PDA

View Full Version : debating linux

stuiow
31st January, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Been a computer user (windows) for many years.
Just got myself a VU+ duo box for my TV and i must admit, all this talk of linux is making me think, should i move from windows now.

What can anyone here recommend i use for my first linux platform?
Ubuntu?

I tried this the other week but it felt so sluggish, wondering if i need to do something to fix that.
PC is a quad core Q6600 4GB bugger.

I want my first linux experience to be a good one, so i dont get put off.

Many thanks,
Stuart

GastonJ
3rd February, 2011, 05:25 PM
It really depends what you want to do, but some of the more friendly ones that I know of are OpenSuse, Fedora, or Linux Mint. Some of those do a "live cd" that allow you to try it out first without installing anything in that they run of the CD/DVD. They are also capable of duel booting to allow you to boot up either Windows of Linux at any given time. That way you can try them out and see which one suits you, finally making the change to it fully when you're happy that all is ok. On top of that you could use VMware Server installed on Windows and install the various flavours of Linux in a virtual machine to try out, it's free and has no cost.

HTH

flyingpig
4th February, 2011, 09:50 PM
I would try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS not Ubuntu 10.10 - Ubuntu 10.04 is slick an not sluggish. I have tried 10.10 in the past and that was very sluggish.

Redhat and Fedora are probably the other best Linux OS's on the market.

soviet
4th February, 2011, 10:20 PM
I really enjoyed using linux when I had my netbook, as it let me dig deep into the system. I mainly used Mint and ArchLinux but unfortunately the kids were not happy with the system so its mainly windows. I still use debian for a certain things ;)

stuiow
4th February, 2011, 10:29 PM
I would try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS not Ubuntu 10.10 - Ubuntu 10.04 is slick an not sluggish. I have tried 10.10 in the past and that was very sluggish.

Redhat and Fedora are probably the other best Linux OS's on the market.

Ah this maybe what i experienced then, and it did put me off linux.
ALso, the WIFI stopping then loosing connection got very irratating.
Looking on the net, Ubuntu i think is the best way forward for me to start off with (10.04), then when i am happy with Linux, only then will i start looking else where.
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

necrobutcher
10th February, 2011, 05:01 PM
You can have a look on this too:
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. (http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major)

The differences are mostly about package managements, some people find RPM interesting and some other Debian, and so on...

Also it's about KDE and Gnome. Which in my opinion although KDE looks more polished but Gnome is just doing better. I personally had problem with KDE and converted to Gnome and ever since everything is going fine.

InF3sted
13th April, 2011, 09:58 AM
Every Linux is good in it's own way,u can install whatever distro u find interesting and then rearange it in your way,it's just what uwant from your distro,if you are newto linux then i would reccomend OpenSuse

Boss Au
23rd April, 2011, 03:02 AM
yes people, linux is good but every body nows WINDOWS is the best system operative

Mjolinor
23rd April, 2011, 03:55 AM
yes people, linux is good but every body nows WINDOWS is the best system operative

Yeah, right, and it obviously teaches you to speak English well too.

nush
24th April, 2011, 12:38 AM

best for what, getting slower by the day, collecting viruses, or maybe you just like spending loads for your software. I've not used ms windows for sometime now, linux for me wins hands down but if you are happy with windows that fine too but its not better its just a different choice.
nush

drawflex
24th April, 2011, 04:29 AM

What was it about linux you thought was good ? And in your subjective opinion, where did it fall short ? You can download more screensavers if that's your gripe !

I like it how you put it ...

WINDOWS = system operative
http://www.computing.co.uk/IMG/671/89671/call-centre-operative-male-crm-370x229.jpg?1259317866

LINUX = operating system
http://www.net-security.org/images/articles/matrix.jpg
'In time you'll learn how to read the code'

Yeah, right, and it obviously teaches you to speak English well too.
ROFL HARRIS :D:D:D:D

digitalkaosmember
26th April, 2011, 02:23 PM
for me, linux is only for my development system

neojared
29th April, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone,

Just got myself a VU+ duo box for my TV and i must admit, all this talk of linux is making me think, should i move from windows now.

Ubuntu?

I tried this the other week but it felt so sluggish, wondering if i need to do something to fix that.
PC is a quad core Q6600 4GB bugger.

I want my first linux experience to be a good one, so i dont get put off.

Many thanks,
Stuart

Ubuntu?

PC is a quad core Q6600 4GB bugger
:manutop:

cater50
24th June, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi ,

UBUNTU : nice and simple for newbies

Gentoo : Good but more complicated (depend what you're searching

Debian : for server, best (ubuntu is debian based)

TomCatonly1
6th July, 2011, 06:01 PM
I recommend Gentoo. I am using this distro from the beginning of my linux experience. Even from the installation one can learn more than on Ubuntu from years.

elsordo
7th July, 2011, 02:39 AM
I have used Windows for many years and encounter all kind of problems with virus and system crashes. Since I started using Express Linux a few months ago my Laptop seem more stable and there no issues. Linux is the way to go and I will never go back to Windows.