PDA

View Full Version : backing up image with telnet which settings get saved

mario123
7th February, 2011, 08:11 PM
ok i used the guide here to back up my image which is

To telnet, click START > RUN and type Telnet ip.address.of.dreambox
A command window will appear, enter username root and password dreambox.

To backup an image using Telnet

Telnet to the box and paste the following command:

Code: Check this link (http://mirrorchecker.com/linkchecker2.php?url=cat%20/dev/mtd/3%20%3E%20/tmp/backup.img)
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

FTP to the box and navigate to the /tmp
Here you will find the backup.img file.

i have a few questions

1/ will this save my motor postions for sats as i cant get all the channels of sats atomatic without fine motor movements which is very time consuming?

2/ will this save my all my bouquets? and sats as im using nabilosat darkstar 2 i had to change manually sats like 28.2 as it was seeing that as 28.4 and thor 0.8w also to 1west will it save this and be working when i reflash it?

3/ the normal nabilosat darkstar 2 image is 4.77mb and the back up i made is 7.75 is that normal it to be twice the size?

4/ is it safe to flash this image by telnet or is it more risky than using the normal nabilosat darkstar image?

Ansem
8th February, 2011, 02:10 AM
its a backup, everything is identical, just flash the image to next box using telnet :)

PaphosAL
8th February, 2011, 10:00 AM
3/ the normal nabilosat darkstar 2 image is 4.77mb and the back up i made is 7.75 is that normal it to be twice the size?

Perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about. ALL DM500 Flash w/o Bootloader backup images are 7.75MB in size, or to be more precise, 8,126,464 bytes. This applies no matter whether the image is Enigma or Neutrino based.

The much smaller size you've noticed on many release images is due to the fact that a new image compile for DM500 does not contain the mtd1 /var partition. This gets built during the very first boot after flashing, extracting the source files and folders for /var from the squashfs root /var_init folder.

We at Team-Commando think this setup sucks, so this is why we now release DM500S Commando 14 images only in Flash w/o Bootloader format, at the 7.75MB size. So you won't find a /var_init folder in our current releases. (We don't carry excess baggage, LOL!)

Cheers- AL :)

mario123
8th February, 2011, 07:18 PM
its a backup, everything is identical, just flash the image to next box using telnet :)

o rite thats cool i didnt think it would of saved
1/ save my motor postions for sats as i cant get all the channels of sats atomatic without fine motor movements which is very time consuming?

sweet

wolf3d
13th April, 2011, 12:58 PM
i checked this mtd dir and saw other files like 1 2 3 4 5 etc...
and the first question appered why exactly cat /dev/mtd/3
and not cat /dev/mtd/4 or other ?
thank u in advance

micflair
26th April, 2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry to jump in guys, after backing up using this way can you reflash via the web browser? Or do you have to restore via telnet?