PDA

View Full Version : Best Sat-BoX for avarage Joe...

orky87
31st January, 2011, 10:36 PM
I recently bought a new TV, now to enjoy it a little more I have decided to get a sat-box. Paying for a TV license is one thing but to watch regular TV stuff and paying for it is something I cant get my head around.
Anyway I am not expecting premium channels by choosing to go this way nor am I considering to card-share at any time soon. Simply want to spend my money wise for this set up to last a few years.

I have no experience with receivers or dishes so this is where I hope to get your suggestions and/or recommendations.

Is motorized worth going for, also what about those kite looking (rectangular) shaped dishes, good? bad? waste of money? I see that dishes vary in sizes, what size is safe to buy considering a day of bad weather?

Need you any more info from me don't hesitate to ask...

Thanks in advanced.

daithi
31st January, 2011, 10:58 PM
id buy a dreambox and use it for the free channels
and if ya ever decide to card share ya can use it

i wouldn bother with a motor if i wasnt card sharing

and yal pick up a sky dish for free if ya look around
this can be used with a dreambox for recieving the free to air channels on 28.2

cheap dreambox customs might catch ya for a few extra quid http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dvb-s-standalone-digital-satellite-receiver-with-lan-port-rs232-yprpb-cvbs-spdif-50771

and a dish http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sky-Dish-Includes-Quad-LNB-Zone-2-/320647573227?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item4aa815aeeb

andy91
31st January, 2011, 11:02 PM
Get a Dreaambox 800hd if you can spare the extra cash over the Dreambox 500 which is a great box but only sd is the difference but if you have bundles i would have the Vu duo twin tuner.

Andy,

orky87
1st February, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, while dreambox offers everything I could want it's price tag is a bit steep for my liking at leas for the moment.
What about standard receivers something that will do the job, I cant argue on "you get what you pay for" but there has to be a margin on what is acceptable to buy and what to stay away from.

daithi
1st February, 2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, while dreambox offers everything I could want it's price tag is a bit steep for my liking at leas for the moment.
What about standard receivers something that will do the job, I cant argue on "you get what you pay for" but there has to be a margin on what is acceptable to buy and what to stay away from.

yal pay a hundred euro for any of those free to air sat boxes in ireland with a dish anyway

so id just buy a dreambox and dish like i posted its as cheap as yal get

all that dreambox will cost ya at most is 65 euro if customs catch it
ya still be setup for one hundred euro

orky87
1st February, 2011, 04:02 PM
I asked for advice and I got some now... Thanks for your recommendations fellows!

daithi
1st February, 2011, 04:18 PM
I asked for advice and I got some... Thanks for your recommendations fellows!

no hassle mate sure thats what were here for

rickindallastx
30th May, 2011, 07:54 PM
I recently bought a new TV, now to enjoy it a little more I have decided to get a sat-box. Paying for a TV license is one thing but to watch regular TV stuff and paying for it is something I cant get my head around.
Anyway I am not expecting premium channels by choosing to go this way nor am I considering to card-share at any time soon. Simply want to spend my money wise for this set up to last a few years.

I have no experience with receivers or dishes so this is where I hope to get your suggestions and/or recommendations.

Is motorized worth going for, also what about those kite looking (rectangular) shaped dishes, good? bad? waste of money? I see that dishes vary in sizes, what size is safe to buy considering a day of bad weather?

Need you any more info from me don't hesitate to ask...

Thanks in advanced.
One of the best things out there right now for TV is the ROKU (roku.com) ; get the most expensive one at about 100 but coupons exist for everthing. Then you can get a free month of netflix; There is FantasTIC support available now. You can also (for like 10$ or free) ad your own channel and stream from your computer wirelessly to your tv !! Works with old and new tv but the screen resolution is low on older tv due to tv hardware.

freck
1st June, 2011, 06:58 PM
Does this Roku work in Europe or is it limited to the US??
Freck

bugsy
25th June, 2011, 12:57 PM
Aldi doing a special at the moment,
HD sat box, dish, cable and all fixings 99 euros.
That's all right if you just want the free to air stuff.
Cheers,
bugsy