PDA

View Full Version : dreambox 500c

wakit
19th April, 2008, 12:52 PM
being very new to all things on a pc makes jargon difficult.is there an operating instruction book for idiots like me. ive got a 500c which has now lost its channels,i would like to be able to sort this myself but the lingo and no manual makes this difficult. many thanks

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 01:03 PM
You will be able to do it yourself no problems, you just need a few things.

a crossover cable
an ftp client, the most popular is flashfxp.

flashfxp and a guide to setting it up are in the downloads section which you will shortly be able to access, once you have 5 posts.

wakit
19th April, 2008, 01:49 PM
thankyou, my apologies at appearing dense cossover cable? ftb client

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 01:53 PM
A crossover network cable for connecting your pc to the dreambox or a null modem cable for doing the same.

An ftp client is a program for transferring files from your pc to your dreambox. You need these to get the new files on the box.

wakit
19th April, 2008, 02:04 PM
thanks jaffa,i have a router running ,will i be able to connect the dreambox to laptop via a lan/ether connection and run wireless through the router?

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 02:09 PM
thanks jaffa,i have a router running ,will i be able to connect the dreambox to laptop via a lan/ether connection and run wireless through the router?

To do it wirelessly, I think you must connect the dreambox directly to the router, but for what you need to do, then you can connect it to your laptop with a crossover cable and use the lan of lappy to connect to dreambox.

wakit
19th April, 2008, 02:19 PM
thanks jaffa,before i dive out and purchase the cables,just to clarify my prob,box will scan for channels,locate the channels but will not show on tv screen,i need to download instructions and user guide and flashfxp to my lap t. i can fix engine`s no probs but comps im struggling

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 02:22 PM
thanks jaffa,before i dive out and purchase the cables,just to clarify my prob,box will scan for channels,locate the channels but will not show on tv screen,i need to download instructions and user guide and flashfxp to my lap t. i can fix engine`s no probs but comps im struggling

All you need is to get the new AU rom files onto the box, you can do that by ftp or flash a new image with a null modem cable. I would try the crossover cable 1st, dont buy an expensive one as you can get one ofr about ?1 on ebay. Maplins or a computer shop should have them for less than ?5.

wakit
19th April, 2008, 02:33 PM
cool i will get them now,and i will have a bash at setting up, what down load do i require first.

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 02:37 PM
Nice one, take the bull by the horns and learn. :rock:

Download Flashfxp and guide at link below, this will tell you how to set up your lan and flashfxp. (in step 20 it says password dbox or dbox2....use dreambox as the password instead)

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=176

wakit
19th April, 2008, 02:41 PM
spot on,will try now,thanks for your help much needed
top geezer.

wakit
19th April, 2008, 03:17 PM
got the leads buddy but the download wont open,do i need rar player software to view it?

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 04:14 PM
Yes you need winrar to open them m8, just google winrar.

Then when it opens, extract it to folder of your choice.

wakit
19th April, 2008, 06:07 PM
jaffa, ihave both cables,downloaded the link,where do find info like the ip address.did warn you pc`s not my bag

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 06:18 PM
O.K what OS are you using...XP or Vista ??

You need to right click on the network icon on taskbar, doesnt matter whether its wireless or lan icon and go to open network connections, right click on the lan and click properties, then go down to internet protocol and properties, then tick use following ip and put in 192.168.0.101 and tab to subnet and it will set it as 255.255.255.0. Thats it for that.

To get ip of box, go to menu/settings/communication and you will see the ip there, you put that in when setting up flashfxp.

wakit
19th April, 2008, 06:38 PM
im using xp, well attempting to use xp

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 06:40 PM
im using xp, well attempting to use xp

Just do what I posted in my lost post or follow the guide you downloaded, if you get stuck just howler.

I assure you that you will feel really proud of yourself once you have it all set up.

thommo
9th May, 2008, 06:51 PM
thanks for the help

please use the thanks button, theres no need for 3 word answers saying thanks, no valuable input to the thread, "hence thanks button".