PDA

View Full Version : vu+ solo

AlanDogg
9th February, 2011, 12:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I was looking at several recievers to upgrade to from my dm500s and was going to purchase the Duolabs QBox HD Mini Box but my provider says he doesnt support it (Big let down) But he recommened th VU+ Solo.

Whats your thoughts on this unit? Just want HD and the option of recording.

mo.p
9th February, 2011, 12:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I was looking at several recievers to upgrade to from my dm500s and was going to purchase the Duolabs QBox HD Mini Box but my provider says he doesnt support it (Big let down) But he recommened th VU+ Solo.

Whats your thoughts on this unit? Just want HD and the option of recording.

hi m8 have look from ?140 to170 DM800HD Pro with Rev M tuner,

owenb
9th February, 2011, 08:53 AM
just out of interest why wouldnt a "provider" support it?

Sat-Shop
9th February, 2011, 09:35 AM
Sounds to me like he's just not aware of it or what it can do and probably never seen one hence easier to say its not supported at a guess? I'm 100% sure it'll do what you need it to however the SOLO will also do what you require and very well so nothing wrong with that suggestion, but no reason that a Mini wouldn't either and far more besides. One thing I would add is please don't waste your money on a clone when you have the Mini at the price they are, far better spec./features and the genuine thing then why go with a clone which we all know can suffer from various problems and now with the Mini don't really even save any money! :)

AlanDogg
9th February, 2011, 09:50 AM
@Owenb & Sat-Shop

I emailed my server guy as i was having problems with my dm500S IE: Blanks screens on Encrypted channels which would eventually show (Though im now sure the issue was the server going offline and not at my end Alignment and signal strength was 92% with no bad data and showing all FTA channels) so i suggested updating my box (Which i want to do as the dm500s was just a starter for me) so i emailed him again about boxes etc.

Email Below

Hi ****,
I was looking at the boxes in the link you sent (Bit over my budget) with a lot of digging and speaking to people about the net etc i have finally settled on the following box
Duolabs QBOX Mini HD COMBO + linux set top box on eBay (end time 21-Feb-11 15:52:48 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Duolabs-QBOX-Mini-HD-COMBO-linux-set-top-box-/290525913277?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item43a4b1a0bd)

what do you think of these units? I want to go for this type with the twin tuner and going to get rid of my motor and settle with twin lmbs and one of these multi lnb bracket items - Get great deals on Consumer Electronics, LNBs items on eBay UK! (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=multi+lnb+bracket+&_sacat=0&_odkw=lmb&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313) that way i can have a static dish and setup one lmb on 28.2E and the other on 13.0E

I take it you support this?My server guy emailed me the following

Alan

Yes check with the seller it has back up software I was talking to ***** the other day the importer but we couldn't
Find the software to run it.
He/me sells it cheaper by the way as he imports them and sells them onto to ebay sellers.
Ask ****at **** to make sure it will work on emulators I know it will one day but right now I don't think it is fully
Supported
I'm sure we tried one the other day for a client of mine in Spain and gave up and sent him a dream800hd
So i checked it out and a few of you guys said it would work and someone gave me a cline example on how it would work so i sent details to him on how to set it up server side.

He email the following below.

Alan
As iexplained I would not suggest this box as we are not sure if it will run and up to now we havent had time to try it
We tried a couple of weeks ago and but couldn't find an image.suitable
He by the way **** is the main importer and back up wasn't that forthcoming.
Why not get the vu solo receiver this I know will run gbox & cccam
Thxso im either stuck with server guy with the VU+ Solo box he suggests or the Duo labs Qbox mini and another server (Which has been hard to find) either way im not really bother now, just want a working box that is stable.

thanks guys for your input much appreciated!

Sat-Shop
9th February, 2011, 10:04 AM
I think the problem here is both your 'provider' and the distributor he's spoken to don't really know about the product in question, there are two UK distributors for Duolabs now and I'm pleased to say we are the other one (as can be confirmed on their website should anyone like to check). I'll make it clear that we don't and won't get involved with card sharing and neither does this forum, so I won't go into it in great detail other than to say I can confirm without doubt that the Mini will do what you need it to do and far more. If you would like a Mini with twin tuner or single by all means get in touch, as offered on the another thread as well if anyone wants to see one working before they purchase they are most welcome to come over and see us, just ring to arrange, I should add though exactly the same goes for a SOLO, no problem in a demo of any of our products if required :)

owenb
9th February, 2011, 10:06 AM
form what i have read and from my understanding qbox mini can run cccam or through oscam so as im aware this is no problem for any server as acts the same as a normal dm800 am i correct?

Sat-Shop
9th February, 2011, 10:16 AM
I think the trouble is if I answer this fully I'm probably in danger of breaking both forum and my own self imposed rules on what we can talk about, so for me I will have to leave it as I will just say I can assure you it'll do what you need it to do.

It maybe looks like I jumped on the thread now just to try and sell something, that's not it though I just don't like to see when someone has been given a bit of mis-information so thought I'd jump in with the correct answer :)

owenb
9th February, 2011, 12:47 PM
yeah no worrries sat-shop i understand mate i tihnk the provider is bsing his client a little as qbox is more than capable than doing what he requires it too do the only thing e would have to do is research on how to do it after about 2 mins googlind qboxs config i was able to readily find the information available and think the qbox maybe my box to put in my bedroom

gsmtech
9th February, 2011, 02:03 PM
The Qbox Mini HD does look like a good reciever for the price especially as is can support twin tuners and runsd Enigma 2.

I have a few reservations about it though;

- Will the software support and devleopment be any good..theres lots of examples of "flop" recievers due to poor software and image support including the original Qbox, Azbox, Relook/mutant, ReelBox etc..

- The CPU seems low spec and underpowered for a HD E2 reciever..(266 MHz ST40 CPU SH4 Core. STi 7101 based), 128 meg RAM. Cannot use internal SATA hard disk.

- In comparison DM800HD recievers including clones, have a 300mhz Broadcom CPU and 256 Meg RAM (double what the Qbox mini has), support for internal SATA hard disk.

So basically the Qbox Mini HD is lower spec than Dm800HD and it's clones, and will definitley not have as much software or development support...i.e: Gemini, DreamElite, Merlin, OOzoon, Nabilo, NewNigma2 etc etc...

- Also Qbox Mini currently does not have the capibility to run as a CCcam server, even a cheap DM500 clone at 50 quid can do this. Probably a hardware/chipset compatibility issue in which case this function may never be available on the Qbox Mini

However if the software for it is stable and functions well with a 7 day EPG, a twin tuner E2 reciever for 200 quid cannot be beaten for the price at the minute...Most other competitiors cant even sell a single tuner box for this price ! I would defintiely "chance" it on QBox Mini rather than a .. VU SOLO or TM800HD both of which are over priced...at least the VU SOLO is well supported,...the TM800HD is just a nother "flop"..

AlanDogg
9th February, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hey Guys,
Emailed the conversation we have been having here to my server guy and he responded below,

Alan
If that's what he says then that is fine I just don't want to recommend something and when it doesn't do as you want
You are not happy.
I know the solo works so if I was yu this is the one I would choose but I will leave the decision to you
Entirely.
MNNN The Qbox Mini HD or VU SOLO or DM800Hd Clone (Desicions Decisions)

owenb
9th February, 2011, 02:28 PM
im exactly the same mate its a toss up for me also i must admit that screen on the qbox mini is attracting me like a magpie mate lol i do rely on my dm800 pros oled screen sometimes so the solo loses big marks from me due to no display however that being said its a proven box with loads of support and rock solid however i like being different to the norm so think im going to purchase a qbox as it does look brill

Sat-Shop
9th February, 2011, 02:30 PM
The Qbox Mini HD does look like a good reciever for the price especially as is can support twin tuners and runsd Enigma 2.

I have a few reservations about it though;

- Will the software support and devleopment be any good..theres lots of examples of "flop" recievers due to poor software and image support including the original Qbox, Azbox, Relook/mutant, ReelBox etc..

With the exception of the QBox none of those receivers where intended to run Enimga2 as the generic firmware, the Mini does and will out the box run Enigma2 out the box so to speak, and not only that will do so very well, development as well is already there, believe me when I say Duolabs have not made the mistakes they did with the original QBox in that they have gone through a long period of beta testing to ensure it works on release, not might do in the future, it is doing all it claims right now.

- The CPU seems low spec and underpowered for a HD E2 reciever..(266 MHz ST40 CPU SH4 Core. STi 7101 based), 128 meg RAM. Cannot use internal SATA hard disk.

- In comparison DM800HD recievers including clones, have a 300mhz Broadcom CPU and 256 Meg RAM (double what the Qbox mini has), support for internal SATA hard disk.

The trouble is as I see on a lot of forums people look at the processor speed and RAM alone and base the whole view on this. Sure this is not the fastest receiver boot up time wise, it's approx. 10 seconds slower than a DM800 takes, operation wise then it quite simply works, actual speed and RAM spec. aside it works and works well, that's what I use to judge these things on. There is no internal drive option nope, it's external USB. This is another good point though, the Mini is I beleive unique in that it runs the firmware from an external USB stick (you get a 2GB one supplied for this), it's not stored on an internal and limited flash chip inside the receiver, this has a great advantage in a number or respects.

So basically the Qbox Mini HD is lower spec than Dm800HD and it's clones, and will definitley not have as much software or development support...i.e: Gemini, DreamElite, Merlin, OOzoon, Nabilo, NewNigma2 etc etc...

In some respects it may appear lower spec. in many other respects it appears higher spec. depends on what aspect you choose to look at. Who's to say the development from other well known teams won't be there either, the source code for this has been fully released for anyone to have a go with, not a half hearted attempt like the Technomate TM800 for example. There's already some great support now with many popular plugins already ported over and some unique ones, and this will only get better.

However if the software for it is stable and functions well with a 7 day EPG, a twin tuner E2 reciever for 200 quid cannot be beaten for the price at the minute...Most other competitiors cant even sell a single tuner box for this price ! I would defintiely "chance" it on QBox Mini rather than a .. VU SOLO or TM800HD both of which are over priced...at least the VU SOLO is well supported,...the TM800HD is just a nother "flop"..

I think the difference is again the VU+ SOLO from day one of release did and continues to do exactly what it claims it will, I couldn't personally even include the TM800 in the same breath as we've seen how that's gone, so not sure I'd agree it's over priced as until the launch of the Mini what other choice has there been of a single tuner Enigma2 receiver that does what it claims to do, I don't include clones in this as in my opinion comparing a Chinese clone to a genuine thing (whatever the brand) is never a fair comparison, but each to their own on that one.

CrossEPG though I can confirm is working great on the Mini as is MyTube and some other popular plugins, and ones that are wanted but not already I'm sure can be looked at.

No better test though than coming and seeing one working, as I've offered before if anyone wants to come and see one in action then please feel free, I wouldn't be offering this if we were not entirely sure they did what I say they do :)

AlanDogg
9th February, 2011, 02:44 PM
@owenb Same here bud,

vu solo (bit pricey),

DM800hd (clone dvi output not hdmi though converter from dvi to hdmi adapter sorts that, and has a faster processor than the qbox)

Qbox seems to have alot more toys with it and yes the screen is somewhat hypnotic

Want to go with the Qbox but dont want it to be like an xbox (rrod - red ring of death) instead Qbox (dwos - doesnt work on server) lol

Think sat shop knows his stuff on this one so thats good enough for me, looks like im going to buy the Qbox mini as well dude

Thanks again guys for your input makes life easier than guessing whats behind a door and not knowing what to expect!

owenb
9th February, 2011, 02:51 PM
m8 i dont know who what ur server is however have a google of what i mentioned earlier and i cant see any reasonwhy the qbox couldnt work, i have a dm800 pro and am more than happy with it im after a eaasy to use box for the bedroom which doesnt require any fiddling with all i wanna do is set the thing and leave it as my dm800 is my tinkerers box lol if u like tinkering go vu solo mate loads of things available and loads of images from what i gather a qbox has many similar things also but not the choice of images (i gather the images that are produced by various people are first class however)

regards

owen

AlanDogg
9th February, 2011, 03:45 PM
m8 i dont know who what ur server is however have a google of what i mentioned earlier and i cant see any reasonwhy the qbox couldnt work, i have a dm800 pro and am more than happy with it im after a eaasy to use box for the bedroom which doesnt require any fiddling with all i wanna do is set the thing and leave it as my dm800 is my tinkerers box lol if u like tinkering go vu solo mate loads of things available and loads of images from what i gather a qbox has many similar things also but not the choice of images (i gather the images that are produced by various people are first class however)

regards

owen

Hi Owen,
Just looking for a box that works without the tinkering bud so the Duolabs Qbox HD Mini sounds the perfect box for me.

PS: Check you inbox

owenb
9th February, 2011, 04:59 PM
yeah im tending to go withte qbox too mate it just has the "i want" factor for me

gsmtech
9th February, 2011, 05:34 PM
What version of CCcam currently runs on the Qbox Mini, I know it doesnt run CCcam natively, uses some sort of custom client called RADAR...is this based on CCcam 2.1.3 , 2.1.4 or 2.2.1 or an older version ??

Still be intresting to see if any bigger development teams take up support for the box, considering it's not Broadcom so not as easy to directly port and use Dreambox code like VU have done (they use broadcom CPU). Also probably the reason why you cant directly use E2 plugins designed for the Dreambox...This is also apparently a major reason on why no beiiger teams are keen to support TM800HD with it;s relatively unknown NXP chipset and CPU..and probabably becasue TM wont pay them the relevant cash to write the code...:rolleyes:

I might well buy a Q Box Mini HD, all I need is CCcam client working properly, 7 day EPG, PVR timeshift etc..I'll be watching to see how it goes with the software for this box.

Im also guessing any media player capibility wont be able to do 1080p due to hardware limitation ? Same as DM800HD will only do 1080i max..

Also having firmware stored on external USB has it's advantages yes...like easily repalcable if the media fails, or doesnt waste internal box resources...But transfer rate to USB is also slow which affects bootup time.

Also recording PVR transfer rate will also be slower in comparison to SATA.

owenb
9th February, 2011, 05:38 PM
2.2.1 i believe, just because big teams dont support a box mate doesnt mean its good the tm800 is a perfect example google the problems people have with them and u will find out mate, for me im going to take the leap

Sat-Shop
9th February, 2011, 06:45 PM
Just to be clear it doesn't run ANY version of CCcam, is does run the full version of OScam (far more powerful than CCcam) and also Radar which is unique to the Qbox (and again has some very interesting options). Either of these will 'talk' to CCcam no problem at all and that includes right up to the latest version.

owenb
9th February, 2011, 06:46 PM
yes well put sat i ment to say compat with cccam 2.2.1 i must admit i think im sold on this qbox

Sat-Shop
9th February, 2011, 06:50 PM
I might well buy a Q Box Mini HD, all I need is CCcam client working properly, 7 day EPG, PVR timeshift etc..I'll be watching to see how it goes with the software for this box.

No need to wait around then, if they are your requirements it will do all of those three things right now, today, no problem! :)

gsmtech
10th February, 2011, 11:08 AM
2.2.1 i believe, just because big teams dont support a box mate doesnt mean its good the tm800 is a perfect example google the problems people have with them and u will find out mate, for me im going to take the leap

I disagree...some boxes are good ONLY because big teams support them and code good software.

Dream are perfect examples of this, DM500 clones are still going because of the images availablity and software support not because they have superior hardware, DM800HD's are not necceasrily better hardware than other boxes on the market..again the images and software support is what makes the reciever images like DreamElite, Gemini, OOzoon, Merlin etc...

So good hardware + crap software/no good development teams support = FLOP. like Azbox, original Qbox, TM800HD. If say PLI, Gemini, Nabilo...suddenly produced a quality TM800HD image..this reciever would suddenly go from "Flop" to good.

Im currently selling one of my DM800HD clones...Qbox Mini might be purchased with the cash once it sells.

owenb
10th February, 2011, 11:15 AM
my point is mate there are available images for the qbox just becausae there not done by the big boys u mention doesnt make them any worse it just makes them different im in the same boat as u 9 i have a dm800hd and im going to get the qbox as my second box

AlanDogg
10th February, 2011, 11:41 AM
Defo going for a Qbox next week when i get paid

AlanDogg
11th February, 2011, 03:25 PM
Purchased Qbox mini today (In your face owenb lol Only Joking!) Now I will stalk my local postie armed with an lnb and sat dish until he surrenders the goods.

:viking:

owenb
12th February, 2011, 07:35 PM
nice one mate got in there before me u sod lol

na good on ya, post a review when u receive it mate will be interested to see what u think of it

(pm me if u need help on setup)

AlanDogg
12th February, 2011, 07:53 PM
No probs bud will let you know how i get on. Just installed my second line and ordered twin lnb last night (Box was posted friday). Keeping motor as suggested no longer going static. Will pm u if i run into any problems with setup which I probably will.

Thanks again bud you have been a great help both yourself and Sat-shop!

owenb
12th February, 2011, 08:09 PM
no wories mate anyime look forward to the review and hearing from ya