PDA

View Full Version : How to change COM port settings using USB-to-Serial Adapter

smirnoff_rules
20th April, 2008, 05:51 PM
setting to change your com settings

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) -> Prolific USB to Serial Bridge… at this point, take note of the COM number. Use that number when assigning the COM port

http://www.sabine.com/Newsletters/News-images/W2K-Device-Manager.jpg

in your Device Manager and double click your USB to Serial adapter. Click Port Settings and then Advanced. You should then be able to select the COM port (1, 2, 3, or 4) being careful not to select a COM port already in use on your computer.

if u only have printer and com then change the com one in the drop down box

markbng
24th April, 2008, 11:24 AM
Some virtual com-port drivers seem to have a fixed com-port number. These drivers mainly use usbser.sys from Microsoft. You can change the inf-file of the device....

[USBtoSer.AddReg] ; AddReg section
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern ;
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,usbser.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

The USBtoSer label can be different from your device. The last line is important. Please make sure that msports.dll is included in the inf file. After you have reinstalled the driver, you should be able to change the com-port number.

Regards,
Mark

simski100
15th May, 2008, 09:03 PM
I have just bought a usb adaptor for my null modem cable as my laptop doesnt have anywhere for it to plug in but it still aint working. cant see any com ports in harware manager but a usb ser! whatever that means. So I cant flash my dreambox 500c with a new image. I am at a complete loss as how to get round this so I need some simple advice.

foxhill
27th May, 2008, 01:59 AM
Hi
I m in same boat. bought one adapter from ebay. but it didnt work out. tried evrything. later discoverd- after installing the driver for adapter andplugged in USB, windows automatically startts downloaded the driver for adapter, though I already installed one.
so think few these adapters r dodgy, especially bought from china!! and there is no drver support.
well still no luck. goin to fork out more few quid on good one this time.
any progress pls keep updating

jimbo69jones
27th May, 2008, 04:52 PM
A lot of the cheapy USB>Serial adaptors sold on ebay use a TI chipset, and the drivers can be hard enough to find alright. I've attached the drivers I managed to find and I hope they help. They are actually for a USB>Mobile serial phone lead, but they have worked on several non-branded serial leads as they use the same chipset. Cannot hurt to try.

andyd123
8th June, 2008, 10:21 PM
Like many i bought one of these for flashing my 500C from my laptop.

I installed the software and it automatically installed to com10. i changed from com 10 to com 2 as 2 was free but to this day i could never connect to the 500c using this cable instead wen i need to reflash i use a friends pc.

If there is a solution to this i'd be very interested.

Thanks

Andyd123

smirnoff_rules
8th June, 2008, 10:39 PM
have u tried dreamup for the 600 pvr its abit better l have found and auto finds the port

andyd123
8th June, 2008, 11:21 PM
have u tried dreamup for the 600 pvr its abit better l have found and auto finds the port

I can only find one version of Dreamup which seems to be universal for all models.

Thanks for your reply

Andyd123

<--andyd123 added 12 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...-->

I just downloaded the latest dreamup 1.3.3.0 and now if i connect the box via the usb to com adapter the box gives the following message then just stops and goes no further

23:18:19 box type: DM500

Any further ideas ?

alliv
19th June, 2008, 10:47 PM
i had this problem with my laptop and vista.

wholesale
22nd June, 2008, 10:33 PM
I have one of this usb null modem cable whick works ok with eurovox but does not detect dreambox and when i try to use this cable with dreamup laptop window vista crashes.

Dazza
9th August, 2008, 04:33 PM
I've got one of these adapters for my lappy, but it's never worked properly.

The drivers installed ok on XP, and I can change COM ports just fine. Dreamup seems to id everything ok, but after that, nothing works.

Same in Ubuntu (Linux OS) It picks up the adapter just fine (no drivers needed!) but again, Dreamup seems to have issues.

I wonder if it's more of a power issue when using the adapter...?

mrcraig
17th August, 2008, 09:05 PM
i have one of the usb adapters to flash my starview 3 ..that was simple..but im lost when it comes to a dm500c...HEEELLLPP

Dazza
18th August, 2008, 03:04 AM
i have one of the usb adapters to flash my starview 3 ..that was simple..but im lost when it comes to a dm500c...HEEELLLPP

See the first post in this thread, and use DeamUp.

What's the problem exactly..?

sherlock
26th August, 2008, 03:14 PM
I've got one of these adapters for my lappy, but it's never worked properly.

The drivers installed ok on XP, and I can change COM ports just fine. Dreamup seems to id everything ok, but after that, nothing works.

Same in Ubuntu (Linux OS) It picks up the adapter just fine (no drivers needed!) but again, Dreamup seems to have issues.

I wonder if it's more of a power issue when using the adapter...?

Can confirm that these adapters from ebay do not work on a laptop running vista.
best addapter is a pcmcia to serial card works no probs 500/600/ev too,
Just ensure it is vista compatable.

andypandy
28th September, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have same problem. Did you solve it?

deepinder
1st October, 2008, 05:19 PM
Is hyperterminal of any use when connecting DBox thru Serial Cable.

What settings have to be done.

yamar1
1st October, 2008, 06:41 PM
I too had problems with usb serial adaptor, got it from ebay and it worked perfectly well when connected to a dbox. When connected to a dreambox using dream up it wouldnt connect, tried everything, then tried the same box on a freinds computer with built in 9 pin serial port and it connected 1st time. I then bought a serial card to go permenently inside my computer (?5 ebay) and now works and connects fine. so in my opinion dont bother with usb adaptor. Hope this helps.

smartsalman
4th October, 2008, 09:58 PM
A lot of the cheapy USB>Serial adaptors sold on ebay use a TI chipset, and the drivers can be hard enough to find alright. I've attached the drivers I managed to find and I hope they help. They are actually for a USB>Mobile serial phone lead, but they have worked on several non-branded serial leads as they use the same chipset. Cannot hurt to try.

sweet! works! thanks!

Dowie
28th November, 2008, 02:17 PM
The one from maplins defo works ive got one and its never given me a problem.
Just one thing it needs to be below com10 in the settings as described on post 1

Dowie

lordswood
29th November, 2008, 09:47 PM
thanks mate works on vista

mcassidy
29th November, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hi. I used Dreamup Ver 1.3.3.2 to flash a DM 500C. I also had a usb to serial adapter which I bought on ebay. It did come with a driver and seemed to install. I have Vista Business on my laptop. When I plugged in the usb to serial device there was a message from Vista stating that the device was ready. However it did not work. I think it was COM port 14 which was given in the message and so this was the one I choose from the drop down list in Dreamup. In the end I had to repeat the whole process on on older laptop with Windows XP and an inbuilt serial interface. The flashing proceeded with no problems at all. So much for new laptops with no legacy interfaces and the "advanced" features of Windows Vista.

mark015
9th December, 2008, 06:09 PM
check the reviews guys it may help some of u out,>Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: USB to Serial cable (RS232) adapter RS-232 converter, connect a serial printer or other device to a USB port.

maj01
31st December, 2008, 06:50 PM
Like you guys I also tryied to flash using a laptop and usb adaptor. After many hours of trying I eventually gave up.
I now take my dm500s to my place of work where I use a PC to flash. I never had a problem using a PC.
I got a driver with my usb adaptor, installed it and thought I was ready to go but just didn`t work.
I will try and upload the driver if anyone wants to have a go.

boda
7th January, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hey guys,
My PC only has a printer and com port and my monitor is connected to COM1. I've got the COM to USB adapter but when I run the flashing program, UFL EX5000 v2.1, it only looks at COM1. The USB adapter is set at COM9.
I've read the instructions on changing the port and it seems easy enough but I'm worried that if I change COM9 to COM1 I will lose my monitor.

Is it safe to change COM9 to COM1? Also COM2 is available if that makes a difference.

Cheers.

Brethitmanhart
20th January, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hey, first post to say thanks for the downloads above (and to gain access to download them!)

jckw
21st January, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hey guys,
My PC only has a printer and com port and my monitor is connected to COM1. I've got the COM to USB adapter but when I run the flashing program, UFL EX5000 v2.1, it only looks at COM1. The USB adapter is set at COM9.
I've read the instructions on changing the port and it seems easy enough but I'm worried that if I change COM9 to COM1 I will lose my monitor.

Is it safe to change COM9 to COM1? Also COM2 is available if that makes a difference.

Cheers. change it frm com 9 to 2 it worked for me yesterday:dancing2:

dbbaby
5th March, 2009, 03:53 AM
I,m newbie.
I want to know. Can solve this on dreambox DM500S directly?

mcassidy
6th April, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hi I have tried to use a USB to serial adapter on a laptop with no legacy ports. I used the driver disc which came with the adapter. The operating system is Vista Business. It seemed to install ok but I was unable to use Dreamup to flash via the serial adapter. The system completely froze and required a reboot. I had to use an old desktop with a serial port to achieve a successful flash.

krisbanagan
9th May, 2009, 04:07 PM
i hve usb/rs232 working for another stb but my problem is
when i use to my dreambox 500s for dream up not conected.
pls advise what is mainly problem...tnx tia...

dezzmondo
7th June, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ive got the same problem even using XP. tying to do a eurovox.

halfdene
17th July, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have Dream up for Dm 500, I don?t have the zipfile so I cannot upload it, if somebody wants it mail me.

bobza23
10th September, 2009, 08:30 PM
just installed my adapter(usb 2 to rs232 converter)..bought off ebay ..i had to connect it to my vista laptop then load the cd into the driver ,, was a little confusing but read the readme which says to pre install from cd then to unplug restart computer the attach to computer again and let windows install,, took a few minutes but it installed ok and managed to flash my box using dreamup... hope this helps others

Zonic
11th November, 2009, 11:52 PM
I do not know why this software is not available in the IT webside

Zonic
12th November, 2009, 12:04 AM
I am looking for usb-RS232 converter, It looks fine. but, Does anybody know about similar drivers?

ianmac
12th November, 2009, 01:16 AM
I am looking for usb-RS232 converter, It looks fine. but, Does anybody know about similar drivers?

Have a look here @ post number 193:
:wink:

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f10/please-upload-maplin-usb-serial-rs232-drivers-d-12622/index13.html

& you will see usb serial drivers for all these window versions...

====================================

System Requirement:
. Supports the following Windows OSes:
- Windows 98SE
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000 SP4
- Windows XP SP2 and above (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2003 (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2008 (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows Vista (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)
======================================

Hope this helps

Ian

avo24
8th February, 2010, 03:43 PM
HI all.. I am news here.. I using a china box DM900-c2 .. I would like to know which software can it mod my DM900-C2.. and what is the PASSWORD for DM900-C2.. PLZ all help me ..PLZ

Bluezola
19th March, 2010, 09:10 PM
setting to change your com settings

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) -> Prolific USB to Serial Bridge… at this point, take note of the COM number. Use that number when assigning the COM port

http://www.sabine.com/Newsletters/News-images/W2K-Device-Manager.jpg

in your Device Manager and double click your USB to Serial adapter. Click Port Settings and then Advanced. You should then be able to select the COM port (1, 2, 3, or 4) being careful not to select a COM port already in use on your computer.

if u only have printer and com then change the com one in the drop down box
thanks for all your help as I need as much help as poss

bk9mm
3rd May, 2010, 10:43 PM
my rs232 with adaptor works fine with usb converter, but wont detect with dreamup

harky
8th May, 2010, 01:31 PM
i using win7 ... usb successful install but dreamup not working??

do anyone had successful used dreamup with win7?

j4m35
9th May, 2010, 08:14 AM
i using win7 ... usb successful install but dreamup not working??

do anyone had successful used dreamup with win7?

Hi Harky,

Does dreamup start at all? Or does it come up with an error stating that COM port is not found. If dreamup starts but cannot communicate with the dreambox, some possible reasons are as follows:

There are a number of USB->RS232 adapters out there. Problem arises from some of them: 1. being non-bidirectional (i.e. doesn't let the dreambox communicate back to the PC) 2. reverse the polarity on one of the TX / RX lines.

First try the Null modem cable with a computer that has an original COM port. Once you know the Null modem cable works. You will have to try with a few USB->RS232 adapters...

Cheers,
James

harky
10th May, 2010, 07:12 AM
i had a Null modem cable but i want to try usb one so i bought a direct USB->RS232 cable.........
do i know to change the port if i had install the driver successfully?

momen1995
16th June, 2010, 11:06 PM
i also have the same problem

harky
5th July, 2010, 10:32 AM
i had
this device cannot start. code 10 windows 7

but cant find any solution.. anyone know?

spyhit
15th July, 2010, 10:05 PM
How can I change settings to connect my deambox 500s with my computer?

helldoll
21st July, 2010, 06:52 PM
I am thinking on reinstalling a new windows(got w7 x64

GoOMa
9th August, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hi everybody from Italy. I reached your forum surfing the net looking for solution to a problem: I bought an USB to Serial Adapter (Prolific) to connect my notebook with an electrical safety defice but it doesn't work. I guess it's a driver problem. I'm going to download the driversi in pg 1.
Anyone have some help??
Ciao!

mcassidy
23rd August, 2010, 02:26 PM

The links to the files do not appear to be working. Thanks.

ayman00971
20th December, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have same problem, is there another loader could work?

Madmaxx68
20th December, 2010, 09:46 PM
Having similar issues but I am going to try the drive download posted here.

bursiene
5th January, 2011, 12:48 PM
I forked out ?30 for a usb serial port adaptor plus cable from Maplin and same problem that dream up wont see my DM600!!!

The guy I bought it off said I could post it back for him to flash however I will be stuck in the future as I would be unable to flash it myself.

Would a serial port card work as previously stated as I would rather spend ?15 on a card than ?15 posting it back to get sorted?

harky
13th January, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hi, i need some pro to help..

currently i m on Win7.. i understand that dreamup need XP to work.. so i download Windows Virtual PC.
I got myself a 9pin PCI express card for my laptop

sometime (should say alway?) when i m trying to flash a image using dreamup by login to Windows Virtual PC... dreamup app will stop at 3% more or less...
i supect is the Windows Virtual PC but i cant explain what really went wrong..

but dreamup and null modem cable seen to be the only choice to do if dm is down..

avwolf
15th January, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hi Harky,

maybe you can try a different version of Dreamup.
I use version 1.3.3.1 and it was ok although the latest version couldn't work.
click on my signature to find the link to download version 1.3.3.1

are you using PCMCIA card on your laptop to connect the null modem cable? where did you buy the PCMCIA card and how much is it?

avwolf
19th January, 2011, 08:08 AM

the links to the drivers on the above post doesn't work anymore. can someone post a workable link to the drivers here? thanks.

harky
10th February, 2011, 06:42 PM
I using expresscard connect the null modem cable

Hi Harky,

maybe you can try a different version of Dreamup.
I use version 1.3.3.1 and it was ok although the latest version couldn't work.
click on my signature to find the link to download version 1.3.3.1

are you using PCMCIA card on your laptop to connect the null modem cable? where did you buy the PCMCIA card and how much is it?

harky
18th February, 2011, 10:54 PM
Problem solved. thanks!

harky
21st February, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hi
How do i check this?
I dont think is the null cable issue as i did it once before long long ago
1. being non-bidirectional (i.e. doesn't let the dreambox communicate back to the PC)
2. reverse the polarity on one of the TX / RX lines.

Hi Harky,

Does dreamup start at all? Or does it come up with an error stating that COM port is not found. If dreamup starts but cannot communicate with the dreambox, some possible reasons are as follows:

There are a number of USB->RS232 adapters out there. Problem arises from some of them: 1. being non-bidirectional (i.e. doesn't let the dreambox communicate back to the PC) 2. reverse the polarity on one of the TX / RX lines.

First try the Null modem cable with a computer that has an original COM port. Once you know the Null modem cable works. You will have to try with a few USB->RS232 adapters...

Cheers,
James

DBTraitor
5th May, 2011, 02:47 PM
yes download link for drivers dun work anymore
need drivers

miikin
10th May, 2011, 07:14 AM
Download from here - swrc094 (http://focus.ti.com/lit/sw/swrc094f/swrc094f.zip)

drakoon
8th July, 2011, 11:36 PM
i shall try it

craigy
25th August, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Guys,I am a newbie to this dreambox stuff & have got myself a 500c and am trying to flash it,Have tried it on my pc with xp & netbook running win7,Have used many versions of dreamup & have tried using usb to 9 pin,Also 25pin to 9pin,Both null modem cables,Just get connection ready power up dreambox,But no connection,In dreamup have set the com port to the right one but still no joy,Hope someone can help,Thanxs.

element888
13th September, 2011, 09:01 PM
I cant get my cable work aswell. Bought from ebay. Hope drivers above will help

Neilos888
12th November, 2011, 04:42 PM
Same problems here, mine uses prolific drivers

mhacky
21st November, 2011, 03:43 AM
putangina nyo

bedoo10
12th December, 2011, 01:32 AM
i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM :s

carllord
12th December, 2011, 05:13 PM
cant flash my box can i do it using windows 7 or do i needxp

flye
8th January, 2012, 09:43 AM
well if this would be of any help, i made my own null modem cable with full handshaking and it works perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/Ck85x.jpg

ReEng
10th January, 2012, 10:49 PM
Guys
I bought a cheap USB to null model cable and am trying to install drivers. Tried many different ones but no luck. Can you please help me with driver for this cable? On a different note why dont we have 15 pin three row port on DM500 boxes? That will make it lot easy or does that defeat the purpose?

FredB
23rd January, 2012, 05:49 PM
Did somebody try this with the driver mentioned in here ?? TI does not have it online anymore ....

Thx,

Fred

shero83
11th February, 2012, 08:35 AM
thanks for this

fredfokan
26th February, 2012, 10:17 PM
I ve got the same problem even using XP.

luisarf
3rd March, 2012, 12:15 AM
I need the driver for the null cable of the dream 500

dreadlock
5th April, 2012, 04:56 PM
thanksssssssssssss

yaseen121
28th April, 2012, 09:53 PM
will give it a try, thanks

luisfmolina
23rd May, 2012, 07:51 PM

Thanks, I?m gonna take a look at this :top:

digitalscv
29th May, 2012, 07:26 AM
i bought 1 usb->serial rs232 cable and it installs well in windows 7 and xp. but i tried dreamup 1.3.3.0 and 1.3.3.8, it connects and i am suppose to reboot my DM500-C IV but then after reboot, the program still did not work.

Adrianash1
31st May, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have a Linksat 900 Satellite receiver and am trying to upload some data using a USB to serial adapter but cannot access the ports I have uploaded PL 2303 Prolific driver but can't complete upload any help please:confused::confused:
Adrian Ash

nazgul
4th June, 2012, 03:35 PM
Can someone provide me with the null modem driver for vista. Im using usb to Rs232 but the driver doesnt work...need to flash my dreambox....:alberteinstein:

zainkazmi7
27th June, 2012, 05:29 PM
hi,
i have a dm500 and every single image i try to flash comes up with error! upload aborted, even when i try to do the original
i have already tried to change the com port settings but there is no 56.000 setting available
although my box is a clone (i think) because it says electro multimedia on the front, i think i must be doing something wrong?
the box itself has no image on it at the moment so dreamup is my only option
someone please save me, been stuck with this dilemma for 3 months and about to give up hope!

ps im using a usb to serial converter and i have the correct drivers on because dreamup does recognise the box after a few tries

thank you

ariasdiesel
24th July, 2012, 04:02 AM
could someone help me set up my usb link to run the bluetooth. when my laptop detects the device it asks for a pairing key and do not know where to get that key

babylynnt
28th July, 2012, 03:53 AM
Can someone help me on the driver for RS232 to USB .Apparently the PL2303 does not work for me at all.Can someone help i am using window 7

ashrafadnan99
31st August, 2012, 10:40 AM

test1234567890

jonnykhan
12th October, 2012, 07:49 PM
same problem:(

Nemeziz
18th October, 2012, 08:54 PM
same problem with usb to serial from ebay, blue color the connectors.

rh8611
27th October, 2012, 07:56 AM
hi guys,
i am new with flash.

But advise if i bought the correct stuffs for flashing DM500C

1. Null Modem Cable. (9pin female to 9pin female)
2. USB to 9 Pin male USB adaptor

I am using Window XP. Kindly if this is what most of you guys are having issues with? And if i got the correct stuffs?

stufta1
10th January, 2013, 01:52 AM
Same problem here, might have to buy a better cable, one with some support.

prashn80
11th January, 2013, 05:43 AM
The USB to Serial converters tend to give many problems. I had the same problem of upload aborted while using the converter.Solution is to buy a PCI to Serial card and install it in your desktop PC. Guaranteed to work, tried it myself.

moustaphags
23rd January, 2013, 05:23 AM
that is kind of you . i have suffered a lot with this problem. i hope it will work with me

alanherbert
1st February, 2013, 06:22 AM
prolific clone

hasnak
12th February, 2013, 07:38 PM
i need help with usb to com adapter dreamup cant recognize

emilul
13th February, 2013, 09:12 PM
Dreamup older version solved my problem of not connecting to DM500s

La Manita
26th February, 2013, 04:12 PM
Hello DK, please can you help me with my DM 500C.
I'm new here (2-3 days active) and my english is not very good.
I read a lot on this site and still didn't solve my problem.

I want to flash my dreambox and i follow steps from here:
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/guide-flashing-dreambox-dreamup-33/

Cabel i use is USB on one side and Null modem on the other side.
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7913/dsc07114small.jpg

And this is backside of Dreambox:
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8549/dsc07117ah.jpg

And i can't use original Null Modem Cable because my laptop don't have that input.
I only have 15pin input (rs232):
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1861/dsc07119h.jpg

Now I try to use that Guide from Devilfish and i try it with two different DreamUp versions (V1.3.2.1 and V1.3.3.9) but nothing happens.
I don't see this: "bootloader should be copied to the box" and I dont get that message: 'Box attached and Ready'
I'm sure I use right Port for the connection (COM9).
There is 14 different Ports i can choose and i try all of them.
It's still like this, nothing happens:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4235/unavngivethb.jpg

Please what to do next??
Is there some other versions of DreamUp or some other software??

I'm very thankful for your help.
Best regards ;)

La Manita
26th February, 2013, 05:39 PM
I have now tried 6 different versions of DreamUp and still nothing.
My computer just can't recognize this Dreambox.
I also tried with network cable but still no help.
This can't be so difficult.

Last week I watched channels for free on this Dreambox
and then my Cable provider do some new installation on wall
and put a new Cable box there.
After that all my channels disappeard and I can't find anything.
I was trying some functions but no help and then i reset Dreambox.
Now I want to start all over and need your help.

ypvs125
26th February, 2013, 05:52 PM
I have now tried 6 different versions of DreamUp and still nothing.
My computer just can't recognize this Dreambox.
I also tried with network cable but still no help.
This can't be so difficult.

Last week I watched channels for free on this Dreambox
and then my Cable provider do some new installation on wall
and put a new Cable box there.
After that all my channels disappeard and I can't find anything.
I was trying some functions but no help and then i reset Dreambox.
Now I want to start all over and need your help.

Which os r u using? If yr box able to boot up, there is no need to reflash.

La Manita
26th February, 2013, 08:40 PM
Which os r u using? If yr box able to boot up, there is no need to reflash.
I don't know but i think is Linux and I use Windows Vista on my PC.
Yes it can boot but i reset it and don't know what to do next.
I think if i flash it then i can install that firmware DK v1.1.
And then i can search with transponder to find some channels.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Maybe i don't get it at all. I'm not a expert.
tnx

ypvs125
27th February, 2013, 11:25 AM
I don't know but i think is Linux and I use Windows Vista on my PC.
Yes it can boot but i reset it and don't know what to do next.
I think if i flash it then i can install that firmware DK v1.1.
And then i can search with transponder to find some channels.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Maybe i don't get it at all. I'm not a expert.
tnx

From the pic above, i think it is just a normal usb to serial converter and not a null cable although it looks similar. Previously, are u able to view the channels?

La Manita
27th February, 2013, 11:37 AM
From the pic above, i think it is just a normal usb to serial converter and not a null cable although it looks similar. Previously, are u able to view the channels?
Yes i watch channels last week with no problems and then i do a fabric reset on it because my cable provider makes some installation in my home which caused all channels disappeared.

If i buy this original Null Modem Cable how do i connect it with my laptop??
There is only 15pin input on my laptop.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5397/nullmodemcable.jpg

ypvs125
27th February, 2013, 01:25 PM
Yes i watch channels last week with no problems and then i do a fabric reset on it because my cable provider makes some installation in my home which caused all channels disappeared.

If i buy this original Null Modem Cable how do i connect it with my laptop??
There is only 15pin input on my laptop.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5397/nullmodemcable.jpg

The first pic that on post #91, is that a null modem converter on the back of yr dreambox?
Do have the backup image for yr box if u want to reflash it?

La Manita
27th February, 2013, 03:12 PM
The first pic that on post #91, is that a null modem converter on the back of yr dreambox?
Do have the backup image for yr box if u want to reflash it?
Yes, it's a serial adapter i bought so i can convert it to 9pin female. (original input on dreambox is 9pin male).

And you can see that usb-serial cable have 9pin male so i needed to buy serial adapter to use it.

I don't have a backup image.

ypvs125
27th February, 2013, 03:28 PM
Yes, it's a serial adapter i bought so i can convert it to 9pin female. (original input on dreambox is 9pin male).

And you can see that usb-serial cable have 9pin male so i needed to buy serial adapter to use it.

I don't have a backup image.

Yr usb to serial converter is a male whereas yr dreambox is also a male end. U don't need the serial adapter on the back of yr dreambox. Buy the female to female null modem cable and u will be able to flash via dreamup. But if u did not backup yr image, how do want to begin with?

La Manita
27th February, 2013, 09:25 PM
Yr usb to serial converter is a male whereas yr dreambox is also a male end. U don't need the serial adapter on the back of yr dreambox. Buy the female to female null modem cable and u will be able to flash via dreamup. But if u did not backup yr image, how do want to begin with?
So you'r saying that if i buy null modem cable i will connect one end to dreambox and the other end to USB-serial cable and so connect it to USB port on my PC ??

Isn't it same if i use serial adapter. I connect it to male input on dreambox so i can use that USB-serial cable.

ypvs125
27th February, 2013, 10:28 PM
So you'r saying that if i buy null modem cable i will connect one end to dreambox and the other end to USB-serial cable and so connect it to USB port on my PC ??

Isn't it same if i use serial adapter. I connect it to male input on dreambox so i can use that USBserial cable.

Serial adapter and null modem adapter are not the same although both can convert from male to female.

La Manita
28th February, 2013, 12:20 AM
Serial adapter and null modem adapter are not the same although both can convert from male to female.

Ok, i think i'll try with my brothers desktop computer that have 9pin male input and have windows xp installed.
I will buy that sob Null Modem Cable :)) and try to flash it.

I just did backup image on my dreambox with Flashwizard.

But i'm confused now after you say that if a dreambox can boot then i don't need to flash it.
1. How do i know if there is a necessary image installed on it??
2. How do i check what firmware this dreambox have??

ypvs125
28th February, 2013, 12:30 AM
Ok, i think i'll try with my brothers desktop computer that have 9pin male input and have windows xp installed.
I will buy that sob Null Modem Cable :)) and try to flash it.

I just did backup image on my dreambox with Flashwizard.

But i'm confused now after you say that if a dreambox can boot then i don't need to flash it.
1. How do i know if there is a necessary image installed on it??
2. How do i check what firmware this dreambox have??

Flashing is needed when yr box is corrupt and not able to boot up. When u on the box, what is the start up screen?

La Manita
28th February, 2013, 12:58 AM
Flashing is needed when yr box is corrupt and not able to boot up. When u on the box, what is the start up screen?
It's like this:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3839/dsc07122.JPG

ypvs125
28th February, 2013, 09:53 AM
It's like this:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3839/dsc07122.JPG

Your box is loaded with gemini image.

La Manita
28th February, 2013, 11:53 AM
So i must use Null modem Cable and DreamUp to install another image, right ??

And can you maybe help me with this network problem:
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/guide-connecting-your-dreambox-internet-175/index7.html#post1889039

La Manita
28th February, 2013, 01:41 PM
Your box is loaded with gemini image.
I **** it all up, i'm so stupid.
I connect my dreambox to router and I opende a classic FTP and choose Quick connect and it finds my dreambox files.
Then I added a dk v1.1 to temp folder and choose manual update on my dreambox.
It asked me if i want to install new image, i said yes.
And now after dreambox reboot i can only see DK start picture and it disappear every 5 seconds leaving black screen.
It looks like it can't stop rebooting.

I disconnect and connect all cables but nothing changes.
I can't either use remotecontrol.

I messed this up. :hmmmm2:

ypvs125
28th February, 2013, 02:39 PM
I **** it all up, i'm so stupid.
I connect my dreambox to router and I opende a classic FTP and choose Quick connect and it finds my dreambox files.
Then I added a dk v1.1 to temp folder and choose manual update on my dreambox.
It asked me if i want to install new image, i said yes.
And now after dreambox reboot i can only see DK start picture and it disappear every 5 seconds leaving black screen.
It looks like it can't stop rebooting.

I disconnect and connect all cables but nothing changes.
I can't either use remotecontrol.

I messed this up. :hmmmm2:

This is the part when u need to use dreamup. Previously, yr box is able to boot up, u just need to transfer the necessary files to make it up and running.

La Manita
28th February, 2013, 02:58 PM
This is the part when u need to use dreamup. Previously, yr box is able to boot up, u just need to transfer the necessary files to make it up and running.
I hope so.
I'm so impatient, i couldn't wait 'till tomorrow to get a Null Modem Cable so i do it normal way.
I just wanted to remove Gemini and install new image 'cause everybody saying that Gemini is ssshit.
But now i know that flashing over internet is not good.
I also read about that before i did it.
:shot:

ypvs125
28th February, 2013, 03:44 PM
I hope so.
I'm so impatient, i couldn't wait 'till tomorrow to get a Null Modem Cable so i do it normal way.
I just wanted to remove Gemini and install new image 'cause everybody saying that Gemini is ssshit.
But now i know that flashing over internet is not good.
I also read about that before i did it.
:shot:

I am wondering if u flash a new image what channels will u be getting since u did not have yr backup.

La Manita
28th February, 2013, 09:13 PM
I am wondering if u flash a new image what channels will u be getting since u did not have yr backup.
Yes i have a full backup on my computer.
I used Flashwizard and backup successfully.
I also write about that on page 7 ;)

I'll talk to you tomorrow and thank you so much for taking your time to discuss this with me.

Just to inform you that i read many guides and trying to learn and search for the answers but there is so many threads on DK that driving me crazy. It's not easy but i'll take my time.

goodnight.

ypvs125
1st March, 2013, 04:54 AM
Yes i have a full backup on my computer.
I used Flashwizard and backup successfully.
I also write about that on page 7 ;)

I'll talk to you tomorrow and thank you so much for taking your time to discuss this with me.

Just to inform you that i read many guides and trying to learn and search for the answers but there is so many threads on DK that driving me crazy. It's not easy but i'll take my time.

goodnight.

Did u backup the image while it was ok or after u have done the factory reset? If u back up while u still able to view the channels, then u r fine to flash any image of yr preference.

La Manita
1st March, 2013, 10:29 AM
Did u backup the image while it was ok or after u have done the factory reset? If u back up while u still able to view the channels, then u r fine to flash any image of yr preference.
Cable guy did som installation in my home and i loose all channels.
After that i backup image on dreambox and i have that file on my computer.
I guess he changed a network settings or something.

La Manita
2nd March, 2013, 02:49 PM
I also talks to Bomchacha in this thread so you can follow if you want.
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/setting-up-new-dreambox-firsttimer-12502/index2.html#post1891865

ps: i hope i'm not driving you crazy... :dontknow:

lemonlemon
10th April, 2013, 03:16 PM
Hi,need some help here please. My dm500c could not boot up, so i need to flash it with Dreamup. I went to buy an Aten adaptor and a null modem cable. Thing is, i followed the instructions here and changed port settings several times but Dreamup just keep saying that unable to open com port, aborting. Tried it with the version1.3.3.4 and 1.3.3.1 but still cant connect. What should i do now?..

lagerland
10th April, 2013, 03:24 PM
Look in the device manager m8 to verify which port its using first............

lemonlemon
10th April, 2013, 03:38 PM
Edit: Now its ok, managed to get to connection prepared part. Now i'm lost with "bootloader shld be copied to box" part. What does this mean??? Edit: Dreamup detected my box, but the flash button remains blocked..

promalta
13th April, 2013, 08:25 PM
having same issue like la manita using prolific usb to serial adapter has anyone found anything that works please i tried 3 different laptops but no luck im stuck on connection prepared tried all usb ports changed port numbers etc etc please help.

NT-Social
15th April, 2013, 09:44 AM
having same issue like la manita using prolific usb to serial adapter has anyone found anything that works please i tried 3 different laptops but no luck im stuck on connection prepared tried all usb ports changed port numbers etc etc please help.

i faced the same issue with prolific usb to serial adapter... had the exact same problem.. i gave up and dug out an old pc in office to directly flash with null cable.. not sure but maybe the prolific usb -> serial adapter is not creating the com port correctly?

chrisl106
13th November, 2014, 12:13 AM
Hi all, just today i tried to flash Commando 15 onto 2 black clone DM500s, I used DCC2.96 and both ended up with the same problem, stuck on the commando 15 loading screen! I tried to connect it through null modem with USB to Serial Prolific cable on COM port 1 but DreamUp is not picking it up when I turn on the box. Use network is unticked!

I tried reconnecting to it with DCC but it's not picking up an IP address for the box now.

Any ideas?

blueflash234
13th November, 2014, 10:31 AM
usb to serial there will be no driver for it installed you will have to source a driver, by using the search button above i found this

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/flashing-dreambox-laptop-usb-rs232-lead-help-wher-buy-lead-419897/

chrisl106
13th November, 2014, 08:48 PM
Found a computer with serial port so connected directly with the serial cable and it's still not picking it up

chrisl106
17th November, 2014, 01:02 PM
Turns out my null modem cable wasnt a null modem cable at all! Be careful of that, they look the same!