PDA

View Full Version : aaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

nhodge77
6th December, 2008, 10:58 PM
trying to install update to my box,, but nothing happens,, all connected properly,, gives me the downloading box but it doesnt move

any ideas from you great bunch of guys

cheers in advance

bugaloo41
6th December, 2008, 11:09 PM
not sure what you mean by doesnt move. if you are saying it is not downloading try this.

1. connect everything up;
2. turn box off at the wall;
3. press download;
4. now quickly turn box on (may take a few attempts but it will work).

nhodge77
6th December, 2008, 11:22 PM
trying allsorts lol,, the downloading percentage just doesnt move

oldie
6th December, 2008, 11:26 PM
trying allsorts lol,, the downloading percentage just doesnt move

Have you used the null modem cable before to flash this or any other boxes ?

nhodge77
6th December, 2008, 11:31 PM
no just bought the cable today,,brand new in the box

markpearson16
6th December, 2008, 11:37 PM
Im having problems using filezilla and connecting to my dbox, its says connection established, waiting for reply then says times out no responce from server.
Im using a crossover cable from argos, is it possible its abit dodgy and sending a signal but not receiving.

Im fed up now, plz plz help....

Mark

bugaloo41
6th December, 2008, 11:37 PM
not being cheeky but is it definitely a null modem not a straight thru?

oldie
6th December, 2008, 11:40 PM
not being cheeky but is it definitely a null modem not a straight thru?

That seems like the logical answer bugaloo, they look exactly the same as each other.

nhodge77
6th December, 2008, 11:41 PM
the cable i have which the guy assured me is what i need is a RS 232 usb to serial adapter,,,,

bugaloo41
6th December, 2008, 11:49 PM
hodge sorry beat a bit now. sounds like there is a problem between the box and pc connection.

oldie
6th December, 2008, 11:59 PM
Is this the sort of thing you mean ? This the adapter which allows you to connect a null modem cable to one end, and a laptop or pc USB port on the other.
Then the other end of the null modem connects to the reciever.

nhodge77
7th December, 2008, 12:15 AM
yes thats the cable,, im now getting "flash update failed"

bugaloo41
7th December, 2008, 12:23 AM
hodge see now - usb connection seems to quite problematic for a few peeps. can you not get access to a desktop?

slapdap
I have found that USB to Serial cables don't work very well with the dowload software. I use my laptop with a PCMCIA (cardbus) serial port or my desktop PC with it's built in RS232 port.

oldie
yes thats the cable,, im now getting "flash update failed"

I,m no expert but it looks like 1 of 2 things, either
1 - you have to install the drivers for the adapter, or
2 - its a straight thru cable and not a null modem (crossover) cable.
Sorry if I,m proven wrong, maybe someone with more knowledge of the subject can advise you.
Good luck.

jacksparrow
7th December, 2008, 12:31 AM
have had the same problem. if you are using the GT rom loader try downloading via a different port other than COM1. when i use a USB to serial converter i have to use COM7

bugaloo41
7th December, 2008, 12:33 AM
my com 1 is goosed with some boxes - i use com 2 as default.

nhodge77
7th December, 2008, 12:44 AM
com3 on my desktop now back to nothing happening,, going to bed will try again tomorrow

thanks for all your help guys

ramjet
7th December, 2008, 01:30 AM
whatever you do you must use a 9 pin null modem serial cable

so if you are using this adapter you must also use a null modem cable to connect from the adapter to the receiver , so use both !!

this adapter is no good to you on its own

martin-f
7th December, 2008, 02:53 AM
To see which port your USB adapter is connected to, connect your USB adapter and follow the following instructions:

1. Go to the Start Menu
2. Right click on "My Computer"
3. Select "Properties"
4. Click on the "Hardware" tab
5. Click on "Device Manager"
6. Click the + sign next to "Ports (COM & LPT)"
7. One of the listed ports should indicate which port your USB adapter is connected to (e.g. COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.)
8. Go back to your map software program that you use to transfer data and make sure it is looking at the correct port.
9. You should be able to transfer data once the correct port is selected

If you need drivers go here

(mods not sure if this is allowed remove if i have done wrong)

USB to Serial Adapter driver downloads and documentation (http://www.gilsson.com/usb_drivers_download.htm)

Follow my advice to step 7. Locate your USB Adapter (port *)

Right click on that port and select properties. Then select port settings, then select advanced. At the bottom of that tab will be a drop down box with the port selected (port * in your case). Use the drop down to select another port (eg 1, 2 or 3). If the port you want to use is already allocated to something else, you can use the same procedure to reassign that port after you have finished.
Save the selections in the usual way. The USB converter will be permanently assigned to the port you selected.

ps this is not my work thanks to he/she who wrote it

nsw9154
7th December, 2008, 05:10 AM
THAT is why i decided to get the BOX PVR 1st -- then the BOX SUPER USB so that i did not have to mess about with null=modems and all that crap - my super usb is working perfect and all i have to do is flash it with my 4gig memory stick no lap tops no problem just easy peasy lemon squeezzzy lol hehehe

nhodge77
7th December, 2008, 12:17 PM
i think the problem i have is that the cable i have and my box both have male pins on them so i had to buy a female adapter,, think this is where the problem lies

gonna go on ebay and buy a proper null modem cable (cheap enough) lol

should be up and running in a day or 2 thanks for all the great help and advice guys greatly appreciated

hodgey

boomer39
7th December, 2008, 12:33 PM
try keywonder before ebay, they know what they are selling!! also delivery free nd asap, 2 days for me, and cheap. cheers
ps, i dont work for them!!!

dean_gifford
7th December, 2008, 12:54 PM
Im currently having the same problem, Tried a million solutions lastnight, 2 seperate lappys, all sorts of combinations of com ports but as yet no solution, i have a few little alterations i have to try, if i have any success ill knock a post up about what i did.

Good luck! Dean
p.s. The The box Supers... Fantastic... makes flashing childs play!

magic_moments
7th December, 2008, 01:04 PM
guys above.... i was having probs transferring via usb>rs232 even tho i had a female ended rs232 lead. the problem is the type of usb lead. it needs to have a FDTI chipset board built into the lead/plug. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer as most of the ebay ones DONT WORK!! *you will also need a driver for your system to 'see' the lead and this should be supplied on cd or is easily available online. Hope this helps.

andybog
7th December, 2008, 01:22 PM
You do need a null modem cable, not a straight through, the send and receive cables cross so the send goes to receive and vice versa.
Are you trying to use a laptop to update your box and have a usb to serial adaptor? ive heard that them adaptors are problematic, i dont use one myself so cant help with that but, If you are try using a computer that has a serial port (most desktops have them). you dont need the box connected to the tv to do the flash.

magic_moments
7th December, 2008, 01:32 PM
You do need a null modem cable, not a straight through, the send and receive cables cross so the send goes to receive and vice versa.
Are you trying to use a laptop to update your box and have a usb to serial adaptor? ive heard that them adaptors are problematic, i dont use one myself so cant help with that but, If you are try using a computer that has a serial port (most desktops have them). you dont need the box connected to the tv to do the flash.

I used the USB > Serial Adaptor (with chipset) male output with a female > female extension > the RS232 input on boxes. Both my eurovox V and Red updated easily enough. i did have to check in device manager/ports that com port 1-4 was being used. Perhaps the Starview users need to do this also? I'm needing help tho on a friends eurox 'blue' or 'black' box as it wont take any of the updates yet doesnt appear to be a clone. weird one. hmmm

lesj
7th December, 2008, 01:43 PM
i run vista and ihave probs downloading if anything else running try closing everything else down xept gt rom

ramjet
7th December, 2008, 03:45 PM
i think the problem i have is that the cable i have and my box both have male pins on them so i had to buy a female adapter,, think this is where the problem lies

gonna go on ebay and buy a proper null modem cable (cheap enough) lol

should be up and running in a day or 2 thanks for all the great help and advice guys greatly appreciated

hodgey

that is definitely your problem as all you have bought is a usb to serial adapter and a gender bender , and so you have no crossover in the circuit

the 9 pin serial null modem cable will provide the crossover you need and you have no need for the gender changer at all , so once you have the correct lead you can try again using the lead and your usb adapter plugged together