PDA

View Full Version : Box says copy on front display

Dub12Dave
18th February, 2011, 07:02 PM
Ok so I had a few hours spare today and I decided to sort out the channels on my new box into favourites etc, I got the best part of the way through when I came to sky news hd and as soon as I pressed on this channel the box went off and I just thought that it was rebooting, on the front panel is said.... on....boot....and then copy and that is where it got stuck. So after a few minutes I took out the power cable and all the box said was ....on. so after a quick google I seen that I had to use null modem cable and try to reflash using openbox upgrade loader, all this has done is brought it back to say on....boot.... and now copy, and this is where I am stuck does anybody have any ideas that I can try next please, any help would great, Thanks

mept1
18th February, 2011, 07:39 PM
Taken from another forum

apparently this can be caused by installing the Firmware, Dump or Misc files incorrectly, if for example you install new firmware or files without first removing the old one, it can on occasions, depending upon the size and file being installed become to large for the allocated space assigned for software updates, and as parts of the previous file was not removed, it will take up a portion of the allotted space required by the new update, as certain elements or parts of the installation can then end up overwriting, and damaging the bootloader, which will then give the Clone error message, as the software has corrupted the bootloader by overflow.

Try contacting your supplier, and see if he can send you a loader and the required bootloader software [most companys have a loader for re-installing the bootloader software, but they prefer not to make them public downloads] and you should be able to fix the problem yourself, that is if it is a bootloader problem.

Dub12Dave
18th February, 2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the reply mept1 contacting my supplier is not an option for me as I had a lot of hassle getting this box in the first place.

Dub12Dave
18th February, 2011, 09:07 PM
I have now tried the Openbox S9 Upgrade Tool v2.0.0.0.zip and I can not connect to the box via null modem cable I get the message Target not connect or target is error status! Does anybody know what I should try next apart from throwing the box at the wall?

mept1
18th February, 2011, 09:32 PM
Got a box here the same,..recovered it once,...want have it this time either!!

hooley
18th February, 2011, 10:00 PM
I have now tried the Openbox S9 Upgrade Tool v2.0.0.0.zip and I can not connect to the box via null modem cable I get the message Target not connect or target is error status! Does anybody know what I should try next apart from throwing the box at the wall?
Have the box powered off, press connect them immediately power on box.You have pm Dave

mept1
19th February, 2011, 12:32 AM
Dave if you recover your box other than the upgrade tool or the instructions above,...please let the rest of no!!!!!

Dub12Dave
19th February, 2011, 06:32 PM
This is where I am now, I downloaded the uploader tool and finally got the thing to work, I went through all the stages seen all the things that I wanted to see and got the download success screen and pressed ok and finish, the box then went from saying on, to, on....boot.... - - now when I switch the box on, the front display has 2 green dashes - - I really dont know what else to try any suggestions are very welcome.

portbhoy
19th February, 2011, 07:35 PM
Try this on your box mate I had the same problem until I tried to flash this one which was my own backup from a while back but hey it worked. :ciao:

Dub12Dave
19th February, 2011, 08:57 PM
Try this on your box mate I had the same problem until I tried to flash this one which was my own backup from a while back but hey it worked. :ciao:

Thanks portbhoy for that I will give it a go tomorrow as I am giving it up for the night. Thanks again. :goodpost:

portbhoy
20th February, 2011, 08:55 PM
Did you get anywhere with it?

Dub12Dave
23rd February, 2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry portbhoy for the late reply but no I got nowhere with it but this is what I know about it,

Here is a reply sent to me from someone who knows about these things.
Just spoke with supplier, and they have told me that the bootloader on the chipset is corrupted by image. There is only 2 ways to recover, 1 is to replace chipset on box, which is tricky and does involve soldering. The second is to send the box back to them and they will reinstall hard written bootloader to the chipset.

And I have also asked Laurals53 for help and they have said,

If the chipset is damaged beyond repair then it will obviously require replacing, if it's been corrupt by partly becoming overwritten, then in many cases it should be possable to rewrite it with the correct bootloader software, and loader, but of course you would require the correct bootloader software, and you may only get that from the manufactures or in some instances the suppliers, you could alwas try asking your supplier if they can assist you obtaining it.

I realise that most manufactures prefer not to make such software public, but in many cases they will send it out too their suppliers, which makes sence, as it's far more cost effective for them, in preferance to having the receiver returned back too them.
I just emailed the engineers regarding your problem, and hopefully they will shed some light on what to do next, but as always theres no guarantee that they will respond.

So that is where I am until Friday when I will get delivered my new Openbox, hopefully I will have more luck with that one.

Dub12Dave
17th March, 2011, 11:29 AM
Just an update to my situation finally got the box back working after been told by the manufactures that it was dead, I will post back later today with how exactly I did it, Thank you all for your help and replies.

:party:

Dub12Dave
17th March, 2011, 02:47 PM
This is the loader that I used Opensat | MAKE THE FUTURE PRESENT | Support (http://www.opensat.info/support.php?kat=6) STB EROM Upgrade 2.0.0c (its the 3rd one down)
This is the software that I used supplied by hooley
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f184/new-firmware-15-3-2011-a-195709/

I used the loader and I tried the software contained within, it flashed successfully but the box only said 'On' for about 5 seconds then it said 'boot' for about 1 second and then it only displayed the 2 green dashes, so I was back to where I started. :bawling:
Then I remembered that new software was released on the 15th of March, so I used the same loader and and the new software and the box flashed successfully again, only this time the box said 'On' for about 5 seconds then it said 'boot' again for about 5 seconds and then it said 'NoCh' and then I knew that the box was alive again. :)

So if you have the same problem as I had, try the above and you too might get lucky.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me.

:party:

zorgman
22nd March, 2011, 04:45 PM
cant get mine to talk to box just says
reset target so switch it off and back on says
syn done
then
stb memory error try again.
any thoughts as supplier wont help case of you bought it its your problem.
im using a null modem cable (laplink) and the settings by default on software tho do i have to tick include bootloader

the man
22nd March, 2011, 08:55 PM
syn done
then
im using a null modem cable (laplink) and the settings by default on software tho do i have to tick include bootloader

that is very cold from the seller , where u get it from buddy? link?
and when?
theres laws to protected buyers

Dub12Dave
22nd March, 2011, 09:12 PM
syn done
then

Which loader are you using?

I remember having the same problem connecting to the box, it for me was a case of keep trying and you will get it, but I could connect straight away using a different loader, just a matter of timing I think.

Try a different loader to the one your using now and see if you can connect, reply back with your results please as it may help others, or if you need more help. :)

mept1
22nd March, 2011, 11:09 PM
zorgman,. you and me the same,..i,v tried eveyway with this box,..it,s a no go,.....i no must boxes inside out!!!!!!!!,....frigger will not connect...

jester1965
25th March, 2011, 06:46 PM
me the same, syncing stb reset target. plz help

jester1965
27th March, 2011, 06:29 PM
still cannot connect to my box, thinking its dead im afraid, has anyone got any more info or help plz

hooley
27th March, 2011, 06:34 PM
Jester the lad who was advising me is from here

jester1965
29th March, 2011, 06:50 PM
update, tried various loaders from forums, tried various firmware, tried different pc/null modem cable, and still the bugger wont connect. keeps saying syncing stb, reset target. is my box dead or shall i give it some more effort

Dub12Dave
29th March, 2011, 07:57 PM
Give it another few goes, I remember it took me ages to connect for the first time, but now it connects first time all the time, also it will do no harm to kepp trying different loaders.

jester1965
17th May, 2011, 09:12 PM
Give it another few goes, I remember it took me ages to connect for the first time, but now it connects first time all the time, also it will do no harm to kepp trying different loaders.
update heres what happend friend of mine had pc with onboard null connection, running xp and null modem cable. connected second time and flashed the box succesfully. i now own that pc and have done it myself three times since with april firmware and erom loader, hope this helps someone, dont use pci card null connection and dont use windows 7 pc and you may be ok:D

pts2006
23rd August, 2011, 02:56 AM
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

southpaw
23rd August, 2011, 03:17 AM
Nice one jester, I got a box stuck at 'on', same issues as you not connecting, will look round for an old p,c with onboard null connection, thanks for updating us with your findings mate

DonH
19th September, 2011, 05:35 PM
Hi folks, new user of S9 box so playing catch-up on all the info available. Box was received and setup last week. It is a clone and I have paperweighted it with the incorrect firmware. I have the EROM loader but need firmware that will work on a clone. It was good while it lasted. :) cheers

Edit: OK found Fware from March. Will try that.

DonH
20th September, 2011, 09:46 AM
I think I have recovered my S9 box thanks to some good advice from the lads on here. Used jester's suggestion to use EROM and Firmware from March 15th. My box now says NoCH instead of a solid ON. Will connect it up later on and confirm.

southpaw
20th September, 2011, 09:58 AM
well done don , pleased for you and not one bit gelous , honestly , lol

mine aint playing ball , just will not connect , tried various pc`s and cables ,
engineer in work is gonna lend me some rss/null modem kit , as there is about 7 standards of connection with this cable (loop back, handshake etc etc) , so when i get some free time , i will see if i can get to the bottom of it. obviously will update with any results

DonH
20th September, 2011, 01:48 PM
Cheers, Southpaw. If it's any good I just used a straight through 9-way serial cable and switched pins 2-3(TXD) and 3-2(RXD), connected pin 5 (0v) and connected to the S9 box.
The Erom loader was started and I selected the *.abs from March 15th. Selected Upgrade option and checked the 'include bootloader'
I reset the box once and while the software still displayed 'reset device' I just let it sit for about 15 seconds and the download started. When it finished I reset the box and NoCH was displayed on it (box). Just connected it back to my TV and all is good.

It is resetting on some channels but I'll delete them as I go. My main concern is the non FTA HD channels are sticking and showing 'scrambled' regularly. if someone has an idea of a fix for that, I'd be grateful. perhaps an inline amplifier?
Alternatively, is it any better with a genuine box and the latest firmware?

TheCoder
20th September, 2011, 07:39 PM
that is very cold from the seller , where u get it from buddy? link?
and when?
theres laws to protected buyers

The laws seem to be very vague once you've modified absolutely anything from the original configuration. Simply 'flashing' a box, even with manufacturer approved firmware, can easily invalidate any warranty as your deemed to of tampered with the product by performing an unauthourised modification. As far as the law seems to be concerned, flashing firmware is something that should only be carried out by manufacturer approved personnel.

PC Motherboards seem especially prone to this problem with most 'flash updater' programs coming with a disclaimer that if it all goes wrong then the manufactuer takes no liability whatsoever for any damage you've caused to the board.

taree
21st September, 2011, 12:01 PM
I m facing strange problem.after all this process download was finished successfull.but when i disconect the main power and put it again.now openbox is in standby mod.only red light is on.what should i do?any chance of power supply failure?

nictalope
15th July, 2012, 04:27 AM
I have the same problem that Dub12Dave, i will try the same and post again

vinchuk
18th September, 2012, 03:39 AM
I'm experiencing same problem. Could you tell me I have to use some JTAG interface or is it only necessary RS232 to solve this.
Please help
Thanks