PDA

View Full Version : VPN

Krassegrand
20th February, 2011, 02:52 PM
First I want to state that I am novice about VPN and want to surf like if I was in the UK but I am in Sweden.
Is VPN the way to go or will it be to slow to watch streams?

J?rgen

GastonJ
20th February, 2011, 02:55 PM
It's the way to hide information in an encrypted format that cannot be read by anyone except the sender and receiver. However there is an overhead for encryption of around, and this is rule of thumb off the tpo of my head, 10% of the processing power to achive it.

Krassegrand
20th February, 2011, 03:16 PM
That sounds good!
So now then, what is the best way to get VPN working on Ubuntu or Windows XP.

GastonJ
20th February, 2011, 03:19 PM
here would be a very good start

FreeS/WAN Project: Home Page (http://www.freeswan.org/)

or

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source.html

HTH

smokin
1st March, 2011, 08:09 PM
not so so sure about the 10% bit , but I use noirvpn dot com...works great for me, cheap enough and has 4 different IP servers....and you will not get caught if thats what you're thinging about!

Krassegrand
5th March, 2011, 09:35 AM
I have started to install!

Sat Mar 5 09:14:23 2011 /sbin/route add -net 128.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0 gw 109.200.23.1
Sat Mar 5 09:14:23 2011 Initialization Sequence Completed

But then it goes on like

Sat Mar 5 09:16:02 2011 read TCPv4_CLIENT []: No route to host (code=113)
Sat Mar 5 09:16:09 2011 read TCPv4_CLIENT []: No route to host (code=113)
Sat Mar 5 09:16:16 2011 read TCPv4_CLIENT []: No route to host (code=113

And internet does not work until I turn the PC of and start again.

jeez
5th March, 2011, 01:55 PM
well it seems that I have come to the right place, the first post I read is j?rgens post and how he is a novice in the vpn field, well so am I but I can see that there is plenty to learn here, so a thank you before I even start to read up on all the post?s.

Looking forward to learn from you guys.

regards Jeez

GastonJ
6th March, 2011, 11:50 AM
I have started to install!

Sat Mar 5 09:14:23 2011 /sbin/route add -net 128.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0 gw 109.200.23.1
Sat Mar 5 09:14:23 2011 Initialization Sequence Completed

But then it goes on like

Sat Mar 5 09:16:02 2011 read TCPv4_CLIENT []: No route to host (code=113)
Sat Mar 5 09:16:09 2011 read TCPv4_CLIENT []: No route to host (code=113)
Sat Mar 5 09:16:16 2011 read TCPv4_CLIENT []: No route to host (code=113

And internet does not work until I turn the PC of and start again.

Unsure what you've set up so far really, however your default gateway of 109.200.23.1 does exist as your VPN gateway?

Krassegrand
6th March, 2011, 03:12 PM
It is working! It was not that difficult, even I managed to get it working!
Now it will cost $4,99/month or (as for me) $49/year.

blueflash234
6th March, 2011, 09:00 PM
i agree with smokin i use noir vpn and find it excellent

Doi07
14th March, 2011, 10:58 PM
Try SecurityKISS Tunnel (http://www.securitykiss.com/sk/index.php?m=Home), will work on win XP, not sure about Linux. It's free for 300MB of traffic and you can buy a bigger package if you want more.

Krassegrand
15th March, 2011, 05:46 PM
unblockVPN is working both on Linux Ubuntu and Windows XP.

J?rgen

Krassegrand
17th May, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have been using unblockVPN for watching my favorite event on the brittish national TV about every second week now. Works very nice.
The Flash workes better on Windows than Ubuntu so I use windows to watch. The biggest problem is that bacause I dont use Windows that often there is allways a lot of updates that windows are doing when I start it but if I str it up in the morning or the day before it has time to fix all tha before I want to watch TV.

codexploid
4th June, 2011, 09:48 PM
check the Tor Project, anonymity online

Krassegrand
5th June, 2011, 02:18 PM
Does that give You the freedom to choose with country You will seem to appear to be in?
I want to pretend that I am in UK.

codexploid
6th June, 2011, 11:48 AM
No, tor is for anonymity, you cant choose any country.
To pretend that your in UK you can use proxy's,
that means you only change the browse settings to some proxy server.

Or you install some tool that is doing it for you.
Look for Proxy Switcher, its a great tool, you can manually choose any country you like from a list and it changes your browser settings.

Krassegrand
6th June, 2011, 02:17 PM
To pretend that your in UK you can use proxy's,

I have tried that without luck, maybe I did not find the right IP numbers.

This works every time. When I have used IP numbers I have always had the problem that it is hard to find a working IP when I need it.

Or maybe You can direct me to a place where I can find it?:top:

J?rgen

codexploid
7th June, 2011, 12:59 PM
You right the free ip lists are not stable, you have al time to play with it.

On this site (http://freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy/index.htm) you can find a lot of good servers.

smokin
13th July, 2011, 11:16 PM
that list is nothing but proxy...( a cheap mask) which is not the same as actually changing your IP.
Change your IP with a decent vpn and you will NOT be detected, by your IP, since its been swapped by the service of a vpn. Many exist, don't be fooled, myself I use noirvpn, works fine and invisible..it's not just a mask.

TheCoder
14th July, 2011, 01:44 AM
that list is nothing but proxy...( a cheap mask) which is not the same as actually changing your IP.
Change your IP with a decent vpn and you will NOT be detected, by your IP, since its been swapped by the service of a vpn. Many exist, don't be fooled, myself I use noirvpn, works fine and invisible..it's not just a mask.

Although you may make it much harder for your ISP to view your data not even a vpn is fully secure. Certainly the technology exists (and is in use) by sovereign states to trace-through vpn connections using various means including packet-match timing of server inputs/output and I/O monitors.

To be relatively much more secure a multi-vpn service is the way to go. This bounces your encrypted packet between several clustered vpn's with the 'exit' server being randomised.

Also remember that the final data hop between the vpn server and the ultimate packet destination is NOT encrypted (unless you use a 2nd encryption protocol on top of the vpn) so any information you have embedded within that packet is clear to view. Its amazing what ordinarily gets embedded into standard packets including, very often, the source/return addresses.

smokin
15th July, 2011, 08:25 PM
Although you may make it much harder for your ISP to view your data not even a vpn is fully secure. Certainly the technology exists (and is in use) by sovereign states to trace-through vpn connections using various means including packet-match timing of server inputs/output and I/O monitors.

To be relatively much more secure a multi-vpn service is the way to go. This bounces your encrypted packet between several clustered vpn's with the 'exit' server being randomised.

Also remember that the final data hop between the vpn server and the ultimate packet destination is NOT encrypted (unless you use a 2nd encryption protocol on top of the vpn) so any information you have embedded within that packet is clear to view. Its amazing what ordinarily gets embedded into standard packets including, very often, the source/return addresses.

OK, no argument here...but if a super power wants you, then they will get you....( like bin laden eh) but at this level, it a bit far fetched. If you want real email protection and such, then you need something like PGP encryption, which has a private, specific key on both ends. However, I think we talk about ISP provider being a watcher and checking for down loads from your IP.
So if you use a vpn like I do, then they just see a server IP, with no name attached.
Heck they even have a hard time taking down the WikiLeaks guy or even Murrdoch...so for the most part a vpn is the safest thing you can do to protect yourself from the snooping government and peeps with network sniffters look for a IP to jump on..

Whatever your choice just use something...somebody is watching!!

TheCoder
16th July, 2011, 12:00 AM
[quoteWhatever your choice just use something...somebody is watching!!

Indeed they are, and the sad thing is that its not even that difficult with relatively modest equipment. The real problem is that it absolutely terrifies most governments (incl US/UK) to think that citizens could actually do something in an anonymous fashion. As a result, they've mostly made it very difficult indeed !

Still, generally a vpn is still a good idea. In the main it prevents your ISP from snooping (remember they now have to keep a record of all customer connections for 2 years by law) and, if your careful, it can prevent the destination from knowing your actual location (beware data seepage - its amazing what extra info gets sent by most browsers).

Of course, you also need to trust that the VPN service that your using. Providing such a service would be an excellent way to 'harvest' information like bank/credit card details etc, not to mention passwords.........

hulldj
20th July, 2011, 07:07 PM
I have been using VyprVpn as part of my giganews package.

Stops my isp shaping when using newsgroups to download. Works with p2p too if thats your thing. Think they have 4 or 5 locations too.

Tor is on my ubuntu box with vpn running.

TheCoder
20th July, 2011, 07:16 PM
Stops my isp shaping when using newsgroups to download. Works with p2p too if thats your thing. Think they have 4 or 5 locations too.

Problem is that a lot of ISP's are now moving to 'shape' anything they can't identify whilst allowing most of the protocols they can. They are effectively assuming that anything encrypted or through a vpn service doesn't need high priority transfer. A lot of this is actually at the insistance of UK/US broadcasters who dont like that they cant control the streaming of their services beyond national boundaries.