PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 Eclectrical Gremlins

singhl
7th December, 2008, 09:12 AM
I have a 2004 (newer shape) A6 3.0 tdi SE Quattro. A few days ago it showed "battery level low" in the tv screen, looked at the graph and it was at about 5%, but the car started fine, it has not moved it 3 days, the car is driven 150+ miles a day (mostly motorway). I have not had a chance to check battery voltages yet, but the car starts fine.

Also I have noticed that my keyless opening of doors does not work when I come to the car first thing in the morning (but will work after 20 mins of driving), the same goes for the interior lights, won't work on entry to the car, but fine after 20 mins of driving.

Is this the comfort module and damp/wet issue, if it is where is it located on my car?

Any help appreciated.

nilrem
7th December, 2008, 01:22 PM
It does sound battery/alternator related to me , especially the remote and lights not working after the car has been sat there over night , pop down your local garage and get them to load test the battery , it could be u have a cell down and batteries are more likely to fail in cold weather

Cheers

thirty3
7th December, 2008, 05:29 PM
have you tried putting a vag com. Or know someone with one.

singhl
8th December, 2008, 05:53 PM
The battery turned out to be fine, but in the boot attached to the -ve terminal is the battery monitor, unplugged this cleaned connections and bobs your uncle the battery suddenly showed as 80% charged, but the ESP warning came on.

Tried clearing with VAG com, but kept coming back, eventually tried driving the car and the battery came to 100% and the ESP light went off.

My findings are: the newer A6 has a battery monitor, which when it is erronously showing less power than the battery has, will start to shut things down to save power (eg lights keyless entry etc)... And this sets off other things as well (ESP etc), there is nothing wrong with these components other than the daft monitor thinking the battery is dieing (when it is not).

All error in vag com now cleared and stayed cleared.