PDA

View Full Version : dm800 cannot initialize or format inernal hdd

needy
5th February, 2011, 09:52 PM
hi guys iv purchased a 2nd dm800 for a friend, i put a backup of my image on it works fine but i cant get the hdd to work, the one i put in mine worked straight away can anyone help

porter1
5th February, 2011, 11:31 PM
i formatted mine on pc before i put it in,use easeus partition master

needy
6th February, 2011, 12:37 PM
hi porter, have you got a tut for that, iv tried one called ubuntu followed the tutorial but still no joy

radio
6th February, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hi mate.

OK.

Do this

FTP to Var/Fstab, and look at the line in it in ref to the HDD.
There is prob a # in front.
In unix it means to turn off the HDD.
Fstab is the Unix file system table that controls how external devices function.
Tho the drive is internal, it is still connected by the Sata cable, so if is sata, or esata is still external.

Use the txt editor in DCC to edit the line, then FTB it back to the box, and reinitialise the HDD, if that is indeed ur issue.
U got my number bud.
txt me if u need more help/using easus

Cya...

needy
6th February, 2011, 03:54 PM
hi mate, i cant find fstab in var

satsmo
6th February, 2011, 03:58 PM
Look in /etc/

porter1
6th February, 2011, 04:00 PM
var/etc/fstab,he was on msn thats why radio jumped in to help ye needy,this was the problem also on mine when drive kept vanishing,cured it though

needy
6th February, 2011, 05:04 PM
cheers found it, so do i just delete the # on the line with hdd on it, then try the hole process again

porter1
6th February, 2011, 05:51 PM
ye edit,delete,save and exit,try again as radio put

simon 2003
23rd August, 2011, 01:01 PM
sorted thanks alot sorted my issues ,nice tip,removed hash and initialised straight away

newasiaguilt
2nd October, 2011, 05:48 AM
Can anyone shed light on this issue?

The situation: I attached a ext harddisk bout 320G. Under blue button... I can format and mount the harddisk under media/hdd and then seen as dev/sda1. But I cannot initialize the harddisk under menu button. When I try ti initialize I get failed.

So with this... I can do timeshift but I cannot record. Can anyone advise? :)

I'm using DM800HD.

newasiaguilt
2nd October, 2011, 07:48 AM
Ok! Got it working. But I used DCC and used FTP to create new folder movie into /media/hdd therefore becoming /media/hdd/movie.
So here's another question. Do I need to initialize the harddisk? Or is this no longer necessary cos it's working? :)

kdol
2nd October, 2011, 12:20 PM
No need to initialise since its working.

I would definitely add the following 2 lines to the bottom of the rcS file in etc/init.d
mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd
mkdir /media/hdd/movie

these should ensure that any recordings are retained if your disk is disconnected for any reason

newasiaguilt
3rd October, 2011, 12:53 AM
Alright thank you so much for your info and help.

Another question... I got it to record and all but the playback is pixelized and the sounds warbled. Can the reason be that it's external harddisk? Being... it's not powerful enough as the power is based on the usb. Should I get a 1tb harddisk instead that can be plugged in based on it's own power? Thus the playback is stablized? :)

lincsat
3rd October, 2011, 01:40 PM
Does the HDD have some backup or other software pre-installed. I'm guessing it's formatted in FAT32 and not a Linux system.

Maybe you could connect the HDD to your windows PC and remove the active partition from the HDD in Disk Management, then connect it back to your box and try to initialize again.

newasiaguilt
3rd October, 2011, 04:07 PM
Oh I formatted the harddisk using dreambox. Using 2x blue button, device manager and then there are two options. Mount and format. So I formatted and then mounted the harddisk to media/hdd. Then I created thru dcc media/hdd/movie. And I can record and playback. But like I said the movie was pixelized and garbled voices.