AM
Also try any large nearby supermarket or diy store, probably around the same price as maplins. Thing with just ordering a crossover cable online is the delivery cost, either have a look on ebay or play.com has a 5m one for 2.99 including free delivery