PDA

View Full Version : Its a toss up!!

s23pho
26th January, 2011, 11:07 AM
ok so ive spent the last 2 weeks or so fixed to my computer researching. I finally narrowed it downt to me getting a openbox S9 HD and paying for somebody to fit the satellite dish for me. However just now i stumbled upon the kryptview box. Thing is i have cable installed already and so now i dont know which to choose from. I mean kryptview seems to be a one off payment, but not sure how long server will last, but S9 HD will cost roughly the same to set all up, but is HD and i suppose i can use it indefinately.
What would you guys suggest?? Thanks Steph

Shady
26th January, 2011, 11:09 AM
like football? go the sat route.
Also has the ability to gain more channels with bigger dish/motor in the future.
As you know, with cable, you're tied in to what vermin broadcast

s23pho
26th January, 2011, 11:45 AM
Umm nah I don't really follow football, all I really wanted was the sky movies all the knowledge channels, comedy, dramas etc. But the HD discovery nat geo and movies was why I was going down the SAT route, this is such a hard choice!

Shady
26th January, 2011, 11:47 AM
well as i say, sat is upgradeable, cable isnt.

s23pho
26th January, 2011, 12:14 PM
yeah that was my thought too, plus i hate having a HDTV with no HD inputs!! Thanks mate have a nice day

andy91
26th January, 2011, 04:27 PM
Once you been with Sat theres no going back!

Andy.

owenb
26th January, 2011, 04:58 PM
yep i used to be a die hard cable fan but had sat installed last feb and never looked back the choice is amazing if there is anything on tv u will get it with a dish and motor

s23pho
26th January, 2011, 10:56 PM
yeah im definately going down the satellite route actually, the only upside for the cable would of been the initial setup as i already have cable. However the fact that satellite will never die, unlinke cable boxes its such an easy choice!

Ansem
27th January, 2011, 12:05 AM
get yourself a dm800 or if you can stretch a bit maybe a vu+ duo, you wont regret it

satsid
27th January, 2011, 12:55 AM
ok so ive spent the last 2 weeks or so fixed to my computer researching. I finally narrowed it downt to me getting a openbox S9 HD and paying for somebody to fit the satellite dish for me. However just now i stumbled upon the kryptview box. Thing is i have cable installed already and so now i dont know which to choose from. I mean kryptview seems to be a one off payment, but not sure how long server will last, but S9 HD will cost roughly the same to set all up, but is HD and i suppose i can use it indefinately.
What would you guys suggest?? Thanks Steph

Also don't forget if your on someone else server thay can turn you off anytime.When watching tv by net this is a downfall in both satellite & cable now.

s23pho
27th January, 2011, 11:27 AM
I honestly can't afford to get a dm800 at the moment, don't think I really need it I'm literally just buying a box to watch TV I won't be tinkering about with it much, just gonna get an openbox s9.
I know servers can be pulled at any time but with satellite I can just join a new one, but with kryptview I'm stuck with the kryptview server!! Defo satellite route being followed now

owenb
27th January, 2011, 02:06 PM
yeah i think sat is a better way personally my motorised setup has become the tv of choice in our house even with the missus she enjoys switching through all the sats to see what channels we have lol

freck
27th January, 2011, 03:10 PM
Go for anothe receiver mate...that S9 is crap,breaks up on HD channels when heated plus give scrambled channel intermittantly.
Firmware is not really sorting these probs.....youll get what you pay for...remember that.
Its cheap for a reason,put an extra few quid towards a DM800 or the new Duolabs HD mini looks like a nice buy.
VU+ are big money but not for starting out on the sat scene.
At the end of the day the choice is yours,just giving my tuppence worth.
Freck

owenb
27th January, 2011, 03:27 PM
to be fair if u dont know a lot or dont want to tinker a spiderbox is a viable alternative my mate has one and is happy with it i have a vud duo and a dm800 and im over the moon with boht of mine

andy91
27th January, 2011, 03:31 PM
If your that hard up start with a Dm 500,you will get your money back.
Only thing it wont do is give you hd.
Probably the best box out there for value for money.

Andy.

owenb
27th January, 2011, 03:42 PM
yep totally agree with u mate dm500 is defo the best value for money if no hd requireed and a great learners box

s23pho
28th January, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have already ordered my S9 lol bit late now. I guess I'll just try it out if I'm not happy with it, I'll try sell it get a dreambox

mdt
28th January, 2011, 03:21 PM
my personal choice would be get yourself a arnet a780 for tv watching and a dm800hd for tinkering. ?300 for all the tv you could ever need. if your not bothered about hd or linux then a protek 9600ip will give you footy/movie/gen-ent and xxx for a 1 off fee with auto-updating software. the openbox is dodgy at best and is still a fta box without the line installed. regards mdt

owenb
28th January, 2011, 03:28 PM
yeah not sure if u know s23 but a openbox wont give u many channels at all mate

s23pho
28th January, 2011, 05:06 PM
it will with certain lines though right. over on the openbox forum, most people seem happy with them, i literally ordered it last night, im starting to worry now lol

mdt
28th January, 2011, 05:42 PM
it will with certain lines though right. over on the openbox forum, most people seem happy with them, i literally ordered it last night, im starting to worry now lol

there are alot of happy owners and alot of issues with sw although the teams seem to be addressing this from what ive read. dont worry to much m8 just enter your line and see how it performs. let us know how you get on, regards mdt

s23pho
28th January, 2011, 09:30 PM
Cheers mate yeah when I've set it up I'll come back and say how I'm finding it. As I'm a complete novice to all of this, I won't be able to compare but I'll know if it's good just for standard sly HD watching

mark8393
29th January, 2011, 12:13 AM

of course you will get as many channels as any other box, just depends on the config you get, so dont worry.

neil.o
29th January, 2011, 02:23 PM

you did right thing mate, going sat route.as for openbox ,well ive had 1 for 4/5 months now & i think its great. hd channels r as good as my mums sly hd .you will prob have few issues at first with rebooting,putting in stuff with usb etc ,etc but stick with it and read main openbox thread on this site and you will suss them all out.then in future you may want to go motorised and get other sats [about ?40]for motor .good luck and treat it as bit of a hobby,or as some on here a LOT of a hobby.dont forget lads on here are brilliant and will always help you. cheers