PDA

View Full Version : NAS Devices ???

flyingpig
23rd January, 2011, 10:55 PM
Hello All,

In this day an age of modern technology and our ever increasing demand for IT storage space it is time for me to get a centralised storage device. I have read loads about server 'v' NAS and have decided to opt for a NAS device. Now I have read a bit about the different products available and want to know if anyone has any info / advice on what not to buy or not to buy.

The ones that keep croppnig up are Western Digital My Drive, Buffalo Live Workstation, Seagate ???

Any info would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

FP.

freck
24th January, 2011, 03:25 PM
Interested in members input aswell....looking into this meself but need a push in the right direction.
Was looking at a Netgear setup like this one (http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-readynas-duo--2-bay----no-drives-included-5063.html).
Pro's and cons anyone!!!
Freck

billy2
23rd February, 2011, 07:44 PM
worth a look at this price

Dabs Ireland - D-Link 2-Bay NAS Network Storage Enclosure (DNS-323) (http://www.dabs.ie/products/d-link-2-bay-nas-network-storage-enclosure-49GV.html)

gadg3tman
25th February, 2011, 10:04 PM
one thing I would ask is whether the NAS will simply be used as a storage device or are you looking to leverage other features. For example I use my iomega NAS as a DLNA server to stream shared music to other devices in the house. Also have you considered whether you want to use RAID (Multiple Disks) to protect your data should one drive fail. Obviously all these options come with a cost, but its worth considering what you need.

Cheers

popi110
1st March, 2011, 08:17 PM
Would agree get a Dlna compliant nas also would go for a gigabit lan connection

flyingpig
1st March, 2011, 09:02 PM
Well I went for a Qnap 110 TS in the end.

The BT client is absolutely shockingly slow... In fact it is useless. The DLNA server is okay though. This is supposed to be a decent NAS but I would adivse anyone to stay away from it - There are cheaper NAS devices that actually perform better overall rather than just transfer speeds.

jos6ph
3rd March, 2011, 05:51 AM
whats the configuration of your iomega nas.. Raid 5? or Raid 6?

rpoint2012
23rd March, 2011, 03:22 AM
You have the right information, you are just looking in the wrong place.
Port forwarding is done in the router itself. I cannot be done from outside the router.
Not being a BT customer, I don't know if you have access to the router setup pages or not.
Assuming you do, you would go into the router setup using your browser, access the advanced settings, and forward your ports.
Be aware that if you do this, you are opening a BIG hole in your firewall, and advertising your machine to every port scanner out there.
Also, I don't know about BT, but most the ISPs frown at you running your own server on a residential internet connection

Lyrrad
23rd March, 2011, 09:46 AM
I just bought this with ?100 cashback [offer ends end of month]
HP Proliant microserver (http://www.it247.com/product/1/COMSUK24/633724-421-HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-Ultra-micro-tower-Athlon-II-Neo-N36L-1-3-GHz-1GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-1-yr-warranty.html). It may be of interest

oneman
23rd March, 2011, 11:48 AM
NAS is easy maintance but limited in upgrades. Servers are higher maintances but offer more features and upgrade options.

You can get a basic NAS which is limited in functions but will do for 80% of people, e.g. the d-link 2 bay nas is available at DABS for ?55, has DNLA server, bit torrent client, FTP server, itunes server and is also a USB print server.

Up from that, starting at around ?150 are NAS devices like qnap or synology which add much better management features, better performance, RAID 5 (when using 4 bay models), NZB support for newsgroups, HTTP servers, automated backups of clients and other features.

Around the same price as qnap or synology is the 4 bay HP microserver which forever seems to have 100 quid cashback. You will need to add a OS such as FreeNAS or Windows 7/W2K8. Its a full blown PC that you can do hundreds of things with including using as media servers to record TV or playback media (need a ?30 video card), ipod docking, print servers, wireless support, just about anything you can think off.

Personally I use a server but for my technophobic parents a NAS makes more sense.

BTW, the HP Microserver is an amazing device for the price. I would 100% recommend having a look at it.