PDA

View Full Version : Anyone managed to get a USB portable hard drive working?

bernado
21st February, 2011, 01:50 AM
I've managed to get various flash sticks recognised by S9, but it doesn't want to know with a WD Passport mini portable hard drive. Tried various formatting options but still the same. A mains powered WD My Book works just fine.
I'm wondering if this is due to the box not putting enough juice out the USB to power portable (passive) hard drive based storeage.
I'm hoping someone can tell me otherwise, as I don't like the idea of having a powered drive permanantly on all the time.

kevhky
23rd February, 2011, 09:51 AM
Ive got two laptop hard drives working fine 2.5"
1 x 300gb. 1 x 130gb

Kev

bernado
23rd February, 2011, 10:22 AM
Ive got two laptop hard drives working fine 2.5"
1 x 300gb. 1 x 130gb

Kev

And these drives aren't powered externally? If so, have you got any ideas of drive brand and what caddy you're using?
Thanks

kevhky
23rd February, 2011, 10:27 AM
Neither of them powered externally

Cheap drive enclosures bought off ebay think they were about ?3 each hey they spot on though quite good quality,

format your drives via usb in pc to fat32 then stick them in openbox usb slot and in tools go to format drive, i chose to format to ntfs but that was just my choice either will work

bernado
23rd February, 2011, 03:48 PM
Yikes, those Bay caddies are crazy cheap. I'll try and source an old laptop drive and give it a go.
I have to say though, my initial thoughts on this receiver after a couple of days use are very positive, it is amazing value.

Thanks

fergyc
11th March, 2011, 05:06 PM
Works great here!

bernado
11th March, 2011, 06:20 PM
Working for me too now. It seems WD Passports are a no go due to the rubbish unremovable firmware they bolt on to them. Bought a Samsung 320gb Spinpoint and all is well