PDA

View Full Version : openbox s9 no channels. please help

kingtj64
11th February, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hi,

got one of these this morning and i'am going insane.
its not finding any channels. i have an old sly dish which is i use with a freesat hd box which works perectly. but the signal on the openbox is poor. streght 45% quality 5%
but on the freesat box there both around 90%.

i take it i'am correct in that both sly and freesat use 28.2 ?

please help

thanks

privatesryan
11th February, 2011, 10:47 PM
try tinkering with lnb settings in antena setting in the menu, my humax works fine , most of the 'v' channels do not show or work durning a scan, 50050 works for me, still not getting all, ordered an inline sat amp, read on a post that it works/helps

kingtj64
12th February, 2011, 05:22 PM
UPDATE

All working now. :party :

Had to connect only 1 feed from lnb.
That fixed the signal strength but now means no freesat hd in the bedroom.
But i'll get that sorted.

father ted
12th February, 2011, 05:24 PM
UPDATE

All working now. :party :

Had to connect only 1 feed from lnb.
That fixed the signal strength but now means no freesat hd in the bedroom.
But i'll get that sorted.

is it a single lnb?if so add a double lnb instead of the single one or even a tri lnb

kingtj64
12th February, 2011, 10:19 PM
no its a quad lnb but openbox only gets a good signal when only 1 is used.

will mess with it later in the week

freesat hd box lost its connection as soon as i connected the openbox.

did manage to get them both working together when i tested with just 1 (openbox) then added another (freesat)
but when i install everything where it belongs under the tv downstairs (tested upstairs for ease) the openbox would only work on its own.
but as i said i'll tackle that later, was just glad to get the openbox working.

dell_xps
12th February, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hi m8, I thought the openbox had only 1 input, the other is an output to the loop back to your sly box ?

kondor10001
12th February, 2011, 11:07 PM
Great news that it works.

From what I am making it out from reading various threads this sounds to me like the reciever is having problems with interference.

I do not think it is a problem with adjacent channels causing the interference, if that was the case I do not think people would have so much success with just adding a small amplifier.

My guess would have to be it was a problem with some electrical interference which the reciever has a problem filtering out. If this is the case then you will probably find good results installing a ferrite ring, or one of those snap on ferrite cores. These work like a small transformer, and transform some of the interference out without reducing the actual signal. For those that are interested in the technicallities the signal from the dish has a live and an earth, they are different signals. The interference though appears the same on both the live and the earth. The Ferrite core uses transformation to make the interference on the live and the earth cancel each other out.

Now if I am right and these recievers are prone to this interference then I will be able to test this out during the week when my own box arrives. Basically I will cause a shed load of interference whilst trying various filteration methods on the coax cable to see if there is some improvment.

Obviously, if someone happens to have a ferrte ring of some sort lying around they might wish to try it out first. It s probably not worth buying one special until someone has tested this out, but in saying that they can only help even though you might never notice the good they do.

For those that are using inline amps, a ferrite ring would go between the dish and the amp, at the amp end, to filter out interference before the signal gets amplified.

That took a lot more typing than I thought it would lol.