PDA

View Full Version : Which Dreambox to replace a SKY HD box

markrryan
26th February, 2011, 10:48 AM
Guys,

I've spent a bit of time looking through the forums on here and have learnt quite a bit however I still have a question to ask.

My SKY HD box has finally had it and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Dreambox, my question is which one will allow me to watch a program while recording another one? Am I right in thinking that I need a box with twin tuners? Obviously I'd like HD so does that narrow me down to just the 8000HD?

I'm sure it's easily answered but your advice is appreciated!

Mark

southpaw
26th February, 2011, 10:52 AM
twin tuners HD boxes are quite rare for some reason, You are limited to dm8000 and VU+ Duo

the VU Duo is an excellent box and runs enigma2 (same software as dreambox)

cf125
3rd December, 2011, 03:55 PM
would this one be ideal to replace my sky hd box and what are the main benefits for this over my sky box.

VU+ DUO Linux HD Twin Tuner PVR Digital Satellite Receiver | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VU-DUO-Linux-HD-Twin-Tuner-PVR-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-/130590960631?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item1e67d3ebf7)

cactikid
3rd December, 2011, 04:42 PM
cant go wrong with the vu+duo one of the best boxes around with great support,yes clicked that link same place as i got my box from,consider internal hdd for recording also i got a 1 tb fitted

cf125
3rd December, 2011, 10:47 PM
ok thanks for that, just a few questions, if i get this vu+ over a dreambox is there a app i can use to watch tv on my ipad, and also if i record sumet to the internal hard drive can i copy its contents to a pc and finally will it work with my sky subscription channels and is it as easy to use as sky+

Im85288
7th December, 2011, 02:25 PM
The XTrend ET9000 (or even the new ET9200) is also a good alternative. It offers a couple of features not available on the VU+ such as PIP and BlindScan. There is an app called DreamBoxLive that works a treat on the ipad. You can copy recorded content to your PC if you like, but beware it is recorded in TS format. It will read your sky card no problem, I have one in mine.

As for is it as easy to use as sky+ well it depends greatly on what image you put on, the best I found is the ViX image which comes close to the sky+ experience offering a sort of series link etc but I have to be honest and say using the sky+ box for things like recording and viewing playbacks and tv planner is still the most user friendly option out there. With the XTrend or VU though you can do all sorts of cool things though such as watch multi sat, create your own channel list, view in XBMC, stream over the internet etc

toysoft
12th December, 2011, 02:16 AM
Using my DM8000 clone with freesat SKY card (BBC and +), working perfectly, getting the updates properly with CCcam 2.1.3, so just fine !

TS