PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever worked with fridges ?????

Saltire
12th February, 2011, 11:29 PM
this is starting to get right on my mellons, had another guy out from hotpoint today who said my fridge is working fine when i argued its not, i have got so infatuated with this over the past year or two that i have bought 6 thermometers for the fridge, really getting to me it is !

According to all my thermometers the tempreature in the fridge is always too high, so i have to turn up the gauge to nearly maximum sometimes to get the temps dont close to 0 to 5c (i keep my beer at the bottom to keep it cold, lol), anything above 5c can cause food to go off quickly, i do know that much.

its one of these big fridge/freezers, only runs on one motor, not two seperate ones, wish it did, and i know the fridge works from the cold air coming from the fans etc and its in combination with the freezer, i know all that crap, but my fridge is still running to warm for my liking and i have to turn it up and after a few engineers have been out and most agreed with me something isnt right you always get one azzole that has to say no its fine and that stops me getting a replacement or a repair for that matter

Anyway, I have attached pictures of the types of thermometers i have and i'm wondering if anyone knows of fridge thermometers that are accurate really good ones so as i can shaft this hotpoint mob, cause i still believe i'm right and they are wrong.

I have two of the digital ones, two of the dial type ones which i find best, one shitty one from betterware and the other big long one is actually one of those that comes out its sleeve, its a spike you can put in food or liquid, in the picture it has its sleeve on.

Some of you may think i'm crazy but really this is driving me crazy as some of the hotpoint guys actually have agreed theres something wrong but done nothing, they just said they will send another guy out with more equipment and its those ~~~~ers that say the thing is fine

NEVER in my life would i buy a hotpoint appliance again and i wouldnt recommend anyone else to either, thats just my opinion, ohh and by the way hotpoint is also own Indesit,cannon,creda,ariston, and i believe another few too, so find out first who actually makes your appliance before buying it is my advice, my hotpoint washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher have all broke down several times too

Anyway, the thermometers, thats the question, whats a really spot on one to buy, please only people answer that do know about these sort of things, thanks a lot guys.

p.s,
the engineers said all my thermometers arent worth a ~~~~ and told me to bin them.

Meat-Head
12th February, 2011, 11:46 PM
a) posted in wrong section
b) i have a hotpoint ffa71 - in glacier white, live on own here in Meat-City
OFF TOPIC:-

6 litres of milk lasts me well past sell by/use by date.

c) Happy with my hotpoint, only brought it because it said "Made in Great Britain"
otherwise would have purchased by price!

Perhaps you could stick your temp sensors in boiling water 100 deg c

and/or put them in some kind of 'clean' bag and ask local takeaway to store them in their fridge for a few hours.

daithi
12th February, 2011, 11:51 PM
just use a mercury one
there bang on

not an expert on fridges but covered it in college
the compressor probably isnt functioning right

but can be from a variety of things like the thermometer in the fridge been faulty the thermometer acts the same way as a thermocouple
when it hot it curls creating a connection allowing the compressor to turn on
and when it gets cold enough it straightens out and turns off the compressor the same way as turning a light on and off only this is automatic

or not enough pressure in the compressor to compress the gas in system to function properly

or else the seal on the door is not sealing properly and letting out the cold

Saltire
13th February, 2011, 12:10 AM
just use a mercury one
there bang on

not an expert on fridges but covered it in college
the compressor probably isnt functioning right

but can be from a variety of things like the thermometer in the fridge been faulty the thermometer acts the same way as a thermocouple
when it hot it curls creating a connection allowing the compressor to turn on
and when it gets cold enough it straightens out and turns off the compressor the same way as turning a light on and off only this is automatic

or not enough pressure in the compressor to compress the gas in system to function properly

or else the seal on the door is not sealing properly and letting out the cold

doors seals and all that are fine mate, had a look for mercury thermometers but they all seem to be mercury free now :(

daithi
13th February, 2011, 12:13 AM
try the mercury free one then
or if ya no someone working in a hospital they might get the lend of one for ya

Saltire
13th February, 2011, 12:13 AM
a) posted in wrong section
b) i have a hotpoint ffa71 - in glacier white, live on own here in Meat-City
OFF TOPIC:-

6 litres of milk lasts me well past sell by/use by date.

c) Happy with my hotpoint, only brought it because it said "Made in Great Britain"
otherwise would have purchased by price!

Perhaps you could stick your temp sensors in boiling water 100 deg c

and/or put them in some kind of 'clean' bag and ask local takeaway to store them in their fridge for a few hours.

can an admin or mod put this thread in the correct section, i couldnt see a section that covers this type of topic. thanks

cactikid
13th February, 2011, 12:22 AM
great another crap hotpoint unit lol,guess what i bought a fridge freezer also and fridge is up to max setting trying to keep juices and milk cold,now the best bit in freezer if you remove the drawers and look at the elements some are grey as not freezing and others are white,its a gassing issue and not repairable,guess what 2 service engineers said it was ok:cobblers:

Saltire
13th February, 2011, 12:46 AM
great another crap hotpoint unit lol,guess what i bought a fridge freezer also and fridge is up to max setting trying to keep juices and milk cold,now the best bit in freezer if you remove the drawers and look at the elements some are grey as not freezing and others are white,its a gassing issue and not repairable,guess what 2 service engineers said it was ok:cobblers:

ye, hotpoint and the rest of the brands they own/make are crap, mines is relativley new as well, only 2 years old, its this one here, the Hotpoint FF40P Polar Fridges White >>>> Hotpoint FF40P Polar Fridges White - Reviews, Prices and Discount Codes (http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/product/hotpoint-ff40p-polar-white-fridges/42225958.html)

deniedcorpse
13th February, 2011, 12:51 AM
ok, this is not post related (well, kinda) but super nice avatar Saltire... wow, and my wife likes it too!

daithi
13th February, 2011, 12:59 AM
ok, this is not post related (well, kinda) but super nice avatar Saltire... wow, and my wife likes it too!

i thought the same when i saw it a while ago

chroma
13th February, 2011, 01:26 AM
Give a scientist a thermometer and he will tell you the temperature of anything.
Give a scientist two thermometers and he'll be confused.
Calibration isnt all that straight forward.

Water boils at 100c AT SEA LEVEL with perfect air pressure getting these conditions is hit and miss so no two thermometers report exactly the same...

Temperatures need to be below 8c for refrigeration (i aim for well under 5 say 3c) and freezers should be under -18c i aim for -22c at all times.

Print off a spread sheet and do two checks a day with a single decent thermometer either alcohol or mercury. i dont rate digitals as there's no way of knowing if there even remotely accurate, molecular shrinkage is a known and well recorded phenomenon so its easier to get an accurate result.
Give it a couple of weeks of making records and call the engineer back out and say HA! there you go numbnuts get it sorted.
If there's a refusal phone up head office and tell them you'll go public, ask them if they can afford the bad publicity during a recession!

cactikid
13th February, 2011, 01:30 AM
my one only went into new kitchen around 3 months ago,lol getting another replacement one,hope that works lol.
WHIRLPOOL ART 471/A+ Integrated Fridge Freezer | Kitchen Science (http://www.kitchenscience.co.uk/fridges_and_freezers/fridge_freezers/integrated_fridge_freezers/whirlpool_art_471_a.html?cm_mmc=Pricegrabber-_-Feed-_-Integrated_Fridge_Freezers-_-573884&_%24ja=tsid:6105|cc:0|prd:573884|cat:Fridges+And+F reezers+%3E+Fridge+Freezers+%3E+Integrated+Fridge+ Freezers)

forgot to mention a friend bought 3 units and 2 dont work and the name was whirlpool,i forgot to mention 1st tecky measured temp by wire in fridge,the 2nd with a digital temp gun and got readings,small claims court sounds good also.

Grizz
13th February, 2011, 01:34 AM
get all your stats together as chroma says, log all unhelpful visits and then off to small claim court for you. they'll either replace your fridge before hand or the judge will

Saltire
13th February, 2011, 02:29 AM
but how can i when i have these dicks coming out and seemingly testing the thing and saying its ok, i would imagine the engineers report says it all, and who knows, maybe my thermometers are shit, i dunno, i cant get a mercury one, i think they have all been replaced with red stuff instead of mercury, i was looking about the internet and thats all i can find when i search for mercury thermometers, also remember it has to be able to read at least from -40 to + 20c or summit like that.

Grizz
13th February, 2011, 02:56 AM
but also document the fact that some of the hotpoint guys agreed with you that something was wrong. i dont think the small claims needs the kind of proof a normal court does. unlikely that hotpoint will send a rep anyway and they will just lose by default

Meat-Head
13th February, 2011, 03:00 AM
but how can i when i have these dicks coming out and seemingly testing the thing and saying its ok,

can you cantact the maker and ask for how long stuff should last.

e.g. 1 pint of milk at setting 1 = 1 week say
cheese setting 3 = 4 weeks

then ask the makers of milk cheese etc what they say.

download some see how takes to go off.

if you can upload 1/2 the chheesse to a friends fridge for a reference point

Saltire
14th February, 2011, 03:34 AM
the point is though, the thing has 5 years insurance on it, so i dont need to claim them if you know what i mean, just need them to do thier job.

what is it with them, are they scared to get the screwdrivers etc out, not paid enough or what, i dont ~~~~in know man, drivin me nutz.

gmb45
14th February, 2011, 07:07 AM
if you think its not working right might be worth a visit to trading standards for some advice. phone hotpoint up first and tell the ~~~~ers your going to trading standards and see what they say, im sure they wouldnt want them on their case.

Saltire
15th February, 2011, 01:52 AM
i have ordered one of those mercury thermometers that people are saying are the best, although its not actually mercury i dont think, maybe for safety reasons they put new stuff in rather than mercury, i dunno.

i could threaten them with trading standards but because theres been a couple of thier engineers test it and say its fine i dont think i would stand a chance, thats why i'm getting a better thermometer like people have suggested, at least then i will know if i do have the correct readings, for all i know the 6 thermometers i have all might be not worth a ~~~~ according to the engineers, so we shall see in a few days when the new one comes.

Grizz
15th February, 2011, 02:47 AM
As a matter of interest, if you throw your 6 theremometers into the fridge together do they all give the same reading?

Also has the fridge plenty ventilation around it? if its built in maybe cutting a vent above it at the top of the unit(out of view) might help it run more efficiently.

Saltire
15th February, 2011, 03:22 AM
As a matter of interest, if you throw your 6 theremometers into the fridge together do they all give the same reading?

Also has the fridge plenty ventilation around it? if its built in maybe cutting a vent above it at the top of the unit(out of view) might help it run more efficiently.

they give similar readings but a few degree's different, so i dont know whats right and what wrong.

theres plenty ventalation, its not boxed in etc.

matrixabc
9th June, 2011, 07:48 PM
I had a duff hotpoint the pipe from the freezer to the fiidge kept freezing up it blows the cool air from the frezer up to the fridge , if it bloks it will warm up, if i remember there is also a flap which regulates the temprature does that work?

other option would be to get an independent engineer in to give you a report ? shouldent cost to much.

willywonker2010
10th June, 2011, 03:20 AM
saltir
what a luvly arse
on your avatar
wow

Kalipo
10th June, 2011, 05:20 PM
Do as matrixabc says, get an independant engineer to visit and give his report..

Get a full receipt for his work. if he does find a fault. contact the insurance and tell them the results etc.

You can then claim back the cost of the engineer once sorted..

If not file a claim with small claims for damages and loss of produce.. (short life due to incorrect temp)..

Small claim will cost you about ?75.

I've got a claim in atm with barclaycard for damages and SOB can claim for tort of tresspass for the same company lol :).. it works believe me :).