PDA

View Full Version : Morrisons cuts diesel to below ?1

Devilfish
8th December, 2008, 11:48 AM
Supermarket giant Morrisons has slashed the cost of diesel to below the ?1-a-litre mark in a move likely to intensify the forecourt price war.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/pressass/20081208/08/1202466083-morrisons-cuts-diesel-below-1.jpg#200,200

The retailer said that all its pumps will be selling diesel at 99.9p a litre - down by up to 5p on the weekend and a drop of 34p from its July high.

Motoring group AA welcomed the news, predicting that other retailers would now follow suit.

Supermarkets have been leading the way in cutting the price of petrol, with Morrisons being the first to drop unleaded below the ?1-a-litre mark in October and under 90p last month.

Monday's announcement sees the chain knocking the price of diesel down by between 3p and 5p on its forecourts across the UK.

Marc Bolland, chief executive of Morrisons, said: "Morrisons is taking the lead again in helping motorists.

"This time, we are the first in the UK to sell diesel for less than ?1 a litre. We are absolutely committed to giving the strongest value for our growing number of customers."

The move means that drivers of a typical diesel family car will be more than ?18 better off on a full tank of fuel than they were in July.

Paul Watters, head of public affairs at the AA, said: "At the start of the week it is good news. It is going to make some big savings for diesel drivers that shop at Morrisons. It is not surprising because the price of oil has come down. It has taken a while for it to reflect at the pumps.

"We are delighted that Morrisons have done this. It will keep the price war going, we should see others following Morrisons."

magic_moments
8th December, 2008, 12:05 PM
They are also selling Ambrosia Devon Custard at 59p and B.O.G.O.F so its sweetness all over. Well done Morrisons. :)

P.s. Have you noticed the checkout girls are much friendlier there too! hahaha

dogbum
8th December, 2008, 04:57 PM
Tesco down to 99.9 too .... not soon enough though

omen666
9th December, 2008, 06:15 PM
very good news for the motorist, still it would be nice if prices fell some more.

McMav
10th December, 2008, 04:09 PM
Saisburys at braehead was 99.9p yesterday aswell :D

BoomBoom
10th December, 2008, 04:19 PM
Can confirm Morrisons i nearly crashed the car for looking at the price LMAO

Will be feuling up tonight

khublaikhan
10th December, 2008, 10:12 PM
When will the Utility companies drop their rip off prices??

djmaxijazz
12th December, 2008, 06:04 PM
It just goes to show that the whole thing is a sham. This time 6 months ago, oil was at $150 per barrel. now its less than half that. And its not as if the demand is less now than it was then. We are being dictated to. I gaurentee that when this credit crunch is over the oil shoots back up...... makes me sick

cablefreejunkie
11th January, 2011, 09:53 PM
Supermarket giant Morrisons has slashed the cost of diesel to below the ?1-a-litre mark in a move likely to intensify the forecourt price war.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/pressass/20081208/08/1202466083-morrisons-cuts-diesel-below-1.jpg#200,200

The retailer said that all its pumps will be selling diesel at 99.9p a litre - down by up to 5p on the weekend and a drop of 34p from its July high.

Motoring group AA welcomed the news, predicting that other retailers would now follow suit.

Supermarkets have been leading the way in cutting the price of petrol, with Morrisons being the first to drop unleaded below the ?1-a-litre mark in October and under 90p last month.

Monday's announcement sees the chain knocking the price of diesel down by between 3p and 5p on its forecourts across the UK.

Marc Bolland, chief executive of Morrisons, said: "Morrisons is taking the lead again in helping motorists.

"This time, we are the first in the UK to sell diesel for less than ?1 a litre. We are absolutely committed to giving the strongest value for our growing number of customers."

The move means that drivers of a typical diesel family car will be more than ?18 better off on a full tank of fuel than they were in July.

Paul Watters, head of public affairs at the AA, said: "At the start of the week it is good news. It is going to make some big savings for diesel drivers that shop at Morrisons. It is not surprising because the price of oil has come down. It has taken a while for it to reflect at the pumps.

"We are delighted that Morrisons have done this. It will keep the price war going, we should see others following Morrisons."
quite interesting this as we are now 2.5 years down the line and its now at ?1.30 plus still not as dear as it was in july 08
personally i dont remember it being that high ever but obviously it was,,lets hope they see sense and cut it down again

Stanton
11th January, 2011, 10:36 PM
quite interesting this as we are now 2.5 years down the line and its now at ?1.30 plus still not as dear as it was in july 08
personally i dont remember it being that high ever but obviously it was,,lets hope they see sense and cut it down again

Makes me vomit....

Something needs to be done about this.

cablefreejunkie
14th January, 2011, 02:23 PM
Makes me vomit....

Something needs to be done about this.

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke: