PDA

View Full Version : microwave repair

zaccarias
14th February, 2011, 03:21 AM
I have to repair my microwave plate, it is safe to disassembled?:dong:

bilsat
14th February, 2011, 07:47 AM
DO NOT DISMANTLE THE MICROWAVE, IT CAN KILL!
Inside the microwave there is a large capacitor and if it's bleed resistor has gone open circuit then the charge in it can KILL. When we repaired them at work the first thing to do was short the capacitor with a large lead with a bleed resistor in it then short it out while working on it, for the cost of a replacement Microwave it's not worth it......
When one of my mates went to work for a company repairing Microwaves he asked how the vacancy had occured and the answer was that the previous engineer hadn't followed the above rules!

jcgrumbles
16th February, 2011, 12:41 PM
bilsats right mate,i will muck around with most things but not micros,if your desperate get the wife to have a look at it...

cactikid
16th February, 2011, 09:34 PM
thats a shocking thing lol

Meat-Head
17th February, 2011, 09:11 PM
Inside the microwave there is a large capacitor and if it's bleed resistor has gone open circuit then the charge in it can KILL.

1) only kill you once
2) susspose it could blow a finger to two off
3) only 6000 volts or so.

OFF TOPIC:-

When i was younger, so much younger than today, took a tv apart, was turned off for 6 months, the is/was a capacitor, even for a young healty teenage dirtbag, didn't go near a telly for a while!

rixameib
30th May, 2011, 06:36 PM
You can open the microwave.
But after that, find the biiiiggg capacitor. You can discharge these things making a short circuit with a screwdriver. USE PROTECTION!!!

After that, you can search the problem.

Charge capacitor rules!!!! XD

Meat-Head
30th May, 2011, 06:42 PM
You can discharge these things making a short circuit with a screwdriver. USE PROTECTION!!!

Charge capacitor rules!!!! XD

:stupid:
there is a CONFIRMED RUMOR that clearly states you can blow a capacitoer shoerting it out - put a few bulbs in series on it, then a neon afterwards

chroma
1st June, 2011, 04:37 AM
Inside the microwave there is a large capacitor and if it's bleed resistor has gone open circuit then the charge in it can KILL. When we repaired them at work the first thing to do was short the capacitor with a large lead with a bleed resistor in it then short it out while working on it, for the cost of a replacement Microwave it's not worth it......
When one of my mates went to work for a company repairing Microwaves he asked how the vacancy had occured and the answer was that the previous engineer hadn't followed the above rules!

Just out of interest what rating are the caps usually?
I'm looking for something massive for... well its best not to ask but suffice to say its a component I'm having a hard time tracking down within budget.
Really dont want to go down the road of stringing a few smaller ones in series to up the voltage to 20 odd k

Meat-Head
1st June, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm looking for something massive for... well its best not to ask but suffice to say its a component I'm having a hard time tracking down within budget.
Really dont want to go down the road of stringing a few smaller ones in series to up the voltage to 20 odd k

:roflmao:Homemade Tesla Coil (http://www.instructables.com/id/My-Homemade-Tesla-Coil/:roflmao:)

mate made one in his parents garage, INSTANT airfreshner, MASSIVE cracking noise - awesome

chroma
1st June, 2011, 01:29 PM
:roflmao:Homemade Tesla Coil (http://www.instructables.com/id/My-Homemade-Tesla-Coil/:roflmao:)

mate made one in his parents garage, INSTANT airfreshner, MASSIVE cracking noise - awesome

That's pretty much what im aiming for, the problem is the caps, if i run a few in series it will alter the resonance and id need to piss around with windings and spark gaps for a week till i get the thing tuned.

A single big cap seems ideal, Ive already got my hands on a beefy transformer.

Can think of no better way to keep kids off my lawn and cats from shitting on it ;)

Meat-Head
1st June, 2011, 04:48 PM
Can think of no better way to keep kids off my lawn and cats from shitting on it ;)

Before you ~~~~ around like that

1) Ditch your wireless inteerner- wire direct to pc - so you can enjoy DK still
2) When you are bored and finished with it, attatch it to the Polish naybours dish, see if you can fry the othere dishes in the street with it?

chroma
1st June, 2011, 07:50 PM
Before you ~~~~ around like that

1) Ditch your wireless inteerner- wire direct to pc - so you can enjoy DK still
2) When you are bored and finished with it, attatch it to the Polish naybours dish, see if you can fry the othere dishes in the street with it?

Already cabled up, ran a house full of twin foiled and shielded twisted pair CAT6e ;)
the neighbors however all use wifi, i know cause ive leeched their connections :)