PDA

View Full Version : Any Plumbers?

badapple
26th January, 2011, 01:43 PM
Need some help as this is really p*ssing me off now.

The HOT water has stopped flowing in the bath tap.

The HOT & COLD water flows fine in ALL other taps.
(bathroom sink, kitchen)

Its been working fine & since yesterday only a trickle of hot wate is comming out of the bath tap.

its NOT the taps or the washers that have gone bad as Ive now replaced with new taps and its the same.

Something is stopping the flow just to the bath tap, just can't figure what it could be.

It can't be an air lock/block as this would stop water flowing to ALL taps, or would I be wrong?

Any ideas what I could try?

Thanks

Shady
26th January, 2011, 01:52 PM
air block all day long mate.
put a plastic bag over the hot tap in the bath and use your hand to form a seal around the spout. open the tap and if the water is trickling out leave it to fill the bag and then continue to run. you should start to hear gurgling noises. this method should push the air back up the vent pipe and away.
if the above technique does not work you will need to attach a hose to your kitchen cold tap (which should be at mains pressure) and attach the other end to a hot tap. open both taps and use the mains pressure to blast the air out.

badapple
26th January, 2011, 02:26 PM
Ok, thanks for that.
I'll go & try what you have suggested.

Thanks.

xant14
26th January, 2011, 02:30 PM
or it could be shite at the bottom of a bend near to the tap. I had a slow flowing something or other, radiator I think, and I left it open and whacked the pipes until the crud came out.

Shady
26th January, 2011, 04:05 PM
i can see that happening in a rad xant, but not a tap. maybe an outside tap

badapple
26th January, 2011, 04:50 PM
Well Ive tried the plastic bag trick and that didnt work.
So am going to try the hose trick tomorrow when I get the correct size hose to fit the taps.

Thanks

EDIT: Shit! only 1 mixer tap in kitchen!

mtv1
26th January, 2011, 04:57 PM
sorry m8 is it a mixer tap with a shower attachment coz if so they are known for this fault easier change the lot if separate taps get one of those rubber shower hoses and blow like ~~~~ lol it does work :)

badapple
26th January, 2011, 08:16 PM
or it could be shite at the bottom of a bend near to the tap. I had a slow flowing something or other, radiator I think, and I left it open and whacked the pipes until the crud came out.

This sounds logical as Ive had a new boiler & immersion heater tank fitted since last September, so crap from the old pipes may have collected during the install.
(some old pipes are still being used)

@mtv1, it is a mixer tap with shower attachment, but the mixer face come off so only the two pillars are left. If I can find a big enough pipe I will try your suggestion.

Thanks.

smoggy
26th January, 2011, 08:31 PM
you could try removing the shower head from the hose put the flow to mix , open the hot tap and try blowing down the shower hose

EDIT : or put on mix, open hot tap then gradually open cold tap whilst stopping the flow from the hose and hopefully it will force some water backwards down the hot pipe

trent1579
26th January, 2011, 08:58 PM
hi,
first check you have all isolation valves/stop cocks fully open and the gate valve on the hot water distribution pipe is fully open.
next try the air lock method if that fails,try fitting check valves to the cold/hot to the bath supply as close to the mixer tap as possible
those mixer taps with the shower attachment can be a real pain if your water pressure balance is off.check the packaging for minimum pressure requirements.

mrgasman
27th January, 2011, 12:27 AM
Open the offending tap and stick hoover over the end of the tap and seal it with your hands so as to draw the water down the pipework.

I use a wet/dry hoover and run it till water spews out but i suppose if you are very careful you may be able to get it flowing and remove the hoover nozzle before it draws water into your hoover. Will clear most airlocks this way just hope your taps not fcuked.

Good luck

xant14
27th January, 2011, 04:13 AM
I have a vax for sale lol.

reddevil157
28th January, 2011, 11:55 PM
When they were fitting your new boiler, they really should av flushed the system with a mild cleanser to get rid of all the shite. I say mild because you said you've old pipework.

mtv1
29th January, 2011, 12:02 AM
I have a vax for sale lol.

no selling on the forums lol :rulez:

badapple
29th January, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for advise guys, finally managed to resolve it.
It was install crap stuck in the pipes somewhere.

Got a big indrustrial foot pump from my m8, hooked it to the tap and pumped like ~~~~. Could hear the water bubbling in the tank, then quickly removed the pipe from the tap and water came gushing out along with some black & green crap which was causing the block.

(spent ?120 on new taps and it wosent even the old taps that were bad)lol

ELMIRADOR
7th February, 2012, 11:30 AM
Just tried the fix for no flow from hot tap to shower head when handle switched to shower. Put hand over tap turned on hot tap and presto air lock taken out and shower now works! Brilliant fix. Thanks.
Just about to buy new mixer unit for mega bucks until I read this thread from Google. The powers of the internet!!!

By the way, if you need cheering up, go to youtube and see Hot Hot Hot by Crossfire - Hot Hot Hot featuring Elephant Man

Regards,
ELMIRADOR :party :

super jumbe
10th February, 2012, 05:27 PM
I have a plumber and he works all day long for free as long as you keep providing him with few cans of lager while working he is happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

pipedope
11th February, 2012, 01:13 PM
I am a plumber and that is the way i work! But only for neighbours, that way you don't charge them and they don't keep calling you every five minutes.

happy_highlander
13th February, 2012, 12:10 AM
I am a plumber and that is the way i work! But only for neighbours, that way you don't charge them and they don't keep calling you every five minutes.

I used to work that way but got so ~~~~in busy I became an alcoholic so now I'm T total lol