PDA

View Full Version : How long for a repair of xp

mickydibble
26th January, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just doing a repair of xp instead of a format,how long douse this take thought it maybe not that long been on like 50 mins---the hard drive is 160gb does that make a difference,does it have to check the all drive there was/is quite a lot on it it's pretty much full

mickydibble
26th January, 2011, 09:34 PM
It's ok chaps apparently it can take several hours! And will restart when finished

mickydibble
27th January, 2011, 10:30 AM
It's bee on all night and left it running this morning does that sound right ? Confused I know it's a big hard drive but for ~~~~s sake

cunny
27th January, 2011, 01:50 PM
In recovery console with chkdsk /r to check the drive..

I never use this option, always a clean instal of any operating system

mickydibble
27th January, 2011, 04:20 PM
In recovery console with chkdsk /r to check the drive..

I never use this option, always a clean instal of any operating system

Was going to do a lean install but thought would try that option for a change wish I had not lol , anyway when I get home if it still doing that then I'll sack it off and do a fresh install

If it's still running though will it be safe to just switch off??? Any ideas guys?

mickydibble
27th January, 2011, 05:47 PM
Just got home and its still,still,still loading!!! Surely can't take that long??20hrs

roryson
27th January, 2011, 05:54 PM
Don't know the reason why your doing a repair of windows mate. I put a clean install every now and then to keep it running nice. I use norton save and restore to create a image of a clean install, and use that instead of reinstall xp all the time. Better than install all your software again and again...

cunny
27th January, 2011, 05:55 PM
No there is something a miss m8. ~~~~ it off. Do a clean instal, if everythin is backed up wipe the drive, if not, instal, backup then wipe the drive

Dallin
9th February, 2011, 11:28 AM
Just doing a repair of xp instead of a format,how long douse this take thought it maybe not that long been on like 50 mins---the hard drive is 160gb does that make a difference,does it have to check the all drive there was/is quite a lot on it it's pretty much full

You can make a backup of your data to any External hard drive then install a fresh copy of operating system...
While it normally takes about 45-50 minutes, either you re-install an operating system or repair...

jetdede
25th June, 2011, 07:31 PM
repair win xp depend on your HD size, specification of your computer...approximately 15 minutes for latest spesification (example if you use DDR3 SDRAM)